My New Homemade Hose!

Thanks guys! Sure! I don't remember the actual name for all the parts, but I am planning to make some more, so when I can get back to lowes (hopefully tomorrow) to get some more parts, I will take step by step pics of all the parts and the process and post it all. Seriously, these hoses cost like 8-9 bucks to make. The initial cost is a bit more because of the yarn and so forth, but you can use the same roll of yarn and same tube of pvc for multiple hoses. I'll list all the prices as well. Just to give you an idea on how big the second hose is, I took a couple pics of it standing up against my 36" KM ice hookah. I dunno, I just like big handles myself...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both hoses look great, well done. Is the tubing material pretty flexible or does it try to return to the coiled form? Nice windcover in the 2nd pic...

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Aug 24 2009, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both hoses look great, well done. Is the tubing material pretty flexible or does it try to return to the coiled form? Nice windcover in the 2nd pic...

Thanks! The tubing is not as flexible as say, the KM hose material, but it is flexible enough. It coils up a little, but not much in my opinion. I left it in my roommate's girlfriend's car for an hour to let it heat up a bit before working with it. And the windcover, lol, I like cheap stuff that works well...

I can tell you took a long time wrapping the yarn. It looks well. I do have some stubby headpieces that would have worked marvelously.

Don't listen to that asshole Sonthert, he's just jealous that he has no talent. I'm sure he knows you appreciate kidding around. Genital Herpes! *Achoo*

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Aug 24 2009, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! The tubing is not as flexible as say, the KM hose material, but it is flexible enough. It coils up a little, but not much in my opinion. I left it in my roommate's girlfriend's car for an hour to let it heat up a bit before working with it. And the windcover, lol, I like cheap stuff that works well...

The tubing I bought for mine was coiled really tight, it was at the end of the spool. Now I rinse it with hot water, give it a soak in hot water if I have time, then hang it clipped to a hanger on one end and attached to something heavy at the other (rubber band around a heavy bottle of window cleaner) to hold it relatively straight as it dries and cools. It is straightening up and gets easier and easier to smoke with it.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 24 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can tell you took a long time wrapping the yarn. It looks well. I do have some stubby headpieces that would have worked marvelously.

Don't listen to that asshole Sonthert, he's just jealous that he has no talent. I'm sure he knows you appreciate kidding around. Genital Herpes! *Achoo*

Haha! this coming from the guy who makes phunnel bowls....and I do enjoy kidding around, as you know tongue.gif I just didn't want to comment on it and look like a jackass before I knew whether you were joking or not, kinda figured you were...ya, I couldn't really find any headpieces that worked well, so I found he best thing that lowes had without spending a shit ton of money. I was thinking about making a headpiece out of smaller pvc, but that would require more connectors that I couldn't find and more money that I didn't feel was necessary for version 1.0. I think I may try to make something a little more extravagant next time. You interested in selling those headpiece you have? Thanks for the compliment!

QUOTE (Genie @ Aug 24 2009, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (delSol_si @ Aug 24 2009, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The tubing I bought for mine was coiled really tight, it was at the end of the spool. Now I rinse it with hot water, give it a soak in hot water if I have time, then hang it clipped to a hanger on one end and attached to something heavy at the other (rubber band around a heavy bottle of window cleaner) to hold it relatively straight as it dries and cools. It is straightening up and gets easier and easier to smoke with it.

You may try massaging it a bit as well...that really loosens it up. Also, as odd as it may sound, I think wrapping the entire hose in yarn also helped it become less coily and more flexible. But, wrapping it took a lot of time. You can't wrap it too tight or it will compress the hose too tightly not allowing the hose to bend, and it could cause the yarn to overlap itself, but you can't get it too loose or the yarn can overlap itself and you will get gaps from the yarn shifting.

The hoses look very nice! I am not patient enough to ever attempt a wrapping job like that. I would probably get bored 2 minutes in and pull out the spray paint.

Awesome Job!

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Aug 24 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may try massaging it a bit as well...that really loosens it up. Also, as odd as it may sound, I think wrapping the entire hose in yarn also helped it become less coily and more flexible. But, wrapping it took a lot of time. You can't wrap it too tight or it will compress the hose too tightly not allowing the hose to bend, and it could cause the yarn to overlap itself, but you can't get it too loose or the yarn can overlap itself and you will get gaps from the yarn shifting.

I do try working it a bit when I think about it. Thought about wrapping it too, I have the yarn. But, man, that looks like SO much work!

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Aug 24 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By the way, ironic that you should suggest it quite that way, I'm a masseuse!

QUOTE (Stuie @ Aug 24 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The hoses look very nice! I am not patient enough to ever attempt a wrapping job like that. I would probably get bored 2 minutes in and pull out the spray paint.

Awesome Job!

You can dye the tubing!!! And it looks really cool. Haven't tried it myself yet but saw a photo where someone else did it. The dye (Rit dye) tinted it and the guy says it doesn't come off on his fingers. He plugged the ends before letting it sit in the dye.

QUOTE (Genie @ Aug 24 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Stuie @ Aug 24 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome Job!

You can dye the tubing!!! And it looks really cool. Haven't tried it myself yet but saw a photo where someone else did it. The dye (Rit dye) tinted it and the guy says it doesn't come off on his fingers. He plugged the ends before letting it sit in the dye.

RIT dye works great and is cheap. Just make sure you follow the directions correctly and don't use any pots or pans you dye stuff in ever again for cooking or food preparation. The dye needs to be heated to near boiling.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are pics of all the parts I used for the FIRST hose. Next I will do the same for the second hose.
Note: the yard cost me 3 bucks at hobby lobby, but you can go to walmart and get it for 2 bucks. Plus, it lasts for a very long time. I wrapped two handles and an entire hose and still have PLENTY left.

Everything:

mouth tip and hose connection

tip that goes into hose port on hookah

connects handle to other connector thing

handle threading

hose (5/8" OD 1/2" ID)

yarn (again, this last a long time, I wrapped 2 handles and an entire 3 foot hose and still had plenty left over for more

and finally, the receipt with prices

I put the quantity needed for the FIRST hose I posted on here...total is at the bottom, well, plus yarn
6.25+some yard, so round it on the higher side to 6.50, not bad in my opinion

next I'll do the same for the SECOND hose and then show a how-to on how to put it together...unless you guys think you get the idea and can handle it wink.gif

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Sep 2 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this thing can be taken apart to really give it a good cleaning right?

I built 3 of these hoses last night (using Bulldog's thread). I haven't yarned it up yet though. I can completely disassemble it in about 2 minutes. I don't even see a need to disassemble it though - it's all plastic/vinyl on the inside, just stick the hose port side under the faucet and flush it out.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Sep 2 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Sep 2 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this thing can be taken apart to really give it a good cleaning right?

I built 3 of these hoses last night (using Bulldog's thread). I haven't yarned it up yet though. I can completely disassemble it in about 2 minutes. I don't even see a need to disassemble it though - it's all plastic/vinyl on the inside, just stick the hose port side under the faucet and flush it out.

i found it..thanx for mentioning his thread..we will see what i can make..lol

here is the second hose. I didn't take individual pics of some of the parts that were repeats from before

Here is my KM hose sitting next to the hose I made, sitting next to the pvc pipe

close-up, 3/4"

connector

receipt, numbers on right hand side

so, it does got a little more, not much. The PVC comes in like 4-5' pieces for about $1-1.5. If you want the same size handle I made, you can get three out of on piece. I just used a little handheld saw to cut it. And again with the yarn, you can get a lot of hoses out of one roll. Altogether, you are looking at about $7 for this one.

Yes, it is completely washable as far as I am concerned. The connectors would take a lot of force to get off. I really twisted them on there tight to get a good seal. The vinyl hose itself is fairly easy to take off unless you wrap it in yarn like I did. I wouldn't bother taking it apart, eventually the seals won't seal as well from all the stretching. So far I have not had the need to wash it and I use it exclusively now. Great thing about these is that if they every break, it only takes a little time and money to fix since it comes apart if needed and the parts are cheap.

Awesome awesome good stuff. Del you gave me the ground work for the idea, I just took it and turned it around a bit. I hope these hose ideas become more popular so that there isnt any need for buying overly expensive hoses. These ones never die and kick loads of ass.