Hookah Peeves

QUOTE (dakur001 @ Aug 6 2009, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only real pet peeve I can think of now is when people who I invite over to smoke with me just pick up my tongs and move the coals around without asking first, even if the smoke isn't harsh or I've moved the coals recently myself...I get that they're trying to be helpful, and if I were a beginner and didn't understand heat management it wouldn't irk me, but I have my way of doing things and it sort of gets on my nerves when people assume I don't know how to do it myself or just like moving the coals for no goddamn reason.

This is not a peeve, this would cause a fist fight over here tongue.gif.

I recently moved out of a house when I was living with my best friend

It was nothing personal just our lease ended so he comes by my new place a lot and we smoke together

and randomly he will move the coals on top of my hookah

I mean I know what I am doing if I ask you to move them then go ahead but he does it even while I am currently smoking geez some people

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 18 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many Middle Eastern people consider it quite disrespectful to put it on a table. A Table is for Halal and tobacco is Haram. The tobacco soils the table's Halal. I learned to smoke with Arabs, I still think the same way. Also, if a hookah is on the floor and tips over, usually only the bowl will break if that. If the hookah dives from the table, its more often a disaster. I think that is what some people dislike the most. Me included. Its your hookah, Addison, offend Muslims...see if I care. tongue.gif

Hahaha... This is so true. I actually saw this in Syria. I wanted to put the hookah on the table and my uncle jumped like something bit him in the ass and said, no that means you are disrespecting everyone around.

QUOTE (Amn_sinclair @ Aug 22 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i hate that none of my friends have their own hookah and they smoke mine all the time but never buy tobacco or coals then bitch if i dont have any for them or the flavors they like

I think I'm beginning to appreciate that I don't really have any friends to smoke hookah with. Well, I have one, but she's incredibly polite. And there's hubby of course, who has never tried to mess with my rig/coals/shisha. He'll simply comment on the lack of smoke; that the shisha might be getting too hot; or that it's burning great. He's never once even complained about a flavor. He's even overly careful with the hose--guess he doesn't want to risk breaking the hookah HE paid for!

BIGGEST PET PEEVE

People that light quicklights wrong, meaning don't focus the heat on the intend.

And my sisters bitching about how it smells.

QUOTE (IamWhee @ Aug 22 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BIGGEST PET PEEVE

People that light quicklights wrong, meaning don't focus the heat on the intend.

And my sisters bitching about how it smells.

Smell of the coals or smell of the hookah? The coal smell disappears so fast after it's good and lit, and hookah smells like the best incense on the planet!

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 18 2009, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many Middle Eastern people consider it quite disrespectful to put it on a table. A Table is for Halal and tobacco is Haram. The tobacco soils the table's Halal. I learned to smoke with Arabs, I still think the same way. Also, if a hookah is on the floor and tips over, usually only the bowl will break if that. If the hookah dives from the table, its more often a disaster. I think that is what some people dislike the most. Me included. Its your hookah, Addison, offend Muslims...see if I care. tongue.gif

Hmm i have never known/heard that's why people put hookah on the ground. Have always placed mine on the ground as well, it just feels better to me not to have a huge pipe on my table. Kind of obtrusive to me. (yes i did have to google to make sure i was using the word right)

QUOTE (Genie @ Aug 23 2009, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Amn_sinclair @ Aug 22 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i hate that none of my friends have their own hookah and they smoke mine all the time but never buy tobacco or coals then bitch if i dont have any for them or the flavors they like

I think I'm beginning to appreciate that I don't really have any friends to smoke hookah with. Well, I have one, but she's incredibly polite. And there's hubby of course, who has nevjer tried to mess with my rig/coals/shisha. He'll simply comment on the lack of smoke; that the shisha might be getting too hot; or that it's burning great. He's never once even complained about a flavor. He's even overly careful with the hose--guess he doesn't want to risk breaking the hookah HE paid for!

Yeah i have one friend who doesnt complain at all he is just glad to be smoking hookah no matter what it is lol. Maybe ill start tellin everyone i cant afford shisha right now and theyll buy me some

• 1 year later...
I hate it when I have the PERFECT session going....I'm talking perfect taste, great clouds and it's hitting just right. You're so stoked so you pass the hose to someone and say "try that it's awesome." They take a hit and then COUGH as if it's harsh. REALLY? They don't know what harsh is if they are hacking up their lungs over that.

OK so i have a few....One is your friends calling you saying hey im coming over set up the hookah when you are relaxing....second is those very same friends running your stash dry and not helping you get more...last people almost tipping over your hookah or wanting to smoke when drunk....i dont trust drunks around my pipe!

hose hogs.
i mean extreme hogs. worst experience was when i first started dating my chick, i would smoke with her and some of her friends on a single hose. No lie, they each held it for 10 minutes if not longer. drove me up the wall and back down again. I taught her the ways, she doesn't do that anymore

i saw a couple people saying they don't like it when people ash their cigs/light them off the coals. I see no problem with that, i did the same thing when i smoked. Ash is ash, and lighting off the coals is just convenient.

Slug, I mean.. Atmosphere.. I mean.. Lucy Ford, I think it's just a thing about etiquette. When it comes down to it, some people can actually find cigg smoke to be absolutely repulsive, especially in contrast to the smell of your Hookah tobacco. I mean hell, when you go from having the smell of fresh peaches, and Andes mint... To... That truly acrid and horrid smell of ciggs... It's a pretty big downfall. Especially when you happen to be enjoying one of these flavors, and some guy walks up, uses the coal to light his cigg, and then blows the smoke in your area.

You just went from having an amazing taste, to... Dull old cigg smoke.

[I smoke ciggs too, don't get me wrong.. But I fucking HATE the smell of cigg smoke. Just putrid.]

[quote name='kcK' timestamp='1297368642' post='497484']
Slug, I mean.. Atmosphere.. I mean.. Lucy Ford, I think it's just a thing about etiquette. When it comes down to it, some people can actually find cigg smoke to be absolutely repulsive, especially in contrast to the smell of your Hookah tobacco. I mean hell, when you go from having the smell of fresh peaches, and Andes mint... To... That truly acrid and horrid smell of ciggs... It's a pretty big downfall. Especially when you happen to be enjoying one of these flavors, and some guy walks up, uses the coal to light his cigg, and then blows the smoke in your area.

You just went from having an amazing taste, to... Dull old cigg smoke.

[I smoke ciggs too, don't get me wrong.. But I fucking HATE the smell of cigg smoke. Just putrid.]
[/quote]

i think it depends on the situation and i do agree the cig smoke is annoying when it interferes with wonderful hookah smoke. But i mean when i'm hanging out with all my friends and we're playing poker everyone is smoking a cigar(tradition) or a hookah so i always let my friend who smokes just use the tray in the coals.....on the flip side, if some doucher i didn't really know tried it i would have to add it to my peeves.

• 3 months later...
Figured I'd necro this thread instead of starting a new one.

But people who think they know how to manage coals much better than me, etc when in reality, they have no idea what they're talking about.

I have this friend that literally just started working at a hookah bar (less than a week ago and one that is of extremely low quality at that) before that, she had next to no experience with hookahs, besides smoking out of some crappy one her boyfriend got for free. But now that she works there, she's apparently a hookah guru. Last night I brought my hookah over, and a small group of us smoked. She wouldn't let go of the tongs for the entire night. She had never seen a phunnel before, and didn't understand the concept of how they worked, yet she still tried (and failed) to manage the heat on them. Then, when the smoke got harsh, and I finally managed to get the tongs from her, she criticized me on my heat management (which actually worked) and the fact that I purged. Apparently I don't know how hookah's work, despite owning one for 2 years, and a much nicer one than shes ever seen for 5 months.
/rant

Sorry. Really needed to get that out of my system.

my BIGGEST pet peeve is people who make bowls hot. They sit there, and take small little sips every once in a while, then when I go to smoke and feel like I just regurgitated my lungs they look at me like "what?!"

haaaaaaaaate hot smoke.

Neighbors Dogs. Smoking out on the back porch and reading a lot lately. Neighbors never take their damn dogs in...very irritating. I am never living next to a rent house again. .

i havent been smoking hookah very long but already ive aquired some peeves of my own...

1. when my roomates wake me up early (i work night shifts) in order to "get a quick smoke in" before i go to work.... its for relaxing, not to be rushed
2. when smoking my hookah outside and my 1st Sgt walks up talking about how im just "begging for attention" to which i just reply if your that worried about it well run down to the mp station, let me pee in a cup and prove to you theres nothing illegal, frikkin idiot..../rant sorry
3. when my roomate who visits lounges regularly decides i dont know how to set up my own stuff, bowl, coals, ect ect, even gone as far as complaining that the holes i poke in the foil are wrong.... and THEN doesnt do anything to help make it better lol.....
when i get on a forum to add my peeves about hookah smoking and i wind up ranting and bitching more than anything.....

oh and when the downstem snaps cause of the poor materials used to make the hookah...

1) Breaking in new hoses! absolutely hate doing this
2) Drunk people knocking over 1 of my shishas and burning the carper 8-)
3) People going at my windcover like its going to be ice cold :S
4) When someone blows really hard into the pipe

[quote name='Cloud9' timestamp='1297309608' post='497399']
I hate it when I have the PERFECT session going....I'm talking perfect taste, great clouds and it's hitting just right. You're so stoked so you pass the hose to someone and say "try that it's awesome." They take a hit and then COUGH as if it's harsh. REALLY? They don't know what harsh is if they are hacking up their lungs over that.
[/quote]
This

Hookah lounges who can't set up a decent smoke. The most common offense is giving people worn out Mya hoses.