"dry Tangiers" Can Ya Add Glycerin?

Howdy ho.

I have noticed all my sessions becoming decidely "dry," a tickle at the back of the throat with my tang over the last while after a period of 3 weeks to a month, which is annoying.

The juices have been "sucked" up into the containers I am using, and notice though I can rub the juice out with my finger, I can't get it into the shisha really..which myself and my friends notice, gives the tangiers less flavor and a dry taste at the back of the throat.

Not as fun.

The materials I have used are thus:
#7 Nylon
#5 Polypropylene / nylon

Which Eric lists in This awesome thread: http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=31247&st=120
If you are going to approach acclimation from this direction, just leave it in the bag it came in, which are nylon (#7 with an N under the recycling symbol), but I would recommend putting in a polypropylene tub. Nylon, polypropylene (#5), glass and polystyrene (#6) are good materials for storage. Polyethylene (#1, #4) and vinyl (#3) are not recommended. This is true for any brand of tobacco.

So I will be purchasing glass, though I noticed the #7 was worse then #5

However, I still have 2-3 medium phunnels left (so lots of smoking) of Horchata and Kashmir Apple / AF Mint mix (which is delectable).

Can I salvage this dry Tangiers with some glycerin? I will be trying it regardless, but I have tried in the past using the #7 tub - which really sucked out the juice - to add honey, to worse (not even an even) effect on the sessions.

Cheers!

QUOTE (redjako @ Jul 26 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howdy ho.

I have noticed all my sessions becoming decidely "dry," a tickle at the back of the throat with my tang over the last while after a period of 3 weeks to a month, which is annoying.

The juices have been "sucked" up into the containers I am using, and notice though I can rub the juice out with my finger, I can't get it into the shisha really..which myself and my friends notice, gives the tangiers less flavor and a dry taste at the back of the throat.

Not as fun.

The materials I have used are thus:
#7 Nylon
#5 Polypropylene / nylon

Which Eric lists in This awesome thread: http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=31247&st=120
If you are going to approach acclimation from this direction, just leave it in the bag it came in, which are nylon (#7 with an N under the recycling symbol), but I would recommend putting in a polypropylene tub. Nylon, polypropylene (#5), glass and polystyrene (#6) are good materials for storage. Polyethylene (#1, #4) and vinyl (#3) are not recommended. This is true for any brand of tobacco.

So I will be purchasing glass, though I noticed the #7 was worse then #5

However, I still have 2-3 medium phunnels left (so lots of smoking) of Horchata and Kashmir Apple / AF Mint mix (which is delectable).

Can I salvage this dry Tangiers with some glycerin? I will be trying it regardless, but I have tried in the past using the #7 tub - which really sucked out the juice - to add honey, to worse (not even an even) effect on the sessions.

Cheers!

I can't imagine Tangiers being so dry it tickles your throat. Nakhla is MUCH drier than Tangiers, and it smokes fine. The tickle at the back of the throat with Tangiers usually means you're using too much coal.

But on point, you can use glycerin and honey to revive dry shisha. Make sure it's food grade glycerin. Taste it before hand. It should taste like sugar, not like soap. Use it very sparingly, about 1 tspn to 250g.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jul 26 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the tickle is acclimation related.

Some flavors are drier than others. What flavor(s) are you having problems with?

Adding more glycerine will thin out the flavors.

Peach Iced Tea, OG, I acclimated it for 4 hours (typically fine for dry ol utah), had 2-3 AWESOME bowls.

The subsequent bowls were highly "dry" tasting. I then re-acclimated it for another night (leave it / forget it type), and still, it never came together.

Also, my Horchata Lucid, was great for 2 weeks, then also developed the "dryness" even when leaving it out for an hour prior to smoking.

I had this same issue when beginning my Tangiers odyssey, when I PM'd you the tupperware I was using seemed to suck all the juices out.

I'll have a vid up in a few min (youtube is slow), showing how much juice was absorbed.

QUOTE (redjako @ Jul 26 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppk1mcnhyhs

Juice transfer, note that though I'm trying to squeegee the juice out somehow, the shisha won't pick it up, and my fingers just push the crap around.

I'm not sure that the wetness of the shisha is an issue in this case. You can never get ALL the juices out when you transfer between containers. The juice that was left in the plastic containers looked just like my containers do when I do a transfer or a cleaning. Even the one that you said was jacked up appeared to glisten a bit. Maybe Eric can comment a bit more, but he's previously suggested (assuming acclimation doesn't change anything) throwing the tobacco in the freezer for a couple hours, then reacclimating. Best of luck.

In the summer, when its hot, the liquid becomes more mobile and makes it easier to get a bad fraction of juice (or too much juice for the first couple of bowls) leaving little behind. Make sure you are drawing tobacco off the top and bottom equally...after you stir it.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jul 26 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the summer, when its hot, the liquid becomes more mobile and makes it easier to get a bad fraction of juice (or too much juice for the first couple of bowls) leaving little behind. Make sure you are drawing tobacco off the top and bottom equally...after you stir it.

Indeed I do sir. I did add some dollops of honey to the horchata mix last night with some friends, and it didn't have that "dry" taste at all. The K-cherry of course was great, since its a day old.

Though I'm a huge Tangiers smoker, my friends are more sensitive to tickle, burn and the "dryness" but even they would note that it didn't taste bad, just dry.

If the dryness happens again (which hopefully I'm eliminating a factor with using glass, even if its placebo), I'll throw it in the freezer to test it out.

My Kiwi, Blackthorn, and Lucid Cactus Fruit taste dryer than a camel's ass out in the desert. Just read that adding glycerin willl thin out the flavors. Is there a difference in using honey vs. glycerin?

QUOTE (xpimpitox @ Jul 27 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Kiwi, Blackthorn, and Lucid Cactus Fruit taste dryer than a camel's ass out in the desert. Just read that adding glycerin willl thin out the flavors. Is there a difference in using honey vs. glycerin?

I believe glycerin, like Agave (though less so then agave) has less sugar, will lead to less dispersion of the flavor..though its still sugary.

Back in the day of loving steel plates and Fusion, I added jelly to bowls sometimes for more clouds.

• 3 weeks later...
Gonna bump this..

Is this acclimation lately? All of my sessions are great with Lucid, and all of my sessions are almost always crap with Tangiers OG.

My Horchata went south after 1 bowl.

Orange Soda after 2 bowls

Now I just bought two more packs: Melon Blend, and Summer Solstice.

Acclimated Summer Solstice 12 hours, then an hour pre-smoke at my friends house. Smells BEAUTIFUL, only has a hint of flavor the entire time with Japanese Golden coals.

I am reacclimating the Summer Solstice (overnight, 16 more hours), and the Melon, so I will update, but wtf is going on?

Al Fakhr is murdering Tangiers OG for the moment...and I used to get such lovely bowls sad.gif

QUOTE (redjako @ Aug 14 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gonna bump this..

Is this acclimation lately? All of my sessions are great with Lucid, and all of my sessions are almost always crap with Tangiers OG.

My Horchata went south after 1 bowl.

Orange Soda after 2 bowls

Now I just bought two more packs: Melon Blend, and Summer Solstice.

Acclimated Summer Solstice 12 hours, then an hour pre-smoke at my friends house. Smells BEAUTIFUL, only has a hint of flavor the entire time with Japanese Golden coals.

I am reacclimating the Summer Solstice (overnight, 16 more hours), and the Melon, so I will update, but wtf is going on?

Al Fakhr is murdering Tangiers OG for the moment...and I used to get such lovely bowls sad.gif

I'm not saying you have gotten bad at packing tangiers, but I am saying you should relearn to pack.

Simply because I had a similar experience. I used to get great bowls every single time, then they got less and less great, and then they'd only be good right out of the bag for a day or two.

I learned to acclimate a little better and went back and reviewed all packing info and videos and viola suddenly full of flavor again.

So I'm saying with tangiers the packing tech can slip sometimes I know mine has, so that might be part of your problem.

Yeah, its really the only constant variable I guess...I've just been trying everything:

Last night: fork super packed to the rim.

Then fork packed below rim

Fork packed 2 mm (decently low) below rim.

Super packed with fingers ABOVE the rim..

Nothing working sad.gif

Probably right though, weird having to go back to square one when I had so much success for 8 months.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 15 2009, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I go through periods where I overpack, overpack, overpack. I can't stop myself. Then I straighten myself out and get back to it. Perhaps you're overpacking and don't realize it?

I'm the same way, I'll have awesome bowls for a while, then all of a sudden for a few months I'll pack it wrong or acclimate it wrong. and I have to forget what I know and relearn.

Hrm, interesting to think about overpacking, as even below the rim, I sometimes find after 2 hours that juice has bubbled out the side of the bowl...yeh, just gotta get back to other things.

Unrelated, ima try to acclimate thesee two tubs of Melon Blend and Summer Solstice for 2-3 days, since they've both been fail. Always smell good, but, that dryness / crappy packing on my part biggrin.gif

Thx for the replies.

Or underpacking, potentially. If the tobacco is good at first and then gets worse, it sounds like acclimation. Do you just leave it open to acclimate or do you seal it up most of the time?

Adding anything to tobacco will dilute the flavor. The flavor amount is based on the mass of the other non-flavor material. If you add more mass, the flavor will have a lower percentage...become weaker.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 17 2009, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or underpacking, potentially. If the tobacco is good at first and then gets worse, it sounds like acclimation. Do you just leave it open to acclimate or do you seal it up most of the time?

Adding anything to tobacco will dilute the flavor. The flavor amount is based on the mass of the other non-flavor material. If you add more mass, the flavor will have a lower percentage...become weaker.

To myself last night I underpacked it down (more then in your vid, probably more like 4-quarter widths), but it was beautiful.

Why? I let it acclimate for two days, which I've never done for Tangiers here in dry ol utah.

Maybe a mod can change this title to "Dry tangiers? Trouble shoot" or something.

I'll try the Melon Blend tonight (which has also been awful) since its been acclimating for 3 days now.

If I'm not in danger of over-acclimating Tangiers, from now on I'll do 2-3 days..this has to have been the problem, as my packing is Typically pretty damn sound.

Thx for the replies Eric.

I had trouble with OG here in SLC, but I managed to load a really good bowl of Lucid after less than an hour of being open. I believe I even heard Santino say that we generally don't have to acclimate as long here during summer due to approximate temps of San Diego and just a bit more dry.