Traveling on an airplane with a hookah

I know people that bring back hookahs from overseas.. but has everyone ever tried traveling domestically, meaning within the US with a hookah? Did you take the hookah in your carry on luggage, or did you check the bag? Personally, I would never check it in, because they throw that sh*t around like crazy.  Just wondering, because I will be going on vacation soon enough and was wondering if it was worth the risk.  This might seem like a dumb question, but they conifscate nail clippers... so I rather ask before taking the risk. Have a wonderful day!

I packed mine entirely in my checked luggage from London to Dallas without issue. I wrapped the glass in two pair of trousers, and put it in the middle- wiht the stem next to it. had no issue at all- and Heathrow baggage folk aren't known for treating things gently!

• 2 months later...
If your luggage is searched, isn't it hard to explain to them what a hookah is? Every where I've smoked it, it has such a negative connotation. But I do my duty to be polite and inform them that it is NOT a bong. 

i think he was referencing more to the safety of the hookah itself, rather than getting it confisccated.
But ye, try packing it full of tissue really well and thn wrapping the outside in trousers or summit

I brought a hookah back with me from Turkey to Canada. Just simple wrapped everything in newspaper (thats what the guy at the store did) and then my base in bubble wrap. Then I wrapped it in my clothes right in the middle of my check-in bag. Everything was fine when I opened it up at home. Not a scratch.