Yet Another Tangiers Thread, But With Happy Ending!

So, this weekend, I decided to try something alittle different, in lieu of the recent nakhla, and Tangiers threads.. What got me thinking was, everyone is saying, pack Nak like Tangiers, and watch what happens. Now, when I pack Tangiers, I've followed most of the vids that show everyone either scooping up, or dropping a crap load of shisha into the phunnel, and packing it down. While this works 60% of the time, it's definitely not consistent. When I pack Nak, though, every time its the bomb. Hits great, tastes great, MONSTER clouds..

So, I was thinking, could it be better if I packed it like Tangiers?? So I tried it, and it sucked.. thin, whispy smoke.. So this got me thinking some. Obviously I'm packing Nak like I should, so why don't I pack the Tangiers like I do the Nak? I tried that this weekend, and low and behold, bliss.. Hit great, smoked great, tasted great, monster clouds.. Worked like it should every time. What's the difference??

TOO MUCH DAMN TOBACCO!!! I think alot of the problems with packing Tangiers, is that its stressed that you need alot of shisha in there.. Now, this is true in comparison to sprinkling it in, but I don't do that anyways when I pack a bowl of non Tangiers. I put some in, press it down, and put some more in with just my hands (no fork, or squishing it with foil). Just going around the bowl, putting some in, and pressing it down into place. Not very hard mind you, but enuff so that is definitely packed. My idea of a normal amount of tobacco, is probably more in line of alot in relation to the tutorials.

With Tangiers, I'd probably end up putting twice that amount in, as its VERY stressed to pack some more and more and more until you don't think there is any room, and then you pack some more.

So, if you are having problems with Tangiers, then maybe try backing up on the tobacco.. The idea of it sitting in the bowl, like it did in the bag applies, but it definitely doesn't take as much as I thought it did.

At the end of the day, it would seem the tutorials over analyze the process too much, and I should've packed it like I do my phunnel normally, from the get go.. Maybe I'll do a vid one day, don't get your hopes up..

Cheers!

Right on good2.gif I usually just drop it in there and get monster clouds like ya get. (tangiers) Edited by RogueSmoker

Yeah, I smoked the K-peach I've been acclimating for a while, and first time I packed it was "like it is in the log it comes in"... and there really wasn't any airflow, thin smoke, etc. I smoked another bowl just a little heavier than my average AF bowl, and it was great, thick and flavorful. Now I'm just trying to decide if I like the kashmir or not.

Grats on getting it going right! I'm just going to stick with doing it my way, it seems to be the most consistent for me. However, if it works for you, go for it. All that matters is that you're getting results--in the end, isn't that what matters? wink.gif

I just have to see if its consistent or not, as that's been my previous problem. Sometimes I get a good one, sometimes not... If I can remember, I'll try and pack it, then weigh how much I put in. Be curious to see how much everyone was putting in, in relation to their quality of session.

QUOTE (Barnaby @ Jul 14 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just have to see if its consistent or not, as that's been my previous problem. Sometimes I get a good one, sometimes not... If I can remember, I'll try and pack it, then weigh how much I put in. Be curious to see how much everyone was putting in, in relation to their quality of session.

Great idea

While it's true as long as someone is getting a good session no matter how they do it, it never hurts to have helpful hints for those who aren't. I've given every other method a try and always come back to my original so I'll try yours and see if it's my new standard wink.gif

I dont say pack in in there till i cant pack any more in, I just pack it in loosely to 1/2" over the top of the phunnel and foil it. Smokes well every time. It's not one thing or another, it's all of it together that gets you great smoke. Hole placement and numbers, packing, heat management and acclimation gets you the greatness of Tangiers.

i pak nak so its about 1cm above my small funnel, put foil over it and press down with my palm with the foil into the nak, till it wont go more down. then i tighten the foil and use a toothprick to poke holes all the way to the bottom.

Barnaby, seems the the way you were previously packing was wrong...and you're moving into the right direction with proper packing. Good luck.

Hope you enjoy Tangiers!

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jul 15 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its generally because there is no absolute scale to define how dense the tobacco should be packed. You can pile it up 2" over the bowl...but how dense? How do you compare that?

you look at how dense it was in the bag?

hahahahahha! it's called directions. biggrin.gif