Nakhla Tutorial

For cutting coals, this is what I use: Knife

Great knife and the serrated edge makes digging through coals super easy, clean break every time. I just take a piece of foil and lay it on a cutting board and go to town.

Just tried this technique with DA, very nice clouds and I have broken my losing streak (sans Tangiers) Thanks! I can finally enjoy my DA again! Yay!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, would this work with a MNH Jet glass too? Ive got some Nak DA and Grape and i havent been getting great results from it in a normal egyptian.

Is it worth me trying it in my Jet glass, with or without mod?

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jul 11 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heheh. Thats a good technique for Tangiers, too. smile.gif Its almost identical to that string of pictures I took a few years ago. Except your phunnel was a small and red. And we look different.

And people said my packing was causing my tang issues, that is garbage I say!

I did pack quite a bit more in when experimenting with Tangiers though.

QUOTE (Doubon @ Jul 14 2009, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+500000
wow I pack nakhla tight but i've never packed that tight
awesome post...improved my session so much.
thanks alot!

this always gets me...people say, "i pack my tobacco really tight" then i show them the density in which my tobacco gets packed, and they say..."oh, i don't pack it THAT tight."

if you say you're packing a tight bowl, do you actually call it tight because its "tighter" than your normal packing method? when i say tight, i mean...i take a fork or my thumb and cram that sucker down into the bowl...or i pile it up and use the heel of my palm to smash it down. Edited by arcane

I guess what I consider(ed) tight doesn't cut it . Now I know. I never crammed it down like matt did, just didn't make sense to do so until I tried it. Hookah is a constant learning experience for me.

QUOTE (Doubon @ Jul 14 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess what I consider(ed) tight doesn't cut it . Now I know. I never crammed it down like matt did, just didn't make sense to do so until I tried it. Hookah is a constant learning experience for me.

oh sorry....i hope you didn't feel like i was degrading you or calling you out. its just makes me realize how hard it is to explain to people how to do something over forums or the internet. i can say, pack it over the rim...and someone may sprinkle their tobacco in the bowl and find ONE leaf barely going over the rim and think they're done...when i actually mean, half the bowl should be sticking up over the rim.

pictures and videos seems to make a world of difference.

QUOTE (shaffaaf27 @ Jul 11 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
man i tried earl grey liek this, AMAZING! buh bye AF and SB hello nak

that was my reaction when i started packing down nakhla really tight like this. currently everything in my stash is nakhla (fak mixed fruits, sweet melon, mizo grape, mandarin and a couple others) but just a couple AF tubs (vanilla, mint, and esk apple) and a couple romman tubs i'm about to toss out.

QUOTE (shaffaaf27 @ Jul 11 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
man i tried earl grey liek this, AMAZING! buh bye AF and SB hello nak

that was my reaction when i started packing down nakhla really tight like this. currently everything in my stash is nakhla (fak mixed fruits, sweet melon, mizo grape, mandarin and a couple others) but just a couple AF tubs (vanilla, mint, and esk apple) and a couple romman tubs i'm about to toss out.

Would you pack Nahkla like this in a normal bowl (non phunnel), or is it a different process. Im about to get some Nahkla for the first time and I cannot

get phunnel bowls where I am (NZ).

QUOTE (mikeburns @ Jul 16 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you pack Nahkla like this in a normal bowl (non phunnel), or is it a different process. Im about to get some Nahkla for the first time and I cannot

you can pack nakhla in a normal bowl (egyptian, mod, whatever) any which way - loose, semi-tight, whatever...the only judgement i use is just to make sure the draw isn't restricted...

that's why nakhla is so great...it's so easy to get right, so forgiving, and soooo delicious!

the denser you pack, the more heat you'll need though...

QUOTE (mikeburns @ Jul 15 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i would say sure, go ahead BUT i would put something like a toothpick or a kebab skewer in/through the middle hole and just pack the hell out of it. if you pack tight like that and don't leave at least one of the holes open then you're going to get absolutely no airflow. if i remember correctly, before eric came up with the phunnel design, he packed pretty densely around the edges and a little more loosely towards the center of the head. i've never tried it but it's worth a shot.

Just put your thumb over the middle holes and pack densely around the sides like a phunnel.

Then just put a lighter packing in the middle where the holes are.

That way it is packed like a phunnel around the sides and the middle just has a light amount of shisha to keep good airflow.

QUOTE (joytron @ Jul 17 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got double apple in a can and its about as wet as AF, would you suggest still using this method?

Yes. In the tutorial i am using mizo which is soaked as much as AF depending on if the box you get is old or new.

I have seen mizo very very oily and lightly juicy and i have also seen it drenched like AF. (smokes the same either way)

The watermelon in this tutorial is just as soaked as AF.

BUT, the wetter it is the less dense you have to pack it.

Don't get me wrong, I still use this method, but for example : when you smoke OG you want to stuff it in there, because the drier or rather less oily, the less duration.

So if you pack it a little less dense it will smoke fine as long as there is some juice/oil there to take the tobaccos place.

I pack OG the same way i do in this tutorial except i pack it right up to the edge. In this tutorial it is a little below the rim.

Thanks for the tut mattarios2! I've been experimenting with other brands in my phunnel (besides Tangiers, that is) with moderate success. I will give your method a try tomorrow as it looks promising.

Thanks for sharing!