Wetshaving

Zinite

So I just purchased a Merkor safety razor set. It was about $65 for the razor, 110 blades (blades are good for about 10 uses), badger hair brush and some Conk soap in hopes of stopping razor burn, ingrown hairs and saving a butt load of money by not spending $10 for 3 disposable razor heads.

Does anyone here use a safety razor or straight blade to shave?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about 6 years ago I started shaving in the shower using body wash with moisturizer instead of shaving cream. Never looked back. no Ingrown hairs, no cuts. Just been using a Mach 3 for years.

body wash > shaving cream

No joke. As long as it lubricates... who cares? I could do without the drying-out-of-the-skin Edited by Dr. B

I've used a straightrazor in the past. Worked great. Had baby-smooth skin for a week w/ no hair growth. I'd use Axe Snakepeel for the times I'd shave in the shower (*cough*cough*). I stick with one of those 5 blade Fusion shavers and your regular shaving gel/creme. I can't say I've ever had to deal with ingrown hairs, razor burns, or cuts.

Right now I shave like my dad showed me, disposable razor and shaving cream. I use some moisturizing, softening shave cream from Dermatologica (nice, but expensive). I'd really like to try straight razor shaving, heard very good things about it, but it seems very expensive (looking online at least). I'm tempted to go to a spa up here and get a straight blade shave though

first and last time I ever used femme shaving cream on my legs, followed directions...was one of those aerosol types...(specified for shaving, I was in boot camp, and it was foo foo raspberry crap)....lo and behold, before the razor ever touched my legs, I had a reaction, and I'll be damned if that cr@p doesn't even wash off! You HAVE to shave it to get the cream off. SO I sat there scrambling to shave as fast as humanly possible in what I thought was supposed to be a nice relaxing day for boot camp, with that 1 hr shower time. And nobody was even in the shower, so here I was possibly about to have a worse reaction with nobody to save me...I did live of course, but it was pure hell. My legs looked like I was whipped 1000 times. :-/

I use moisturizing soap. biggrin.gif

I use aveno shaving cream and it works great.I was thinking about trying a straight edge but is it easy to cut yourself bad using one?

I use the Fusion Shave cream with moisterizer and the electric fusion blade, never had issues with cutting/ingrown hairs or anything of the sort.

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Jul 7 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right now I shave like my dad showed me, disposable razor and shaving cream. I use some moisturizing, softening shave cream from Dermatologica (nice, but expensive). I'd really like to try straight razor shaving, heard very good things about it, but it seems very expensive (looking online at least). I'm tempted to go to a spa up here and get a straight blade shave though

The start up cost is about 70 bucks. The kicker though is that a pack of 100 blades is less than $20 (A blade can be used for about 7 shaves). You can shave for more than 2 years on one pack of blades for $20. You save money in the long run compared to disposable razor heads.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Jul 8 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The start up cost is about 70 bucks. The kicker though is that a pack of 100 blades is less than $20 (A blade can be used for about 7 shaves). You can shave for more than 2 years on one pack of blades for $20. You save money in the long run compared to disposable razor heads.

This is for a safety razor though, right? Whats the diff between a safety razor and straight blade, other than the look of each?

QUOTE (Jeff_T @ Jul 8 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Zinite @ Jul 8 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is for a safety razor though, right? Whats the diff between a safety razor and straight blade, other than the look of each?

Different method of shaving I guess. A safety razor uses a double sided blade.

I use a straight razor. It's awesome. I have lots of facial hair and it's tough. The german double blades I get from "The Art Of Shaving" work really well. I found all the domestic ones you get at the grocery to suck.

I use C.O. Bigelow's Premium Shave Cream. It has eucalyptus oil and peppermint in it. 10/10.

The razor was bought from "The Art Of Shaving" - http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/produ...1&trk=group

I love shaving this way... no bumps/irritation/problems in general.

whatever shaving cream is in the shower + my fusion = whatever. it's just shaving...

not sure what a safety razor is...however, if it's extremely economical...i'm down. normally, everything on my body gets shaved minus my eyebrows....

ha! how's that for a mental picture!

I shave with a straight and I love it. If you make the switch, you cut down on waste, save money, and achieve the closest shave ever when you switch from cartridges to a straight. I would highly recommend it. check out some of these sites:
http://www.straightrazorplace.com (forum + wiki)
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com, http://www.classicshaving.com, http://www.straightrazordesigns.com (stores)

If you invest in some quality gear, you will be set for life for shaving. and what's more badass than skillfully wielding a razor sharp blade around your throat? Edited by MN_Clouds

QUOTE (MN_Clouds @ Jul 9 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what's more badass than skillfully wielding a razor sharp blade around your throat?

10 hot chicks holding 3 hookahs...one hookah in each hand and the other, well...hahaha....

not to mention 100 kilos of Tangiers and Nakhla...

My wife ordered me a safety razor and a super badger hair brush and some kind a 35 dollar shaving cream. My wife kicks arse.

I switched to electric awhile ago, since my skin is pretty sensitive, and anything like a mach 3 gives me serious breakouts. Been thinking of stealing my dad's straight razor he never uses, and giving it a whirl. But, I'd be hard pressed to give up me Braun Activator.. baby smooth everytime, with almost zero irritation.

Well I can't speak for everyone because due to my heritage I don't have a ton of facial hair lol. But I still enjoy being able to shave with a double sided safety razor or a straight blade, boar hair brush, and a nice block of shaving soap. Just something about the ritual of it that seems vintage, manly, and very relaxing.

Personally read up on how to shave with it before you use it, then the first few times make sure you have a good amount of time before you have to be anywhere. Also I'd highly recommend a styptic pencil Linky to pic it burns like a bitch but instantly stops any bleeding that you might cause. You can pick one up at walmart for just $0.75.

keep you blade sharp, make sure you take your time lathering the soap. Those are some of the best suggestions I have.

Most of all Enjoy the art of manliness wink.gif

For really quick on the go shaves, for heavy haired people, I recommend the Gillette fusion with 5 blades and "Beard Buster" shaving cream about a buck at walmart. I find I get less irritation with it than the expensive stuff.

My facial hair grows very very fast. I grew up using a safety razor and always used one with great results until I hit my 20's and got lazy. Now I just buzz it off every couple days with an electric trimmer/edger.