Sailing On My Porpoise - Now With Pics!

delSol_si

Hey, anyone know how to sail a sailboat? I have an old 1970's Super Porpoise sailboat that I found lying against our boathouse. It has been there for years but I just recently noticed it. I have found all the components needed to sail, but don't know how to sail. This boat is very similar to the Sunfish.

Instead of having two seperate sailes and a mast in the center, it just has one huge sail that is held up by a mast and it has a rutter in the back that you control. This isn't your typical sailboat that has a steering wheel or a trolling motor, this is pretty bare bones.

I also could use advice on where to buy replacement parts, specifically a sail. All of the parts work, but they are 30 years old at least (one of the old license stickers is dated 1976) and the sail has seen better days. I am affraid the sail probably won't last a very long time. The only two parts I am concerned about right now are the sail and the rings to hold the sail on, and I guess the seal between the boat, but I am assuming I can seal it with anything I please. I am assuming that going down wind (with the wind) should be pretty easy, but I have no idea how to go upwind(against the wind). I know you zig zag at different angles, but that is about it. I have watched a few videos and notice some people who were able to just sail right around a bouy(sp) with no problems, so I know it is possible to control it even upwind.

Anyway, anyone have know how to sail that could give me a few tips? Thanks!

Here is an old picture I found of a either a Sunfish or a Super Porpoise that looks similar to mine, I will load pics of mine next time I put it together.

Edited by delSol_si

My dad has a small sunfish, fun little boat to sail. As far as finding a replacement sail or fixing the one you have, you can go to places that specialize in canvas or you could find a sailmaker online. Sunfish are really common boats and are still manufactured so finding parts shouldn't be too hard. Sailing with the wind is pretty easy, sailing upwind takes a little more effort, you have to zig zag back and forth, its called tacking. Its possible to control the boat upwind but only for very short periods of time. Best advice is to do some research on sailing techniques and get familiar with the rigging and sail either with someone who knows what they are doing to learn basics. And most importantly watch out for the boom, the horizontal part of the mast. If you don't watch it and the wind catches the sail wrong it WILL whip across really fast and hard. IF your lucky the worst it will do is leave you with a knot on your head and one hell of a headache. Edited by Capt. Morgan

QUOTE (Lunatic768 @ Jul 10 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Christopher The Great @ Jul 10 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love sailing. My dad lives on a 52' Benateau and I have a Hobie Cat 16'. Hobies are fun as shit to sail. Sunfish are pretty damn fun also, try capsizing them, thats really fun.

+1

nothing better IMO
other than maybe a motorboat

A motorboat?!?

Why use a motor when you can scoot around on a sailboat imo!

QUOTE (firecrafter695 @ Jul 11 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Lunatic768 @ Jul 10 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Christopher The Great @ Jul 10 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love sailing. My dad lives on a 52' Benateau and I have a Hobie Cat 16'. Hobies are fun as shit to sail. Sunfish are pretty damn fun also, try capsizing them, thats really fun.

+1

nothing better IMO
other than maybe a motorboat

A motorboat?!?

Why use a motor when you can scoot around on a sailboat imo!

dont get me wrong, my father has a hobie cat and it is a LOT of fun
WHEN THERES ENOUGH WIND
when its not windy, you are just kind of puttering around
and those are the days i wished i could just turn the key, have 200 hp revv up and go

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (RingsMaster @ Aug 3 2009, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats a nice boat man

Thanks! Its actually kinda a POS, but it gets the job done and is fun smile.gif BUT for as old as it is and how little maintenance and attention it has received since I cleaned it off, its pretty good.

Every time I flip it on its side it makes some clunking sounds. It does also take on water, but is filled with Styrofoam so it will never sink, I just drain the water out after I am done. There are two little holes in the place my feet are at and two holes under the boat in the same spot, which I am guessing is a drain, so maybe it is supposed to take on some water, who knows. The sail has a few rips and holes as you can see, and a big blue patch at the top, still works though smile.gif The nice thing is that the keel and the rudder are made out of a really nice wood...