Hookah Mat Idea

QUOTE (Stuie @ Jun 29 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had a thought.

If you have one of those Restaurant Supply Companies in your town you can buy a used no slip kitchen mat that would help absorb bounces also.

you made me realize that my work has those huge no slip rug/mats and we throw older ones away fairly regularly. They're like 7x5 or something.

Since I've only got my little Bambino, the coal doesn't have far to fall, but I did have several nasty incidents thanks to the tiny tray it comes with. Solution? Bought a bigger tray then took this cheap, round, particle board topped, three legged table I've been carrying around since high school, cut a piece of cardboard to fit the top and covered the cardboard with glue then with heavy duty foil. Threw a pretty table cloth over the table and laid the foil covered cardboard on top. The table top is about 22 inches across and, so far, it's kept my floor safe except for one coal that practically exploded when I went to move it (you know how a tiny coal can get--I'm more careful with those now).

I also found a big, huge, round, thick, heavy piece of milk glass stuff at a Goodwill, bought it for .99. It's 14 inches across, I set that on the table and cut a piece of that shelf lining/non-skid rubber mat stuff the size of the bottom of the vase so now the Bambino isn't at risk of sliding around.

So far, so good. And if the foil tears on the table top cardboard cover thingie, I can just glue a new piece of foil over the tear. It ought to look kind of cool in a few years with layers and layers of bits of foil glued onto it.

Kind of annoyed with myself though--was in an Asian market the other day and they had long bamboo mats (for sleeping? working on the floor?). I bet they were cheap and one or two of them probably would have been perfect to lay down under the table as back up protection.

QUOTE (antouwan @ Jun 30 2009, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at some arab grocers they carry these fucking MASSIVE metal trays. two of my cousins have them, and whenever they smoke those come out. they have to be at least 2.5' to 3' in diameter

I REALLY want one of those. It would look awesome with the hookah.

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 30 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also found a big, huge, round, thick, heavy piece of milk glass stuff at a Goodwill, bought it for .99. It's 14 inches across, I set that on the table and cut a piece of that shelf lining/non-skid rubber mat stuff the size of the bottom of the vase so now the Bambino isn't at risk of sliding around.

So far, so good. And if the foil tears on the table top cardboard cover thingie, I can just glue a new piece of foil over the tear. It ought to look kind of cool in a few years with layers and layers of bits of foil glued onto it.

Would like to see pics of that!!

Come to think of it, while I was at Goodwill I saw several large, thick, glass trays that I think all came from old microwaves. There was a huge nearly square one and several large round ones. Any of those would be great for a hookah.

Having a mat isn't a bad idea, but I have another tip hat has worked for me. Take a wind cover, and cut the bullet nose (i.e. the top) of the cover off. Put that arond the bowl. It will fit like a regular wind cover, but act like a fence if a coal falls/rolls off. Cutting the top off will keep it from being a real wind cover since in my experience, it is difficult to contol the heat with wind covers.

Obviously, this doesn't work for cases where you knock/pull the pipe over, but it does help more than one might think. All you need are some tin snips and some sandpaper to deburr the edge after you cut it.

QUOTE (AmunRa @ Jun 30 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having a mat isn't a bad idea, but I have another tip hat has worked for me. Take a wind cover, and cut the bullet nose (i.e. the top) of the cover off. Put that arond the bowl. It will fit like a regular wind cover, but act like a fence if a coal falls/rolls off. Cutting the top off will keep it from being a real wind cover since in my experience, it is difficult to contol the heat with wind covers.

Obviously, this doesn't work for cases where you knock/pull the pipe over, but it does help more than one might think. All you need are some tin snips and some sandpaper to deburr the edge after you cut it.

I have done this before in the past with foil, it had saved my ass a few times.

Another good suggestion. BTW I havent had any time today to take pics. I will try to take some tomm, or Thursday.

-Mike

QUOTE (Genie @ Jun 30 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 30 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Genie, is that mug full of sand?

Yup, I use it to carry coals around.

Doesnt that put out the coals? What type are you using?

I'm liking this idea to move my coals from the stove to the hookah. I was thinking I may need to invest in a coal carrier but if this works out great then I wont even bother.

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 30 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesnt that put out the coals? What type are you using?

I'm liking this idea to move my coals from the stove to the hookah. I was thinking I may need to invest in a coal carrier but if this works out great then I wont even bother.

No, it doesn't put them out. For one, I'm only walking from the kitchen into the living room with them. I put the ashiest side of the coals down on top of the sand and tip the cup a bit as I'm walking to the hookah so the passage of air heats up the top of the coals well then put that side on top of the bowl. Also, the sand helps insulate the cup so it doesn't get so hot and helps keep an extra coal hot for a while. I'm using Shishaco coals. I have some Coco Naras but so far, I prefer the Shishacos. But I'm still a noob, I may change my mind in time.

QUOTE (AmunRa @ Jun 30 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fashioned a wind cover out of several layers of heavy duty foil, punched holes in it and everything, but it sucks. I think I'll remove the top of it though, this is a great idea, you just can't help but bump the table every now and again. Edited by Genie

my cousin has a coal carrier that he just lets the old ash build up in and he buries the coals in there. the coals he doesn't use he buries and the ash insulates and prevents them from burning out uber quick. i still don't get how the coals don't go out - they're uber 'submerged'.