Hookah Mat Idea

Alright I have been thinking for a while....I hate smoking inside cuz I dont want to burn a hole in the rug or floor. While I came up with an Idea to help prevent this.

For a while I hav been using a baking sheet under my hookah to keep it from rocking on the rug and from the chance that the coals might fall on the floor. Well its a pain to keep taking out my mom's baking sheet and returning each time I smoke.

I thought it would be a good idea to make a type of mat for coals. Here it is.

Go to home depot or lowes, they have precut 2 ftX 2 ft sheets of 1/2 in and 3/4 inch ply wood for about 3 -4 bucks
12inX 12in tile is about a buck you will need 4 pieces.

Get a tube of liquid nails i think there is a type for tile. 3-4 bucks

glue the tile down to the plywood and let it dry. Now you have a nice size mat to put you hookah on. This should help protect your floor from burns in it. If the hookah tips over there is not much your gonna be able to do but this will cover you from any dropping coals.

Mods if you feel lik this should be in the how to forum please do.

-Mike

I usually use an old part of a carpet that has like 20 burn marks on it already. It looks crappy but beats getting screamed at by the wife for holes in the carpet.

I have seen people use a large metal or wood base to protect the carpet. Now I manage moving coals alot better than before. I have not had any accidents - knock on wood - for over a year now.

I just use an hold rug I got from craigslist for free. Does the job

QUOTE (Moefasaaa @ Jun 28 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sketchy bro. Hit up CL for a free rug?
I hope semen stains aren't flammable cuz that shit will light UP when you drop a coal on it wink.gif

I <3 Craigslist for its blatant debauchery.

i dunno what' i'm going to use when we get our own place...i'll let the lady figure that one out. just gonna say, "well, i'm smoking hookah...how are YOU gonna make sure I don't mess up YOUR floors?!"

hahahaha!!

sounds like a good idea, maybe put some hinges on it so you could fold it in half? I just might try this. We just had our carpet changed out in the entire living room because of coal burns. Wife was not happy at all imotion24.gif

QUOTE (The Caterpillar @ Jun 28 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Moefasaaa @ Jun 28 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sketchy bro. Hit up CL for a free rug?
I hope semen stains aren't flammable cuz that shit will light UP when you drop a coal on it wink.gif

I <3 Craigslist for its blatant debauchery.

I dont even want to KNOW how you know that. How ever it is, I'm sure the story would scar me for life.

To the point of the original idea...I would go out and buy a mat of rubber or something, tack it to a lightweight board and use that. Have it be 3 feet square.

QUOTE (anathema @ Jun 29 2009, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dont forget, coals sometimes rollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

and/or completely explode upon impact on a hard surface. nothing worse than stepping on a tiny burning hot coal shard and have it go straight in your foot.

QUOTE (antouwan @ Jun 29 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (anathema @ Jun 29 2009, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dont forget, coals sometimes rollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

and/or completely explode upon impact on a hard surface. nothing worse than stepping on a tiny burning hot coal shard and have it go straight in your foot.

The only good thing about that prospect is that the wound is self-cauterizing. I hate that though, blisters on the feet = lose. I bought some cheap rugs at Big Lots, but I do worry since it's about the size of a door mat, I'm thinking of a larger area rug (like a 5x5) because of the rolling issue and because hell, even the hookah is tall enough to fall over and deposit burning hot coals outside of my designated coal catching area! DOH!

-Z

$1 2x4 clearance rug from Target! Dont care about burn marks and the fabric deadens the fall more I feel a hard surface would.

You guys have the point about coals rolling, i havent had a rolling incident yet, normally its when i dont ash the coal for a while and pick it up and it falls out of the thongs. The things I dont like about fabric/rugs is it does burn and the hookah doesnt always sit level, with the title it gives you more of a level surface for the hookah to sit on. Like I said this isnt to avoid every incident but its to help prevent some.

I went out and did this today the total bill was $11, total time it took was about 15 mins. I'll post pics later if you guys would like.

-Mike

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 29 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went out and did this today the total bill was $11, total time it took was about 15 mins. I'll post pics later if you guys would like.

-Mike

oh yeah definately post some pics, by the way whats that square footage of the one you made? I do like the idea of 5X5

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 29 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys have the point about coals rolling, i havent had a rolling incident yet, normally its when i dont ash the coal for a while and pick it up and it falls out of the thongs. The things I dont like about fabric/rugs is it does burn and the hookah doesnt always sit level, with the title it gives you more of a level surface for the hookah to sit on. Like I said this isnt to avoid every incident but its to help prevent some.

-Mike

what about all of the pro's and none of the cons? could you make it two-piece? i feel like that would severely cut down on weight as well. do the plywood and tile, but only one square of it, enough space to rest your base on so it has a flat, even surface, and put it on top of a cheapo rug. best of both worlds?

this reminds me of the 'auxiliary rugs' that my friend and i would set up in my bonus-room back in high school. i had a bunch of these old, shitty, bathroom rugs that we would just line up side by side, about four of them. they saved my real floor, but man were they destroyed.

QUOTE (mjdx88 @ Jun 29 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Mike

piiiiics plzzz

QUOTE (chinodos @ Jun 29 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh yeah definately post some pics, by the way whats that square footage of the one you made? I do like the idea of 5X5

4 sq ft ~ 2ft X 2ft
Doing a 5 X5 your better off making a 2X 2 and then doing what he said VVVV or just get a piece of tile. Its going to be heavy...thats almost like installing 1/2 a floor

QUOTE (antouwan @ Jun 29 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what about all of the pro's and none of the cons? could you make it two-piece? i feel like that would severely cut down on weight as well. do the plywood and tile, but only one square of it, enough space to rest your base on so it has a flat, even surface, and put it on top of a cheapo rug. best of both worlds?

this reminds me of the 'auxiliary rugs' that my friend and i would set up in my bonus-room back in high school. i had a bunch of these old, shitty, bathroom rugs that we would just line up side by side, about four of them. they saved my real floor, but man were they destroyed.

I do like this idea. For home I cant, I dont have anywhere to keep the rugs. I also cant keep them laying out. At school that will end up how everything works out. This is my last year so i dont care about the rugs but I needed a sturdy base. I'll put this board down on top of my rug and so what if it gets burned from something rolling.

Also unless you have plywood sitting around, its easier and cheaper to make the 2 X 2. I mean you can cut the board down to 1 X 1 but that requires taking out a saw and making sure you get the lines right and so...on. Im lazy so this was the easy way.

If you do have plywood this it is then easy to cut the piece down and make it. It will come out being even cheaper too. Edited by mjdx88

I just cant see using a hard surface for me personally because my coals always seem to roll or bounce waaaaaay the fuck away from my hookah lol when they hit hardwood, less when it's a rug.

oh and yeah man pics for sure, love innovation!

Had a thought.

If you have one of those Restaurant Supply Companies in your town you can buy a used no slip kitchen mat that would help absorb bounces also.

at some arab grocers they carry these fucking MASSIVE metal trays. two of my cousins have them, and whenever they smoke those come out. they have to be at least 2.5' to 3' in diameter

=) I have seen those....I have had my dinner carried out on one of those..I forget what the thing is called but it was amazing. is was close to 2 ft long and filled with potatoes

I use an old piece of wooden tile that my dad left lying around after we redid our bathroom. Works like a dream but I used to use an over sized rubber bar mat. Both work equally well since my room has ugly shag carpet dropping a coal on that would be a little noticeable and my parents would kill me haha.