The Next 'it' Thing

HF helped me greatly in perfecting my sheesha experience. I am a curious person in nature and I am always looking to optimize my smoking session. HF brought me the wonderful word of Khalil Mamoon, Coco nara, phunnel bowls and washable hoses.

After 10 years of hookah exploration, I can honestly say that I am perfectly satisfied with my my daily smoke..But I ask myself (and fellow members), what would be the next 'it' thing that will redefine the hookah industry? Easily available natural coals, huge clouds of delicious flavor, washable hoses that guarantee only smoke (not rust), phunnel bowls and wide diameter hookahs are now standards. But think about it, 6 years ago, we were only dreaming of these!

So, fellow hookah maniacs, I await your opinions, hopes and dreams!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Jun 24 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
premium quality herbal shisha is my guess. With all the whacky laws there has got to be a lot of people getting serious and putting money into R&D

AHEM!

... still waiting for more of your herbal!

your not making millions off my ideas j/k I think i would be pretty cool to see a hookah base like those beer mugs that has liquid in it you just put it in the freezer and BAM! 10-20 minutes later pull it out and it's ice cold.

QUOTE (RogueSmoker @ Jun 24 2009, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
your not making millions off my ideas j/k I think i would be pretty cool to see a hookah base like those beer mugs that has liquid in it you just put it in the freezer and BAM! 10-20 minutes later pull it out and it's ice cold.

ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=14858

QUOTE (RogueSmoker @ Jun 24 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's called the SheeCool Hookah

http://www.sheecool.com/

QUOTE (Stuie @ Jun 24 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (RogueSmoker @ Jun 24 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's called the SheeCool Hookah

http://www.sheecool.com/

ahh right on, thanks stuie was looking for something like this.

QUOTE (Glottis2 @ Jun 24 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember a brainstorming thread about it a while ago, but I'm waiting for a good way to harness the heat of coals (or another source) without any inhalation of fumes from the coals.

god damn,you just beat me....

heat source alternative to coals or on a lesser level I think bamboo coals will be the new coconut.

QUOTE (Canon @ Jun 25 2009, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Heat source that is not coals
2. cheap, quality coals
3. a nammor that doesnt break apart a few months after you buy it.

1 and 2 gets my vote. but, i don't see this happening anytime soon.

QUOTE (Stuie @ Jun 24 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Jun 24 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
premium quality herbal shisha is my guess. With all the whacky laws there has got to be a lot of people getting serious and putting money into R&D

AHEM!

... still waiting for more of your herbal!

well, I wish I had more resource$ to work with sad.gif I've spent a lot of money on hookah projects in a relative sense. Maybe if I get a federal grant I can get back at it some day. wink.gif
The bowls and hoses may eventual generate funds to go towards it but not yet.

A source of continuous heat might cause some problems. Think about cabling being plugged to electricity, the added chance of fire if you fell asleep watching TV...Also, natural charcoal dies off practically at the same speed as the tobacco burns, thus giving the user a hint that it times to move the charcoal before it starts tasting bad.
The way I see it, what would be needed is an element that would be used in a similar fashion then charcoal. Something that you would heat up over a stove and then place over your bowl. After a certain time, we would remove the heat element and reheat it. The optimal time should be around 45 minutes

We need those material engineers to start working for us!

QUOTE (EvansLight @ Jun 24 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly think a working electric heating element would be the next big thing. A battery powered one would be even more awesome wink.gif

if/when battery technology reaches the point it can produce that much energy will be a great day for so many other areas of technology (cars, etc) that a battery powered "coal" will pale in comparison to the other feats that would accomplish.
The closest people I know of making huge strides in that area is Tesla Motors. They have pulled off some crazy shit over there.
If you read about how they built the battery cells and created a 3 phase AC convertor from DC it is amazing.
After reading up on what they've done I think we will see huge strides within the next 5 years in battery technology.

As I stated in the first post on the herbal that where there are outside factors pushing towards technology people start putting lots of money towards R&D in those areas. Give really smart folks resources and they'll always come up with things that blow away everyone elses expectations.

A battery element creating heat takes A LOT of wattage, believe me. (Think about it, have you ever seen something that cooks battery powered?) Also, battery are not enviromentally safe. Discarded batteries are highly toxic.

A plug in element would be an essential if you go with a continuous heat element. I am sure that there is a ceramic that can retain heat.

If the hookah community decide to start with a new heat source for smoking, we should take in account all of these factors.

It has been tossed around before using Lava rocks to replace coals the problem is heating them up and retaining the heat. Something like that would be awesome. Just reheat it between bowls.