Hookah Suddenly Making Me Sick

Hi, I just have a question I'm hoping some more seasoned smokers can help me with.

I smoked hookah for about 3 months. A dr put me on a medication that sucked. I got sick all the time, couldn't drink without flushing (face, arms, etc) and couldn't hookah.

I've now been off the medicine for 2 months. I still get sick from the smell of shisha. I cant even open the container w/o a wave of nausea. I really liked hookah. ( I use the camel snus packs - about 2 little pouches a day. )

Has anyone experienced a sudden change in their shisha tolerance? Does anyone have any ideas?

Luna

QUOTE (thebloodluna @ Jun 24 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I just have a question I'm hoping some more seasoned smokers can help me with.

I smoked hookah for about 3 months. A dr put me on a medication that sucked. I got sick all the time, couldn't drink without flushing (face, arms, etc) and couldn't hookah.

I've now been off the medicine for 2 months. I still get sick from the smell of shisha. I cant even open the container w/o a wave of nausea. I really liked hookah. ( I use the camel snus packs - about 2 little pouches a day. )

Has anyone experienced a sudden change in their shisha tolerance? Does anyone have any ideas?

Luna

Hey brother, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately it may just be something you'll have to work through... try ordering a strong flavor you have never smoked before, that would probably work.

When I was 19 my favorite drink was Cranberry Juice and Bombay Saphirre Gin. One night drank a whole bottle of the stuff. Was sicker the next day than I have been in my entire life. To this day just a whisp of that gin smell makes me want to projectile vomit.

Long story short, get different smelling sheesh and you should be ok.

I"m pretty sure the meds did it. I was misdiagnosed as bipolar and put on lithium for 2 months. OMG it was awful. No alcohol - it makes you flush like you're sunburned. Tobacco and candles made me vomit. No sex drive. And it turns out I didn't even need it.

I'm just wondering - the blood tests say the lithium is out of my system - so is it mental?

I will def try a different brand than my usual.

Luna

lowspeedchase may be right... you could have a conditioned aversion to the flavors you have... you body might have trained itself to respond (get sick) at the smell of the shisha you tried to smoke while on meds... now that the meds are gone you body responds even though there is no reason for it. One question though, you said you got sick when you drank before, do you still get sick when you drink booze now? If you do this confirms our speculation! If not I'll have to think more lol...

QUOTE (kvtaco17 @ Jun 24 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lowspeedchase may be right... you could have a conditioned aversion to the flavors you have... you body might have trained itself to respond (get sick) at the smell of the shisha you tried to smoke while on meds... now that the meds are gone you body responds even though there is no reason for it. One question though, you said you got sick when you drank before, do you still get sick when you drink booze now? If you do this confirms our speculation! If not I'll have to think more lol...

kvtaco17 - I've been drinking light to moderately since college (I'm 33 now) I never had a single flush with liquor until the lithium. Snice about a month ago (1 month after stopping the meds) I have been able to have 1 or 2 glasses of red wine or 1 jack and coke w/o flushing. (the flush feels like the flush you get after a heavy dose of niacin) The shisha didn't make me flush, just made my stomache roll. I still flush with more than one drink - so I'm thinking there still may be traces of the meds, after all lithium is a heavy salt *grumbles more about the screwed up medical community*

thanks every one for the posts so far. Another reason to stay off meds and stick with nature's cures.

Luna

QUOTE (thebloodluna @ Jun 24 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Luna

What shisha is it that you usually smoke (that makes you feel sick)?

Oh man, lithium... that shit ruins lives. But you use snus without issue, and get sick at the smell of shisha? Somethin wrong there, probably just mentally associated with illness from the meds is my guess. Your best bet is to try a completely new brand of shisha and see if you still have problems with it.

I noticed the same thing with me lately...I hadn't smoke all summer because I am living with my parents until school starts, after a few weeks, they went out of town, so I lit up a bowl and did not like it at all, made me feel sick. I am thinking that you and I both just have to keep smoking for awhile and hopefully the body will get used to it again. Either that or maybe old shisha? Not really sure how long shisha keeps, but the stuff I was smoking was a good month or so old, maybe old shisha causes it?

Well I will just reiterate what people said and add mine.

1) Could be psychological - Grab some flavors and brands you have never tried before
2) Could be bad shisha - Could be the red dye or the fact that it's bad and do the same as above
3) Could be the Lithium - Not sure how long your dose of lithium would stay in your system. You may just have to wait it out... and do the same as above.
4) Could be your senses - The drug regiment could have effected a lot of things in your head including how perceive certain smells. Could be just a waiting game or slowly reprogram your brain.

theres an association to deal with, a negative feedback loop in your head, you smell it you feel sick, you don't smoke but you want to, so you smell it and feel sick. Meditation is the key to all things in life.
By chance is it a double apple flavor, because they make me feel sick just thinking about them. I'm okay with that.

QUOTE (kvtaco17 @ Jun 24 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had this problem with my pregnancy, and continual issues with "Subway" subs....any other sub shop I'm perfectly fine in, but there's a smell that kicked my ass in subway during morning sickness, that continues to this day....subway used to be a favorite stop for me, and now it's pure hell. It's probably just a sort of conditioning.

I also have problems with drinking high alcohol content drinks and smoking hookah...even if it's only a little of both. Wine/very diluted mixed drinks seems to have less of that effect. The difference is it feels like my body is going into shock, so I just avoid mixing tobacco and alcohol...

I start on a mood stabilizer that's newer than lithium (lamotrigine). If it has this affect on my hookah smoking, I'll be pretty upset about it!