Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the tenth and final card:

7S Bill C.

Thats all the freebies there are.

Thanks. I'll be in touch soonish. If there's a flavor or two you don't want, send me a PM.

I hope the separate posts added to the drama. smile.gif

Anyone able to tell me how to fix this soy sauce smell. I keep it in a rubbermaid container and it smokes fine (my fav tobacco) but it smells like a freaking sushi bar. (I do like sushi though)

QUOTE (ih303 @ Jul 13 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have several flavors of Tangiers that I have tried acclimating over the past several months. I never got them to acclimate so they are currently just sealed up in plastic containers. Is it too late to get them to acclimate at this point?

Two of my flavors, Tropical Revenge and Pineapple, had been sealed up after a failed acclimation period, re-opened for a second attempt, and then resealed after a second failure. Is there some point that they just become spent? Should I try to acclimate them again or just toss them out?

I'm gonna quote myself here since I didn't get any responses before, and I really want to know. smile.gif

Cool thanks Sonthert! I am trying again today letting it sit out again and going to try for a smoke, but I am going to be outside and I am going to try for exotica japs. See how it goes. Ill pack more in there too smile.gif Edited by newjacksm

QUOTE (ih303 @ Jul 16 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have several flavors of Tangiers that I have tried acclimating over the past several months. I never got them to acclimate so they are currently just sealed up in plastic containers. Is it too late to get them to acclimate at this point?

Two of my flavors, Tropical Revenge and Pineapple, had been sealed up after a failed acclimation period, re-opened for a second attempt, and then resealed after a second failure. Is there some point that they just become spent? Should I try to acclimate them again or just toss them out?

I'm gonna quote myself here since I didn't get any responses before, and I really want to know. smile.gif

You should toss them into my mailbox...

QUOTE (ih303 @ Jul 16 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try the freezer. Keep it in there for 2 days lid off, take it out, let it sit for 4 hours, seal container. Open 1 hour before smoking and give another try.

Sonthert, I'm curious if you can ever "overacclimate" the good ol tangiers.

Here in Utah, due to how dry it is, I typically only need to let it acclimate for 4-6 hours. If I leave it overnight, it seems to kill the flavor slightly, and make it always "taste" dry.

I made a second bowl with what it seemed to be 3 peanut mm's over the bowl. It was quite difficult to pack it down because it was so much. The bowl it self was a bit better but practically the same. I cut my quarter exoticas in half and the taste was a lot better but the smoke wasn;t there. When I un-wrapped the bowl juices were leaking out the sides.

NewJacks: too much tobacco?

Ih303: Try throwing it in the freezer.

All others: Some flavors will fade out and CAN be over-acclimated. This is a switch in my methodology. Remember. I'm new to these problems...lots of people never have them (including me).

1. I have never been able to get any Tangiers to Acclimate. (True/False)
Not sure

2. I have tried different packing methods and none of them work. (T/F)
Yes

3. Tangiers always smells burnt or like soy sauce. (T/F)
Not always. But it always tickles really bad after about 15-20 minutes. Also loses all clouds.

4. I have tried leaving Tangiers out for extended periods of time, to no avail, it doesn't change at all. It still smells off. (T/F)
Yes

5. I have tried smoking it and it tastes bad. (T/F)
No/Yes... Tastes okay.

All in all I've had this stuff sit out for awhile. We use air conditioning and its not very humid here. (Ontario, Oregon look up a weather report.) I have the tangiers in zip-loc bags and before I smoke a bowl I leave the tobacco in the bowl for about 3 hours. Then I put 1 coal on and it runs decent (not great by any means) and loses the clouds and is super harsh after about 15 minutes. After that I take off the tin-foil and the tobacco is barely burnt. I'm either using a regular clay bowl or a medium phunnel.

Any ideas? Edited by Zooyork15

QUOTE (Zooyork15 @ Jul 28 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure

Yes

Not always. But it always tickles really bad after about 15-20 minutes. Also loses all clouds.

4. I have tried leaving Tangiers out for extended periods of time, to no avail, it doesn't change at all. It still smells off. (T/F)
Yes

No/Yes... Tastes okay.

All in all I've had this stuff sit out for awhile. We use air conditioning and its not very humid here. (Ontario, Oregon look up a weather report.) I have the tangiers in zip-loc bags and before I smoke a bowl I leave the tobacco in the bowl for about 3 hours. Then I put 1 coal on and it runs decent (not great by any means) and loses the clouds and is super harsh after about 15 minutes. After that I take off the tin-foil and the tobacco is barely burnt. I'm either using a regular clay bowl or a medium phunnel.

Any ideas?

I think the problem might be that you're taking tobacco off the top of the container instead of getting it from the upper, middle and lower portions of the container. Then it sits out and you foil it, but you've maybe taken the driest portion of the tobacco to smoke, so you get neither clouds nor good flavor. Mix it well, take from all three levels of the container. Pack it well, to how Eric highlighted in his North Carolina accented video. Use low heat and then increase it until you get good clouds, adjust as needed.

This thread is starting to crack me up.
is it?
A.some people just can't exept the fact they don't like tangiers
B.are way over complicating things and making it worse
C.having problems getting the heat mangment just right
D.just packing it wrong

I say heat mangment is the key issue for most.It takes a very deffernt kind of amount of heat.I've been smoking hookah 14 years and I burned through 1000 grams before I got the heat just right with the right bowl.

Its really not that funny when you have 250 g of beautiful tobacco which won't smoke well, regardless of the circumstances, its great of Eric to take the time to address this, although its outside the norm of what he has expected of his tobacco.

QUOTE (twoapplesplease @ Jul 31 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it?
D.just packing it wrong

I say heat mangment is the key issue for most.It takes a very deffernt kind of amount of heat.I've been smoking hookah 14 years and I burned through 1000 grams before I got the heat just right with the right bowl.

I think its 75%B and 15%A, with about 5% of C and D.

I'll be sending out the freebies this week. Please don't open the tobacco until I let you know the procedure. Please?

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 3 2009, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it?
D.just packing it wrong

I'll be sending out the freebies this week. Please don't open the tobacco until I let you know the procedure. Please?

Ok. I have gotten to smoke Tangiers correctly before, like I said it only good for my first bowl after acclimating on the foil. Once it goes in the tub for the day and the next day or two it just starts to taste different and flavor isn't there. Even when I leave it out to acclimate before I smoke it doesn't do the trick...

Sigh... true. I've only ever bought 3x250g packs (Kashmir Peach, Horchata, and Guava) and I've left them out for different lengths of time and continually mixed them between seesions, no success here.

True. I've tried my hands, using fork tines, and even a pseudo-oyster fork after reading through everything suggested here to no avail.

True. Actually I could have never pinpointed what to call the smell originally, but all three smelled this way. Guava was the most pungent and Kashmir Peach was the least but still didn't smell good at all. Horchata was in the middle.

True. I smoked all 750g hoping it would get better through more mixing or acclimation, but it never improved and I swore off Tangiers tobacco. The Guava took the longest to get through because, it simply stunk.

True. sad.gif Edited by ewsang

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 3 2009, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it?
D.just packing it wrong

As someone who had problems with Tangiers and then remedied it, I think it's a heat management issue. While my one sample is by no means a case study, I found that I was using too many coals (2 cocos on a small/medium phunnel works great).