Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Jul 1 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there you go. I must say I was expecting some random off the wall question like "do you typically masturbate where you smoke tangiers?"

Doesn't everyone masturbate while they smoke tangiers? I mean that's way to obvious a question for the first questionnaire, but I don't doubt we won't see "How many times do you masturbate while smoking tangiers" in the 2nd more involved round of questioning.

there you go. I must say I was expecting some random off the wall question like "do you typically masturbate where you smoke tangiers?"

QUOTE (Victim026 @ Jul 1 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't everyone masturbate while they smoke tangiers? I mean that's way to obvious a question for the first questionnaire, but I don't doubt we won't see "How many times do you masturbate while smoking tangiers" in the 2nd more involved round of questioning.

That was question 78... did you guys skip it?

I have not had any success with tangiers either, I live in Richmond, Va. Gone through 500g of tangiers trying to get it to acclimate (and trying to smoke it even though I didn't think it was ready) and I still have another 500g of tangiers I can experiment with...(bought them on sale from hookahlife or something I think, that's why I got so much at once). I'd be willing to participate.

If the tobacco is dried, unwashed, then cured with molasses/glycerin, then at some elevations/temps it would make sense that the humidity would not be able to loosen up the goop and humidify the tobacco.

I've heard of people adding a teaspoon or so of boiling water to a jar of Nak and shaking it before letting it acclimate. Has anyone tried doing this to loosen up the cure enough for the tobacco to humidify and not scorch?

Then again, that doesn't explain problems in humid atmospheres like FL

QUOTE (Sordino @ Jul 2 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have not had any success with tangiers either, I live in Richmond, Va. Gone through 500g of tangiers trying to get it to acclimate (and trying to smoke it even though I didn't think it was ready) and I still have another 500g of tangiers I can experiment with...(bought them on sale from hookahlife or something I think, that's why I got so much at once). I'd be willing to participate.

What flavors did you have no success with?

Most of the stuff that was on sale at Hookah-Life were crummier Tangiers flavors...Go ahead, fill out the questionnaire, PM me and I'll see what I think.

Hey Tangiers fans, I love you much, really. Appreciate your support, too. This thread is for people who are having problems with Tangiers. The last thing they need for their sanity is hearing some more people who say how Tangiers always smokes well. They have an honest problem and are looking for resolution. I hope I can find it for them. If you have some thoughts along those lines, please share though.

I have processed about half the questionnaires. I'll look at the other ones tomorrow.

Interesting it seems that there are so many factors that could possibly effect smoking. Bowls, packing methods, heat... Crazy stuff.

I don't actually know that any of them do affect Tangiers. I'm looking for the one that does affect it. smile.gif

Here is an observation. For those of you who have trouble acclimating,

If the weather is typically dry when you were trying to acclimate, the tobacco came out smelling dry, tobacco-y or with no smell.

If the weather is typically damp where you were trying to acclimate, the tobacco started out OK, but then turned awful, smelling like so-sauce or BBQ sauce and wouldn't recover.

Do any of you disagree with this observation? Please send me a PM if you do...

Here is the next set of questions for the participants...if you answered some of these in the 1st questionnaire, please answer them again in this one. Send me a PM with the answers...

1. What city do you live in?
2. When humid, do clouds or thunderheads build during the days and then break loose at night?
2a. Does it typically get foggy at night? At least in the general time period when you were trying to acclimate/smoke Tangiers?
3. When you empty the bags of tobacco, how much of the juice do you drain off?
4. If you stirred the tobacco, while acclimating, did it smell better or worse after stirring?
5. Does your air conditioning system have any humidity controls associated with it?
6. Does the humidity typically go up, down or stay the same throughout the day?
7. What type of plastic tubs do you use for storage?
8. How close is a refrigerator or freezer to where you acclimate/smoke?
9. Do you always smoke inside?
10. What other brands of unwashed sheesha have you tried?
11. How was your success with these?
12. Are there any other brands of tobacco that you have had no success in smoking, whether you think it was acclimation or not?
13. Are there any large heat sources/sinks near where you smoke/acclimate? What is warm to the touch near where you acclimate/smoke?
14. Again, would you characterize the humidity as dry or humid?
15. What Tangiers flavors did you find that worked (again)? Did you have success with other brands of the same flavors (If applicable, or similar flavors)?
16. What Tangiers flavors did you find didn't work? Did you have success with other brands of the same flavors (if applicable, or similar flavors?)
17. How would you characterize your sense of smell/taste? Poor/Fair/Good/Excellent?
18. Do you eat a lot of spicy foods?
19. How would you characterize your resistance to spicy foods? Poor/Fair/Good/Excellent?
20. Do you drink alcohol frequently?
21. What types of alcoholic beverages do you typically drink?
22. Do you use ice when you are smoking?
23. How close is a trash can to wear you acclimate?
24. Would you characterize the Tangiers when its acclimating in terms of consistency? Wet and runny? Dry and oily?
25. Do you use toothpaste when you brush your teeth?
26. Do you use dental floss regularly?

No...you don't know where those two questions are going. Dental hygiene is not in question...

27. Do you like garlic or onions? Do you eat them frequently?
28. Do you drink soda often?
29. If so, diet or regular soda?
30. What brand of soda specifically do you drink?
31. Do you leave the windows in your house open or closed typically?
32. Do you eat snack chips often? (Potato, doritos, Fritos, etc.) Which kinds, if so?
33. Do you use any compressed sprays, deodorant, hair spray, air freshener, etc.?
34. Do you use aluminum foil/plastic wrap when acclimating? Which one(s)?
35. Thick or thin? What brand?
36. Do you acclimate in the bowl you will be smoking, in the storage tub or separated out somewhere else?
37. Typically what percentage of the time do you leave the acclimating tubs of Tangiers open? 100% of the time? Almost never? somewhere in between?
38. When acclimating, how often do you stir them, again?

In regards to any natural or artificial bodies of water near where you acclimate:
39. Are they still or moving?
40. Are they agitated at all? (Filters, bubblers, waterfalls, etc.?)
41. Are they clean or dirty?
42. Are they potable (drinkable) or are they polluted?
43. Are there fish or other sorts of aquatic life present in them?
44. If the answer to 43. is yes, would a knowledgeable person in your area fish or collect animals for food from them?
45. Are they principally saline, brackish or fresh (drinkable)?
46. Are the bodies of water chemically treated at all? (fertilizer, pesticide, growth hormone, etc.)?
47. Is it physically more damp near the body of water than it is where you smoke/acclimate?

48. Would you characterize the amount of grass or other standing plants in your area as heavy, moderate, light or non-existant?
49. Are there any environmentally or ecologically hazardous areas near you? Areas that have some sort of problem with living thinks dying in them?
50. Does anybody in your house use nail polish, perfume, cologne, anything that has a scent or needs an organic solvent to remove?

Some of these questions seem unrelated, most of them are. Some of them are control questions to validate the other responses...

Antuowan...do get me that other survey ASAP. Thanks.

Do you want me to do this one Eric, from someone with Rare Acclimation problems for the flipside?

a month ago I got a new order of a couple flavors of tangiers. chocolate and Mint mix was wonderfull. Brambleberry was good. Orange soda has been awfull.

I tried acclimating.

tried acclimating overnight.

tried under packing, over packing, over packing a lot.

it doesn't taste like soy sauce

It smells wonderfull.

IT burns the back of the throat. Has only and intense orange sharpness to it. no cream, and its real rough. Not a juicy yummy orange, more like I was smoking a car freshener. maybe just the essence of orange.

tried little heat, lots of heat, middle heat (of course)

just wanted to let you know that the kashmire apple I got a few weeks back has acclimated and now tastes very good.I first let it acclimat for two days and tried smoking a couple of times and Yuk it was terriable.Hard to say when kashmire flavors are ready the smell of kashmire was so strong and I could't tell what it was supposed to be like.So I threw it in the back of the pantry and there it sat untill yesterday when I noticed the rest of my stash was gitting low.So I gave it another shot and wow it was really good ,best bowl I had in weeks. _sheesha2__by_Majunka_aurore.gif All the tangiers I've had really have been best when they acclimate for 2-3 days open then letting them sit on the shelf for two weeks sealed.Wish I would of figured this out earlyer most my tangiers is gone before its at its peek.Plus I found that coconara is too hot to the touch for tangiers but with two layers of HD foil it smokes like a dream.Just takes 8 puffs instead of 2 gitting started.worth it

QUOTE (twoapplesplease @ Jul 6 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just wanted to let you know that the kashmire apple I got a few weeks back has acclimated and now tastes very good.I first let it acclimat for two days and tried smoking a couple of times and Yuk it was terriable.Hard to say when kashmire flavors are ready the smell of kashmire was so strong and I could't tell what it was supposed to be like.So I threw it in the back of the pantry and there it sat untill yesterday when I noticed the rest of my stash was gitting low.So I gave it another shot and wow it was really good ,best bowl I had in weeks. _sheesha2__by_Majunka_aurore.gif All the tangiers I've had really have been best when they acclimate for 2-3 days open then letting them sit on the shelf for two weeks sealed.Wish I would of figured this out earlyer most my tangiers is gone before its at its peek.Plus I found that coconara is too hot to the touch for tangiers but with two layers of HD foil it smokes like a dream.Just takes 8 puffs instead of 2 gitting started.worth it

Wow that's a good idea with 2 things of foil to bring down the heat..never woulda thought!

PS: I will complete the 2nd survey asap Sonthert. Edited by FamiliarJoe