Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

I used my mini with 2 cocos.
White Grape still smelled great. Still getting that slight tickle. I'm thinking still under packed,
Dang I need my camera.
The other flavors all smell like tobacco.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading this thread and I'm jumping in now. I've tryed Tangiers Kashmir Peach in the past with no success.

I got an order today: Tangiers White Grape, Tangiers Pear, Tangiers Horchata, Tangiers Lucid Blue Gum Ball and Tangiers Lucid Melon Blend.

The Lucids came already smelling really nice so I've already stored them without any sort of acclimation. Tangiers Pear is smelling delicious already so I've decided to close it's container. White Grape isn't totally ready yet. I haven't opened Horchata yet.

When I give these flavors a try I'll let you all know and I'll also try to remember ro take some pictures.

Im starting to think that the whole acclimation thing is way over rated. The dew point the past few days has made drastic moves and I have seen little, if any, effect on my Tangiers. The DP went from 45 degrees before this low pressure trough came down to about 57-58 degrees during the trough period. Huge swing in the scheme of things. No effect, no shock, still rich and flavorful Tangiers. The DP is set to drop back down again the middle of this week with high pressure building back in. We'll see how this continues to develop. My hunch is that, once again, the effect will be minimal.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Sep 14 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im starting to think that the whole acclimation thing is way over rated. The dew point the past few days has made drastic moves and I have seen little, if any, effect on my Tangiers. The DP went from 45 degrees before this low pressure trough came down to about 57-58 degrees during the trough period. Huge swing in the scheme of things. No effect, no shock, still rich and flavorful Tangiers. The DP is set to drop back down again the middle of this week with high pressure building back in. We'll see how this continues to develop. My hunch is that, once again, the effect will be minimal.

And I would have to disagree with you kind sir.

I've smoked Pear today and I'm really impressed. Not only it smells like exact pears but it also tastes just like pears. I did have some issues though.

At the beggining of the session I was geting this scratching in the back of my throat although with GREAT (kust GREAT really) flavor. I was using the same amount of coals as I do to smoke other shishas, as Nakhla, AF or Tangiers Lucid - three coals. When those coals went out (25~30 mins) I only lit two and I got much better results. More smoke and no scratchy feeling anymore (this could be because I started drinking coke though).

So, in conclusion, Pear acclimated perfectly here. I live in Portugal btw, the city is Porto (aka Oporto). I just need to improve my Tangiers skills.

Quick question, is White Grape supposed to smell similar to Al Amir white grape? Because I'm getting that but I dunno if it is supposed to. Also, the smell to that flavor isn't anywhere as strong as Pear and Horchata.

I just oppened Horchata and it smells amazing smile.gif

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Sep 14 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please, keep your opinion in another thread, the only thing it achieves here is messing things up. This thread is for the people who realize that something you cannot control (acclimation...) cannot be called a user error.

I cannot believe the attitude some people here on the forum has towards people with acclimation issues negative.gif

Sorry it took me so long been a busy few weeks. Results of the 4/20 acclimation method using Noir Cactus Fruit:

Out of the bag:
Smelled Great, Smoked Great

Acclimated 4 hours in container:

Stored in container for 20 hours:

I don't think acclimation is a real big deal here in Texas. Not sure about else where.

I think the problem with Tang, for me, and probably many others, is it's too cold of a climate. It was cooked and packaged in a warm climate, I'm sure. If it goes to a cold place, and gets opened in a cold place, it gets "shisha shock". Some Tang, right out of the bag, smelt and smoked fine for me. Watermelon, K-Peach, K-Cherry, Sour, Sweet Melon, Orange.. were all fine. Orange was especially strong smelling of orange and had no problems. Blue Gumball had problems, but Blue Gumball ALWAYS has problems. 2 out of three or four bags of it was nasty right when I opened them. It's the MOST finicky one, and I don't think these shishas will acclimate properly in cold places. I don't think it's possible for it to go from a hot-dry or hot-humid place to a cold place and acclimate correctly. It'd have to go to a hot-dry or hot-humid type place.

Perhaps the place where Tang is made should package and store the shisha in a cold place? I dunno..

Dry vs. Humid is also a problem, but not as much as hot vs. cold. If it's cold, even if it's just 60F or below, the stuff just isn't gonna acclimate. Some of you may get lucky, but I've never gotten it to acclimate in cold weather. This is probably why sticking it in the oven and cooking it again sometimes helps it acclimate. It's being re-cooked and then brought out into a cold place, acclimating it immedietly to the cold as it cools.

QUOTE (skinegibbs @ Sep 18 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just ordered up some F-Line that should be here by Tuesday or so, I'll post up with my results. I've never smoked Tangiers ever, so hopefully I'll have a true unbiased opinion.

Good luck, you are swinging for the fence there.

Your first experience with Tangiers shouldn't be F-Line... Packs a huge Punch!

I've never had Tangiers smell perfect enough to smoke until I got my samples. Usually I put them in the plastic containers and when I'm ready let it acclimate. My orange soda, Red Tea and Vanilla never smelled correct they always smelled like Soy Sauce or Burn Tobacco. I assumed acclimated and the temperatures of Calgary threw it off or my packing methods weren't working. The samples I from Eric all smelled perfect and ready to smoke.
- White Grape I smoked right away and it was a little harsh with slight flavor. I assumed my packing method was off but upon smelling it again I don't think it was fully acclimated.
- Passion Fruit I let sit out for 2/3 hours while stirring it once or twice and a good stir when I went to pack the bowl. Harsh for maybe 2 minutes, I adjusted my coals and it smoked wonderfully I can defiantly see why Tangiers has the hype it does.

Now my previous Lucid I stored in plastic bags and I've noticed now they don't smoke very well so I'm going to keep these stored in plastic containers. Oddly enough I've never ever acclimated lucid and its always smoked perfect. Hmm.

I just packed some tangiers in medium bowl it must of been at least 80g+ it was a lot easier to do a foil test. I put 3 CH coals on there. The first few pulls were harsh but it got a lot better. Flavor is there in the beginning. I im in the first 5-10 min of the session. I am buzzed as all hell. I havent smoked Tangiers in over a week I am coming down from the buzz as I am smoking.

Ill keep this updated as im smoking.

QUOTE (Stuie @ Sep 18 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (skinegibbs @ Sep 18 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just ordered up some F-Line that should be here by Tuesday or so, I'll post up with my results. I've never smoked Tangiers ever, so hopefully I'll have a true unbiased opinion.

Good luck, you are swinging for the fence there.

Your first experience with Tangiers shouldn't be F-Line... Packs a huge Punch!

Shouldn't that make a review video great?

"The buzz...well... "*falls out of chair* .. 10 minutes pass, knocked cold. "The buzz is great!"

OK so my session went up and down. I started out with 3 CH coals on the medium. it started out delicious then the flavor went away. I put on a windcover and flavor came back. I put on 2 CH coals for my second round of coals and thats when it sorta went down hill. It started to taste like coal/ash. Flavor was somewhat there and the clouds weren't as great as before.

Might I mention I let the bowl sit for about 45 min before I went back for a second session.

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Sep 18 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK so my session went up and down. I started out with 3 CH coals on the medium. it started out delicious then the flavor went away. I put on a windcover and flavor came back. I put on 2 CH coals for my second round of coals and thats when it sorta went down hill. It started to taste like coal/ash. Flavor was somewhat there and the clouds weren't as great as before.

Might I mention I let the bowl sit for about 45 min before I went back for a second session.

If you let the bowl completely cool down, its harder to start..next time throw one coal on it, leave it for 10 minutes (seems a while like watching water boil when your waiting to smoke, but leave it for 10), then throw the other.

Those CH coals are supposed to burn HOT as hell...similar to Coco Nara's, which I bust in half so I only have 2.5 Coco coals on my medium phunnel.

I'd try just 2 CH with a windcover if you need it..

Good luck

QUOTE (Kapten Kanel @ Sep 15 2009, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Sep 14 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please, keep your opinion in another thread, the only thing it achieves here is messing things up. This thread is for the people who realize that something you cannot control (acclimation...) cannot be called a user error.

I cannot believe the attitude some people here on the forum has towards people with acclimation issues negative.gif

I know there are quite a few people who live in impossible conditions, trust me. I'm not saying that those conditions dont exist. I'm saying the NUMBER of those cases is pushed out of proportion. Basically, I'm illustrating a situation where Tangiers SHOULD NOT smoke well according to popular belief. According to popular belief it should have been thrown into some sort of humidity shock, it shouldnt have smoked well. But it did, WHY it did I dont know. I dont have any attitude towards people with acclimation issues. I want whatever issues they have to be resolved. 10-13 degrees drop on dew point is a big swing. It cant be that "California is just great for Tangiers." There have to be conditions here that throw it off. Some time in the year it should smoke badly. There has GOT to be that scenario. I want to have that scenario so I can see what I can do to get it right again. To say "hey you dont understand and shouldnt be even talking on this thread because you dont have any acclimation issues" is a cop-out. Illustrating a situation like that helps to get what the tolerances are. Smoking Tangiers in a weather trough between high pressure systems, it should still smoke well. Under those conditions it did despite what convention suggests. It might not be acclimation issues we're dealing with here. It could be something totally different causing these problems. I think Eric is hound-dogging it right now trying to find out WHAT exactly it is.

Honestly, I'm a little incredulous about tangiers and humidity shock as well. When I first started smoking I was under the prevailing perception that it needed care to smoke well etc. But after a while I just said fuck it and started not acclimating when I got my bags, not packing with any particular method, and smoking the same bowl in different environments (indoor to outdoor). Hell, I even had a bowl packed at my house which I smoked for about an hour then drove with it up to my hometown two hours north. I left it sitting in the car for two days (in summer weather) and took it outside to smoke with friends with no problems. Furthermore, I've smoked Tangiers in various parts of the country, including western massachusetts (whose weather is a far cry from my typically southern home) without so much as letting it get a glimpse of the humidity that it was about to be smoked in (opened package, packed indoors, smoked outdoors). I'm not trying to sound like some tangiers magician here, rather I'm trying to agree with the notion that perhaps the issues everyones having are not entirely related to weather and humidity... Edited by Hookie The Hookah

I think weather and humidity def play a role. But not entirely. The last time i took a crack at Tangiers, 85% of it didn't acclimate it. This time i followed the 4/20 rule and it acclimated... all of it may i add.

Now i get great clouds, good buzz and no flavor ... possibly thinking even if its stable, high humidity kills flavor (thanks to informing me of this possibility. I have my dehumidifier running right now like a beast and i'm gonna wait a couple more days for the humidity to get around 34-40% and give it another wack, see if i get flavor from it then!

I am sorta concluding though that it isn't my packing, as it smokes very well and big clouds ... just no flavs yo!

Update to come soon.

I think it does play a roll, but I've only tried Tangiers a handful of times but with Erics samples they've smoked wonderful after a few hours of acclimation BUT all the other packages I've bought from various vendors haven't ever smelled as whatever flavor they were supposed to be.

Do you think perhaps age of the tobacco plays a roll? If its from Eric which is one temperature sent to a vendor which is another temperature and depending where & how its stored and sent to me (Calgary Canada) which can be another temperature. Just thinking out loud, maybe when winter rolls around I'll see if I have a harder time.

Just me wondering if this would impact acclimating.

I still think it's something specific for a some of us, i doubt the movement has a role, I mean the bags are completely sealed.

If you shove your nose in the bag before you open them, they always smell incredible (prob b/c they were acclimated in the environment before it was packed. This is also a good way to tell what the flavor SHOULD smell like when its good to go.