Possible Source For Stainless Steel Downstem Material Found!

freeOS

The tubing came in today. They shipped fast w/ no BS. It looks good, pics tonight hopefully.

I'd highly recommend this place.

Props to hobo-hookah for the lead on finding this source.

QUOTE (ImThaBean @ Jun 13 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have me tempted now to make a longer down stem for my colossus.

Just need to figure out the thread so I can buy a die. hmm.gif

There are graphical representations of thread pitch online. You should be able to eyeball it. There are also guages you can get for cheap. You should be able to just eyeball it though.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 13 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could just make your own thread pitch...

What are you talking about?

Thread pitch is a dimensional rating that shows what angle a thread is 'pitched' at. These, like any other dimensional rating come in standard sizes and he'd need to match it to his stem/heart's downstem connector's thread pitch or he would (at best) cross-thread the crap out of his stem port.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the shout out,

The speedy's place is super cheap. We used them in our original HoboHookah prototypes before we went in for production. The issue is that it is scrap metal. Sometimes they come pretty dirty. Stainless is stainless though, so you can polish them to a mirror finish with a hand drill and a polishing kit. A rag and some polish will also work and get them pretty clean with a bit of work. Look up "polishing stainless steel" online, lots of resources.

If you want something pre-polished, it will cost about 3 times as much, but McMaster Carr will sell lengths of stainless in 12, 24, or 36 inches. Its not scrap, and they come shining.

Good luck modding!

QUOTE (ImThaBean @ Jun 13 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have me tempted now to make a longer down stem for my colossus.

Just need to figure out the thread so I can buy a die. hmm.gif

Just take the part to Home Depot/Lowes and try fitting different screw/nuts in until you find one that works for whatever part you are looking to tap/die. Then read that parts specs and pick the appropriate tap/die.

• 7 months later...
Well, I finally ended up buying several feet of pipe to make some downstems and when it came in each piece had the pipe information printed along its length in ugly black letters. Any idea what the best way to get the ink off and the finish to a fair polish? Perhaps sanding with different grits?

[quote name='colto' date='25 February 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1267136136' post='453794']
Well, I finally ended up buying several feet of pipe to make some downstems and when it came in each piece had the pipe information printed along its length in ugly black letters. Any idea what the best way to get the ink off and the finish to a fair polish? Perhaps sanding with different grits?
[/quote]

Wow I can't believe it worked but I remembered alcohol did well at removing permanent markers. I poured some 91% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) on the tubing and all the ink came off with one wipe!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name='colto' date='25 February 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1267136136' post='453794']
[/quote]

Here's a suggestion...

I had the same issue with the 316 tubing that I used on my Hookahs. First I used a coarse scotchbrite abrasive pads to take of the lettering. Follow that with a coarse sandpaper, say 180grit, then to 240 git, then to 320 grit, then 600 git and finally polish to mirror finish using jewlers rouge. You can find all this at McMaster-Carr or if you happen to have a machine shop supply company in your town. Of course when I was doing this I was spinning the pipe in a lathe at about 1800 rpm. But if you have an electric hand drill and the chuck will hold it you can use it like a poor-mans-lathe. Loading the pipe into the chuck, spinning it and polishing your pipe.

Just a thought.

[quote name='Khyperian' date='20 June 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1277051331' post='472227']
[quote name='colto' date='25 February 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1267136136' post='453794']
[/quote]

Here's a suggestion...

I had the same issue with the 316 tubing that I used on my Hookahs. First I used a coarse scotchbrite abrasive pads to take of the lettering. Follow that with a coarse sandpaper, say 180grit, then to 240 git, then to 320 grit, then 600 git and finally polish to mirror finish using jewlers rouge. You can find all this at McMaster-Carr or if you happen to have a machine shop supply company in your town. Of course when I was doing this I was spinning the pipe in a lathe at about 1800 rpm. But if you have an electric hand drill and the chuck will hold it you can use it like a poor-mans-lathe. Loading the pipe into the chuck, spinning it and polishing your pipe.

Just a thought.
[/quote]

Thanks but if you read my post right after that you would have found out that all you have to do is pour some alcohol on it and the ink will lift right off. From there you can polish with normal cleaner and a rag. Super easy!

[quote name='colto' date='24 June 2010 - 08:39 AM' timestamp='1277365163' post='472688']
[quote name='Khyperian' date='20 June 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1277051331' post='472227']
[/quote]

Here's a suggestion...

Just a thought.
[/quote]

Thanks but if you read my post right after that you would have found out that all you have to do is pour some alcohol on it and the ink will lift right off. From there you can polish with normal cleaner and a rag. Super easy!
[/quote]

Sorry about that. Just trying to be helpful.