How many ciggaretes are equal to 1 bowl

Its hard to judge, and believe me, there have been TONS of guesses/estimates on this same question, with no exact same answer each time.Just remember, when smoking ciggs, your smoking tobacco that has a direct flame on it, while hookah tobacco is in essence "vaporized". I'm not trying to say that hookah is a healthy hobby, but there are differences. I think if you can smoke in moderation, you shouldn't have to worry about how hookah compares to ciggs. I can't speak for everyone else here obviously, but I never CRAVE hookah, and thats coming from a person who smokes on avg 2-3bowls per day for the past 3 years, without many breaks inbetween...But there have been a couple times where I went on vacation for about a week and left my hookah behind, and I felt fine. Hell, today I've been busy as sh*t studying for an upcoming midterm, and haven't even had a chance to smoke, but I feel fine.I guess it must vary between different individuals, but I'm just sharing with you how I feel :)

Well Yash is right. You don't have a hookah on you all the time in a backpack or something, ready to smoke. The laziness, for me anyways, is rarely an issue. Sometimes I just don't want to smoke, then there are other times where I need to relax so I light up a hookah.Also, don't forget that the weight of the tobacco is played with since there's all those other products in it, like molasses for example. Also, like Yash said, it's vaporized. You're cooking the tobacco, not burning it (hopefully :P.) Add the small water filtration and voila, you have a small amount of tobacco being consumed by the smoker. That's the way I've seen it, but everyone has their own opinion of it.Jon

I've heard many times from people who are against hookahs saying they are a gateway device, in that they will convert you to becoming a cigg smoker. They claim this because people who only smoke hookahs will develope a dependency on them, and then become to lazy to set it up, and they will just give in and start smoking ciggs for their conveniency.But I have never taken a puff on a cigg in my 21yo life. If I really wanted to smoke, I'll set up the hookah. If I'm too lazy to set it up, I just don't smoke ;)But yeah, if you feel yourself really starting to crave that nicotine, you might want to think about slowing down on the hookah, especially if you are really serious about never smoking ciggs. Once you start, you're hooked for life (for most people).So like I said, keep it in moderation and you should be fine.

[quote name='HookahCaterpillar']ive hear 2-3 packs is 1 bowl. I think its more like 1 pack.[/quote]Yeah for a test, try smoking 2-3packs of ciggs ALL back-to-back and then compare that to how you normally feel after a single bowl. Tell us all which one makes you sicker

[quote name='Yashman19'][quote name='HookahCaterpillar']ive hear 2-3 packs is 1 bowl. I think its more like 1 pack.[/quote]Yeah for a test, try smoking 2-3packs of ciggs ALL back-to-back and then compare that to how you normally feel after a single bowl. Tell us all which one makes you sicker [/quote]i dont think this a fair statment because i also smoke cigars on occasion that hav been proven to be like 1-2 packs of cigs but i feel fine after smoking one.

[quote name='Izzletodasmizzle'][quote name='Yashman19']
[quote name='HookahCaterpillar']ive hear 2-3 packs is 1 bowl. I think its more like 1 pack.[/quote]Yeah
for a test, try smoking 2-3packs of ciggs ALL back-to-back and then
compare that to how you normally feel after a single bowl. Tell us all
which one makes you sicker [/quote]i
dont think this a fair statment because i also smoke cigars on occasion
that hav been proven to be like 1-2 packs of cigs but i feel fine after
smoking one.
[/quote]

Maybe if you inhale the whole thing...

WHAAAAAAAAT!!!you say a pack of cigerretes???How many are there in a pack in your countries?Here there is like 20 cigs in a pack.... and far out how much shisha you stick into your bowl?I would say THE most my bowl can hold would be the equivelant to about 2 ciggeretes and thats pushing it... Just look at ciggys that you roll up and compare the amount or tobacco they squeeze into one cigerette! I would say that the most a bowl would hold is about the same amont of tobacco as 2 cigerettes... Also the tobacco has less tar etc and is vapourised...AND i never smoke by myself so i think the MOST i could possibly take in one session would be the equivelent to one cigerettte!!that my 2 cents!

[quote name='raversparadise']WHAAAAAAAAT!!!you say a pack of cigerretes???How many are there in a pack in your countries?Here there is like 20 cigs in a pack.... and far out how much shisha you stick into your bowl?I would say THE most my bowl can hold would be the equivelant to about 2 ciggeretes and thats pushing it... Just look at ciggys that you roll up and compare the amount or tobacco they squeeze into one cigerette! I would say that the most a bowl would hold is about the same amont of tobacco as 2 cigerettes... Also the tobacco has less tar etc and is vapourised...AND i never smoke by myself so i think the MOST i could possibly take in one session would be the equivelent to one cigerettte!!that my 2 cents![/quote]Although I agree with you that you can't compare a pack of ciggs to a single bowl of tobacco, you really can't compare the amount of tobacco used in a bowl and 2 ciggs... Because one is vaporized while the other is burning, one has a bunch of honey or molasses while the other has all sorts of other chemicals added to it.So what I'm saying is, just because the amount of tobacco in 3 ciggs equals the same amount of tobacco in 1 of your bowls of shisha, they are totally different.

Lets use our logic...Fact1 - Tobacco in cigarettes are dried out and they contain no additives on the other hand molases are extra wet soaked with glicerine, water as well as additives. Now we have one value, a full cigarette contains same amount of nicotine in a bowl of molasses.Fact 2 - Tobacco in bowl is vaporised so its impossible to extract more nicotine from it than a full cigarette.Fact 3 - Cigarettes have small filters but an avarage nargile has at least three feet long marpuç as well as water.Conclusion - A Bowl of nargile can not be even equal of 1 cigarette!An experiment - After you have finished your smoking session check out the remains and try burning them on fire to see how much nicotine and tar left on the remains of a bowl. The stuff you see is the stuff you could've inhaled if you had smoked cigarettes...

Well, in 250g of Tangiers tobacco, there is approimately 1g of nicotine...I believe 5mg is a normal amount of nicotine in a cigarette...which is 200 cigarettes worth or approximately 1 cigarette per gram of tobacco...if you smoke 20 g at a time, thats 20 cigarettes. Note Tangiers has an overall nicotine level of .3%, less than the ".5%" brands. Different ways of coming up with the numbers exist, because losses in the process vary and are unclear as to if they are sinks for nicotine or not. Nicotine vaporizes at a similar point to the other components in the tobacco so it should be fully vaporized. What amount gets caught in the water is unclear, but it does vary,seemingly, with different humidity conditions. 

well i think im with cornellius on this... while i know shisha is not good for you... I am pretty positive it aint as bad as a  cigerrete! And i am not really talking about nicotine here. thats the least of my worries!But as you were saying yashman they are very different...But comparing the amount of tobacco is still an alright idea i think! Sure one is covered in molasses and the othere aint... But its still the tobacco which contains the bad things for you health (I believe dont quote me on it) . So in theory the shisha is getting semi vapourised at least so when it comes down to it that should be even more healthy than the amount found in a cigerette!So yea i think one bown would possibly be no worse for you than a single cigerette maybe two if you packed the bowl really full!

Its like comparing apples and oranges... and it all depends on which factors your trying to compare.  levels of nicotene? tar? actual tobacco? levels of c02?  It would be cool to see a list of all the levels of each of these things in one cigarette, and then the levels in one bowl.  I understand hookah is bad for you, but in my opinion it isn't even comparable to a SINGLE cigarette.

yes, I was a cigarette smoker for 3 years.  And during that time a hookah NEVER fully satisfied one of my cravings.  Of course, this is very subjective but I would be absolutely shocked if I found that the nicotine content of a bowl of shisha was much more than that of a cigarette.  Maybe 1 or 2 cigarettes in a bowl, for nicotine that is. But when you take into account how much time you spend smoking a hookah compared to that of a cigarette, the nicotine consumption, I think, must be negligable...

[quote name='Ghaleon']yes, I was a cigarette smoker for 3 years.  And during that time a hookah NEVER fully satisfied one of my cravings.  Of course, this is very subjective but I would be absolutely shocked if I found that the nicotine content of a bowl of shisha was much more than that of a cigarette.  Maybe 1 or 2 cigarettes in a bowl, for nicotine that is. But when you take into account how much time you spend smoking a hookah compared to that of a cigarette, the nicotine consumption, I think, must be negligable...[/quote] im talking carcinogens and maybe co2 i dunno

[quote name='Hexagon']I read in one journal what 1 bowl = 2 cigarettes!! Also they said what smoking hookah is much healthier than smoking cigarettes.[/quote]

nonetheless it still doesnt help your health at all. I agree with Ghaleon that it doesnt suppress the cravings even after 1 1/2 hours of smokin nargilah. Im not a heavy smoker either, maybe 1-3 cigs a day.

[quote name='IsraelEnigma'][quote name='Ghaleon']yes, I was a cigarette smoker for 3
years.  And during that time a hookah NEVER fully satisfied one of
my cravings.  Of course, this is very subjective but I would be
absolutely shocked if I found that the nicotine content of a bowl of
shisha was much more than that of a cigarette.  Maybe 1 or 2
cigarettes in a bowl, for nicotine that is. But when you
take into account how much time you spend smoking a hookah compared to
that of a cigarette, the nicotine consumption, I think, must be
negligable...[/quote] im talking carcinogens and maybe co2 i dunno[/quote]

Ok people, lets get this straight the harmful gas in smoke (of all
kinds, not just tobacco smoke) is not CO2 (carbon dioxide) Carbon
Dioxide is constantly a part of our atmosphere.  Trees and plants
use CO2 for photosynthesis.  CO2 is not unhealthy (unless thats
all your breathing ,in which case, you are dead because you need 0xygen
(02) )  Carbon MONOXIDE or CO is the harmful gas which cigarette
and tobacco and all other kinds of smoke have.  CO is also found
in car fumes, which is a reason for why leaving your car running in the
garage can kill you.

Also, about 1-1.5 grams of pure tobacco are found in a cigarette, the
average bowl of shisha has how many grams of WET tobacco?  10? 15?
Mollasses-soaked tobacco weighs much more than dry tobacco.  I'll
assume that mollasses accounts for about half the mass of the
shisha.  Thus, there are about 5-7 grams of dry tobacco in a given
hookah bowl.  That is the equivalent of about 5-7 cigarettes, this
is excluding the fact that the way cigarettes are smokes are much more
harmful (much hotter burning of tobacco).