Chinese Phunnel Bowl

I recently purchased one from a local hookah shop and although I have read around the forums that they are not good and do not work well, I've had success with it and have gotten some great long lasting sessions with it.
Now my question is: What are some flaws of the Chinese phunnel that the Tangiers ones do not have? like pros and cons of both if possible.

I have both and the main flaw I have with my chinese, is the way it sits on the stem and the big ass grommet you have to use. Mine doesnt always seal very well.. Other than that, smal OG phunnel is quite a bit smaller than my small chinese..

I heard that the OG holds heat better and things as such but, personally I havnt experienced this..

Yeah I get what you mean, but what I do for the leak is just put a piece of tissues on top of the actual grommet and the phunnel sits on top of it firmly. I don't know if there are any air leaks though. Maybe there's a way to make the chinese seal more efficiently or something.
And the size doesnt make too much of a difference for me cause I hardly smoke alone so its good amount of shisha for two or more people.
I havent heard about the heat distribution thing though, how big of a difference could it actually make? I dont think that itd make that big of a difference as you havent even noticed one.
The chinese one works very well for me, but like you said...only flaw could be the seal on it. I needa figure something out for that, any ideas?

QUOTE (MeNouA @ Jun 1 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are some flaws of the Chinese phunnel that the Tangiers ones do not have? like pros and cons of both if possible.

This is a zero sum game, so the pros of one are the cons of the other:

Chinese Phunnel:
Pros:
  1. Cheaper
  2. Wide availability in local shops
Tangiers Phunnel:
Pros:
  1. Clay holds heat better (easier heat management)
  2. Shape keeps foil tighter (less of a bulge on the stem)
  3. Glaze is easier to clean
  4. Contributes money to the innovator, fostering further innovations.
  5. Fits in a tall windcover without rubbing the coals.
  6. Stays tight on a standard grommet.
That's everything I can think of. I vastly prefer my Tangiers phunnel, and I did before I knew there was a difference between the Tangiers and the Chinese.

QUOTE (Sherwood @ Jun 1 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (MeNouA @ Jun 1 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are some flaws of the Chinese phunnel that the Tangiers ones do not have? like pros and cons of both if possible.

This is a zero sum game, so the pros of one are the cons of the other:

Chinese Phunnel:
Pros:
  1. Cheaper
  2. Wide availability in local shops
Tangiers Phunnel:
Pros:
  1. Clay holds heat better (easier heat management)
  2. Shape keeps foil tighter (less of a bulge on the stem)
  3. Glaze is easier to clean
  4. Contributes money to the innovator, fostering further innovations.
  5. Fits in a tall windcover without rubbing the coals.
  6. Stays tight on a standard grommet.
That's everything I can think of. I vastly prefer my Tangiers phunnel, and I did before I knew there was a difference between the Tangiers and the Chinese.

That helped a lot, thanks. I needa invest into a real Tangiers small phunnel then. I really wanna get the best smoke possible and the tangiers bowl should help alot.

QUOTE (obey @ Jun 1 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i use my small chinese a lot more than my small tangiers, idk why but I get better results out of the chinese

What size is it? If it is a small or mini, I am sure there are plenty of people on the forums here that would be more than happy to take that Tangiers phunnel off you hands, lol. smile.gif

• 11 months later...
[quote name='mushrat' date='13 May 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1273794364' post='468022']
temp bump.
[/quote]

I wouldn't even say the Tang real phunnels have "easier" heat management..you can actually MANAGE the heat. My friends have Chinese, and the consistency is non existant with their cheap construction.

You WILL use 1/4 - 1x more coals and have a crappier burn.

But, use what works for you.

All my friends go "why does yours taste so much better?" I say: Get a good real phunnel, learn to pack, learn to manage heat.

Boom.

Oh, and Tangiers ftw.