Metal Ball Bearing Stuck In The Purge Valve

i got a hookah for a friend of mine a while ago. we smoked it once or twice but he didn't take it then. i told him to come pick it up whenever he got a chance but he never stopped by. i cleaned it after the uses but never used it. it's just been sitting in the closet untouched for the past few months. i decided that since he wasn't going to come get it and has had MONTHS to do so just fuck it, i'll use it, or give it ti my cousin who needs a new pipe. ANYWAY, i got the pipe out to clean and then smoke, but the damn ball bearing won't come out. i've tried wd-40 (a buddy of mine told me that it gets rid of rust), pulling it out with pliars, hacking at it with a machete etc. anyone have any methods that actually work so i can use this thing completely including the purge!

thanks

QUOTE (antouwan @ May 28 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got a hookah for a friend of mine a while ago. we smoked it once or twice but he didn't take it then. i told him to come pick it up whenever he got a chance but he never stopped by. i cleaned it after the uses but never used it. it's just been sitting in the closet untouched for the past few months. i decided that since he wasn't going to come get it and has had MONTHS to do so just fuck it, i'll use it, or give it ti my cousin who needs a new pipe. ANYWAY, i got the pipe out to clean and then smoke, but the damn ball bearing won't come out. i've tried wd-40 (a buddy of mine told me that it gets rid of rust), pulling it out with pliars, hacking at it with a machete etc. anyone have any methods that actually work so i can use this thing completely including the purge!

thanks

Use something to heat the area around the ball. The metal will expand before the ball does. Then take a flat head screw driver and tap t out gently with a hammer. works every time.

QUOTE (mushrat @ May 28 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (antouwan @ May 28 2009, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks

Use something to heat the area around the ball. The metal will expand before the ball does. Then take a flat head screw driver and tap t out gently with a hammer. works every time.

+1 I was rebuilding the engine on my old car with my dad and couldn't get the dampener pulley off. We applied heat to the pulley and it came off. Same concept.

QUOTE (mohinder @ May 28 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heat it up and belt it with something! You got anything you could push up from underneath it? a hole poker stick or something sturdy enough that'll bend up through the purge port?

i was thinking about heating it up...

i was thinking a wire coat hanger?

QUOTE (lowspeedchase @ May 29 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this happens a lot you can use vegetable/olive oil on the bearing to keep it from sticking (Once you un-stuck it ;-) )

i'll just replace that shit with a plastic bb

QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 28 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And...I'm still learning things...thanks Mushy, good tip.

Lol, I think i have heard you say that before; on the same subject no less.

QUOTE (antouwan @ May 29 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea. Airsoft pellets ftw!

QUOTE (EternalSoil @ May 29 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so much. I used to use plastic bb's until I found out that the seam on them was letting it leak. I'm pretty sure there have been a couple major discussions about this before.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ May 29 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so much. I used to use plastic bb's until I found out that the seam on them was letting it leak. I'm pretty sure there have been a couple major discussions about this before.

yeah i mean they do let in SOME air. but it's negligible. equating the tiny amount of air leakage from air pellets to a major leak, dangerous enough to ruin your session is about as ridiculous as vegetarian hamburgers.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ May 29 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if your BBs have seams on them then there the cheap kind.

if you know someone that has a few of the good kind just ask for a few you will see the difference.

THANKS MUSHY

finally got around to this today and worked like a charm. HOWEVER, be being the brilliant man that i am, decided that this would be a gerat idea to do over the rug...fail whale. the burning hot ball bearing burned straight through the rug and successfully embedded itself in the carpet fibers. facePALM. at least the rug is dark and the wound not easily spotted.

delsol, sorry about my earlier post, after reading it a second time that came off rather harsh, which was not the intent. and my bbs don't have seams; on 3 of the 4 pipes i use the bbs on there is NO air leakage, on one of them it's because the purge thing isn't completely round/flat and the air that comes in is, as previously stated, negligable. if you want to pm me your address i'll mail you a few of them (if you're sick of those metal ones jamming your purge up).

QUOTE (mushrat @ May 30 2009, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Toxik916 @ May 29 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good tip Mushrat I did that to my Nou Nou last night and it worked like a charm.

Cool, glad it helped. How'd it go for you delsol?

I wasn't actually one of the guys with a stuck bearing...thanks for the concern though mushy! smile.gif

QUOTE (antouwan @ May 31 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
delsol, sorry about my earlier post, after reading it a second time that came off rather harsh, which was not the intent. and my bbs don't have seams; on 3 of the 4 pipes i use the bbs on there is NO air leakage, on one of them it's because the purge thing isn't completely round/flat and the air that comes in is, as previously stated, negligable. if you want to pm me your address i'll mail you a few of them (if you're sick of those metal ones jamming your purge up).

Lol, no worries. I didn't take it as a harsh statement. But you are right, there is usually going to be A tiny leak somewhere, my point is I figure I might as well try to avoid all leaks possible smile.gif I haven't had the metal ones completely jam yet...but they do get pretty stuck. Plus, when I am trying to purge, sometimes it takes a lot of force to get it to initially purge. AND, like I have said, I am actually using the little ball from my tongue ring, which has a small hole for the stud to screw into, so I have to be careful the hole doesn't touch the side causing a leak.

That is very kind of you to offer. Thanks! I will gladly MF you for them. I don't really need the right away though. Until I find a place to smoke (parent do not allow it) I am not able to smoke for the summer. Then again, I am sure both of us will probably forget by the time august comes around, lol. I tried one night when my mom was sleeping and she smelled the CH QL when I was lighting them. She didn't complain or notice as I had the oven on at the same time and she chalked it off to the oven, but I don't want to take the chance again.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (lowspeedchase @ May 29 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this happens a lot you can use vegetable/olive oil on the bearing to keep it from sticking (Once you un-stuck it ;-) )

Does this work?

The bearing on my KM Single Pear sits so damn deep, its gets lodged ALL the DAMN time. I can usually get it loose, but its pain having to do it every third or fourth time I want to purge.

QUOTE (evilded777 @ Jun 9 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does this work?

The bearing on my KM Single Pear sits so damn deep, its gets lodged ALL the DAMN time. I can usually get it loose, but its pain having to do it every third or fourth time I want to purge.

Works for me, I actually tried it after reading this thread. My purge valve ball was kind of gunky and skanky right from the beginning, so I rubbed it down a tiny bit with wet & dry to get the crap off it then went over the purge valve a little bit. I just clean it out and put a drop of vegetable oil on it every few washes. It does occasionally get stuck still when the oil's dried out but I can actually just bang the hookah and it'll free up.

QUOTE (evilded777 @ Jun 9 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does this work?

Yes it works. wink.gif