Tangiers, What Makes It So Good

It would be nice if Noir wasn't so Tempermental. Maybe we will see this in the future?!

When I acclimate and I start mixing the shisha around I make sure the shisha picks up all the juices that is sitting on the tin foil, so using a skewer really wont do a good job.. You're going to have to get your hands dirty a couple times to do this.

I literally took about 50g of shisha at a time and swooped and dunked it into the juices that were sitting around the tin foil so the shisha could pick up and absorb it and then I moved on to my next batch on the tin foil sheet.. I did this about 5 times in a 24 hour period...

This makes the acclimation process, I believe more successful. Edited by newjacksm

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my packing and heat management are ok. It's just the smell of the baccy. I have a container of pineapple and a container of tropical revenge acclimating at my lounge at the moment, and when I smelled them last night, all I could smell was the strong smell of tobacco. It's like it just never acclimated and now the flavor is gone. Now, I don't know the science of shisha and if flavor can just disappear entirely, but the way I see it is I just threw twenty-some-odd dollars down the drain on shisha I cannot smoke. This cannot be the way it was designed.

By the way, I remember some posts a while back by some guys in FL that couldn't get their Tangiers to acclimate either. I think there are just some places where Tangiers simply does not work. It sounds silly, but thats really the way it seems.

Eric, do you ever just have bad batches? Could that be the problem? Would you ever consider doing an exchange?

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jun 3 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ih303 @ Jun 2 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also can't buy into the hype, as hard as I've tried.

Perhaps it's my climate, but I've only had one flavor of og tangiers acclimate correctly and it took six weeks to do so. I've tried three other flavors and they're still acclimating in my kitchen (going on week 4). I tried acclimating them several months ago and they never acclimated so I closed them up and now I'm trying again. They still smell awful. In fact, they stink so bad, I get sick sometimes just walking into my kitchen.

Lucid, on the other hand, is wonderful. I run a hookah lounge and I recommend it to all my customers interested in branching out.

It's embarassing that I cannot get this stuff to work for me. I consider myself far from a hookah/shisha amateur.

Then I think your problem might be too much heat or too little tobacco. It should take 24 hours for the tobacco to acclimate and then from there it's all packing technique and heat management. If you're using coconut coals, stop doing that. They all burn hot. Here, I cant use them without cutting them up. The case might be the same for you. Pick up some Golden Canaries or some of the easy lites or Exotica coals. I like Exoticas personally.

Tang fans, you all need to understand that some of us really do have acclimating issues and that it isn't very hard to determine you are having acclimation problems. Scenario: You buy a shit ton of tang tobacco, you open them to acclimate in shallow Tupperware. You stir every couple hours throughout the day. You smell the tobacco and you almost puke, you smell it again and it smells the same, oh wait now it smells like plastic, ah now bbq, oh ok now it smells like pure tobacco. Us "non acclimation people" wait weeks, i waited 8 weeks for blueberry to no avail, when i smoked it, i got huge ass clouds, that tasted like absolutely nothing. No harshness or anything, great smoke, great buzz, tasted like nothing. So when some of us say that the acclimation isn't working out, try to believe it every now and then. Because there is such a thing. And unfortunately I am a victim of it.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 4 2009, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want shorter longevity and duller flavor, then sure. I can do it.

NO! Anyways I started getting use to it, I feel like the shisha has started becoming like a girlfriend to me because I have to care for it and if I dont it will bitch smack me in harshness

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jun 4 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tang fans, you all need to understand that some of us really do have acclimating issues and that it isn't very hard to determine you are having acclimation problems. Scenario: You buy a shit ton of tang tobacco, you open them to acclimate in shallow Tupperware. You stir every couple hours throughout the day. You smell the tobacco and you almost puke, you smell it again and it smells the same, oh wait now it smells like plastic, ah now bbq, oh ok now it smells like pure tobacco. Us "non acclimation people" wait weeks, i waited 8 weeks for blueberry to no avail, when i smoked it, i got huge ass clouds, that tasted like absolutely nothing. No harshness or anything, great smoke, great buzz, tasted like nothing. So when some of us say that the acclimation isn't working out, try to believe it every now and then. Because there is such a thing. And unfortunately I am a victim of it.

Word, im glad im not alone against the "acclimation-denials"

I stopped using plastic tupperware and started using glass bowls. not only is it juicer but it doesn't get that plastic taste. One time I smoked tangiers and it had the taste of pure plastic from the tupperware I was using.

I seriously think some one should give the tin foil acclimation a process a shot and dont use a fork/skewer to mix it up, use your hands and make sure you get alll the juices that are on the on the tin foil underneath the shisha. It works well at least it has for me. Edited by newjacksm

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Jun 4 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stopped using plastic tupperware and started using glass bowls. not only is it juicer but it doesn't get that plastic taste. One time I smoked tangiers and it had the taste of pure plastic from the tupperware I was using.

I seriously think some one should give the tin foil acclimation a process a shot and dont use a fork/skewer to mix it up, use your hands and make sure you get alll the juices that are on the on the tin foil underneath the shisha. It works well at least it has for me.

you werren't using polypropylene.

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Jun 4 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seriously think some one should give the tin foil acclimation a process a shot and dont use a fork/skewer to mix it up, use your hands and make sure you get alll the juices that are on the on the tin foil underneath the shisha. It works well at least it has for me.

Ive tried the tin foil method, i dont like that you loose some of the juice, at least after you have done it like 6 times to the same 250g wink.gif

QUOTE (Kapten Kanel @ Jun 4 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ive tried the tin foil method, i dont like that you loose some of the juice, at least after you have done it like 6 times to the same 250g wink.gif

you dont need to do it 6 times, just do it once for 24 hours and use your hands to mix it up. Make sure when you mix it up that the shisha picks up most of the juices that are on the tinfoil under the shisha. When you have to re-acclimate just leave it in the tub that you put it in already.

Barnaby: The lounge is climate controlled and is also in an old, brick/morter building. I brought my Tangy there thinking the less drastic temperature/humidity swings might help it acclimate. My house is also climate controlled, but it is a significantly smaller place and completely lacks insulation.

You know, Tangiers seems to be excessively complicated. It's like you need a damn climate-controlled humidor just to get the stuff to get to the point where you can smoke it. Perhaps if I lived in the enchanted land of California I would learn to love this stuff like the rest of the Tangy fan club. But perhaps that's what makes it such a magical product - it only works for some people some of the time. So when it does happen to work for you, you feel like you've been touched by the hand of God.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jun 4 2009, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Btw, thanks for this, Matt. It's sad that we cannot all enjoy Tangiers, but that does seem to be the cold, harsh reality of the situation.

QUOTE (ih303 @ Jun 4 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Barnaby: The lounge is climate controlled and is also in an old, brick/morter building. I brought my Tangy there thinking the less drastic temperature/humidity swings might help it acclimate. My house is also climate controlled, but it is a significantly smaller place and completely lacks insulation.

You know, Tangiers seems to be excessively complicated. It's like you need a damn climate-controlled humidor just to get the stuff to get to the point where you can smoke it. Perhaps if I lived in the enchanted land of California I would learn to love this stuff like the rest of the Tangy fan club. But perhaps that's what makes it such a magical product - it only works for some people some of the time. So when it does happen to work for you, you feel like you've been touched by the hand of God.

Awww dude, do you really feel it's that complicated? sad.gif

I'm in Boston, humidity soars in the summer and it gets uber dry in the winter, but I've never had the problems associated with acclimatization that others write here. Hell, I sometimes use the shisha right after I cut open a pack, it smokes fine for that matter. Maybe such emphasis is misplaced and should be put on the packing/smoking procedure? (I'm not insinuating anything, honestly just speculating!)

Quik question for you tangiers fans.
I got some tangiers coming and I live at 8,400 feet above sea level in a high desert mountain forest type climate what kind of aclimation time should be requied for proper smoke?very dry here.thanks

I just read so many mixed reviews about tangiers

QUOTE (twoapplesplease @ Jun 4 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quik question for you tangiers fans.
I got some tangiers coming and I live at 8,400 feet above sea level in a high desert mountain forest type climate what kind of aclimation time should be requied for proper smoke?very dry here.thanks

I just read so many mixed reviews about tangiers

When it smells fine you'll know, you wont have to stick your face in it.. When you walk in the room and it smells like what you ordered/ not like bbq sauce / burnt it'll be fine.. It usually is fine to go after 5 hours or so but I let it sit for about 24 hours.

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Jun 4 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Kapten Kanel @ Jun 4 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you dont need to do it 6 times, just do it once for 24 hours and use your hands to mix it up. Make sure when you mix it up that the shisha picks up most of the juices that are on the tinfoil under the shisha. When you have to re-acclimate just leave it in the tub that you put it in already.

Hehe...hehehe...heh... *mind blown* wacko1.gif
Have you even read this thread?
Please, just check out my other recent posts...

And the acclimation war goes on...

QUOTE (Sherv @ Jun 4 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in Boston, humidity soars in the summer and it gets uber dry in the winter, but I've never had the problems associated with acclimatization that others write here. Hell, I sometimes use the shisha right after I cut open a pack, it smokes fine for that matter. Maybe such emphasis is misplaced and should be put on the packing/smoking procedure? (I'm not insinuating anything, honestly just speculating!)

I don't know all the factors involved in acclimation. I figure temperature and humidity play some part. But the truth is, I have no idea why my og will not acclimate. Could be the batch, could be environmental factors, could be any number of things. All I know is if you load baccy that smells like ass into a bowl, no matter how you pack and heat it, it will end up tasting like ass.

I'm happy for you and everyone else who scoffs at our acclimation frustration. Truly, I envy you.

QUOTE (ih303 @ Jun 4 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know all the factors involved in acclimation. I figure temperature and humidity play some part. But the truth is, I have no idea why my og will not acclimate. Could be the batch, could be environmental factors, could be any number of things. All I know is if you load baccy that smells like ass into a bowl, no matter how you pack and heat it, it will end up tasting like ass.

I'm happy for you and everyone else who scoffs at our acclimation frustration. Truly, I envy you.

Again, Word

QUOTE (ih303 @ Jun 4 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sherv @ Jun 4 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't. ... I just smoke nakhla and enjoy :-)

I pack bowls of nakhla with my eyes blind folded and hands tied behind my back then i take 2 hand fulls of coals heat em all up and toss them on the bowl like a pyramid ... and smoke ... :-).

QUOTE (Kapten Kanel @ Jun 4 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Jun 4 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Word, im glad im not alone against the "acclimation-denials"

+10

i couldn`t have said it better myself mattarios.

Perhaps it's my climate, but I've only had one flavor of og tangiers acclimate correctly and it took six weeks to do so. I've tried three other flavors and they're still acclimating in my kitchen (going on week 4). I tried acclimating them several months ago and they never acclimated so I closed them up and now I'm trying again. They still smell awful. In fact, they stink so bad, I get sick sometimes just walking into my kitchen.

Lucid, on the other hand, is wonderful. I run a hookah lounge and I recommend it to all my customers interested in branching out.

It's embarassing that I cannot get this stuff to work for me. I consider myself far from a hookah/shisha amateur.

Then I think your problem might be too much heat or too little tobacco. It should take 24 hours for the tobacco to acclimate and then from there it's all packing technique and heat management. If you're using coconut coals, stop doing that. They all burn hot. Here, I cant use them without cutting them up. The case might be the same for you. Pick up some Golden Canaries or some of the easy lites or Exotica coals. I like Exoticas personally.

I know you have had issues with tangiers and I'm not saying you didnt do everything in your power to get it to acclimate and smoke right. My apologies for that insinuation.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jun 4 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know you have had issues with tangiers and I'm not saying you didnt do everything in your power to get it to acclimate and smoke right. My apologies for that insinuation.

not a prob man, apology accepted.

for me though, i enjoy the "foreign" taste nakhla brings to the table. don't get me wrong if tang would work out for me, i for sure would smoke some of the flavors, mainly k-peach. But there is that something "that foreign flavor" that not many companies can replicate that i love about my nak :-)

in the end, smoke what you like, every brand has something to offer, so find what you like and puff away :-) .