Tangiers, What Makes It So Good

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shisha fan @ May 26 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ May 27 2009, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why does my nakhla leave a trail of brown goop?
with the exception of jessaminne, that shit is blood red and just as wet.

why are you asking that in a tangiers thread?

you'd have to read the 1st page, and the second.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 28 2009, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I center my charcoal and never worry about moving it around. I get 12-18 hours on a large bowl.

On a Large you put 1 coal dead center?

*dreams of the official Eric 'How I smoke a Large for 12 hours' Video*

Yeah you guys are right, I got 4 hours out of my bowl last night. It actually outlasted me. I couldnt puff any longer on tropical punch.............I crashed after four hours of the same bowl.

I guess I have been wasting lots of tobacco in the last 6 months witht the consatnt changing of the bowl after 90 min of smoking. Oh well now I know.

QUOTE (Stuie @ May 28 2009, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I center my charcoal and never worry about moving it around. I get 12-18 hours on a large bowl.

If I had some spare change I'd just fly out and interview him ala videoLog biggrin.gif

I use four Canary Japanese coals...dead center. Holes, large from oyster fork (I just ordered a whole bunch of new oyster forks...trying to find exactly the right one!). # of holes 140-160. No windcover. Clouds thick. Silky.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 29 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use four Canary Japanese coals...dead center. Holes, large from oyster fork (I just ordered a whole bunch of new oyster forks...trying to find exactly the right one!). # of holes 140-160. No windcover. Clouds thick. Silky.

if the coals are over the phunnel, wouldn't the smoke be hot as you draw? or at least warm?

Why do I love Tangiers? Personally, I love the work he and his employees (Matt and the others [blanking on names]) put into it. It's absolutely worth the price in smoke longevity and flavor. It takes a little bit to get it down, but once you do, you wont go back to any of the "premium" brands. After seeing how it's made, how much work actually goes into it, I'm a lifelong customer. At least, as long as I keep smoking.

Flavors I suggest for starters? Brambleberry, Blue Gumball, and Melon Blend. All three acclimate very well and taste fantastic.

When I was at his lounge we smoked a bowl of tropical revenge that went for over 5 hours with full flavor, could have got another 5 or 6 at least. he doesnt ash his coals either for some reason.

QUOTE (inino @ May 28 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was at his lounge we smoked a bowl of tropical revenge that went for over 5 hours with full flavor, could have got another 5 or 6 at least. he doesnt ash his coals either for some reason.

No real need to ash with the Golden Canary coals, you just start your new ones on the old ones. The old ones heat the new ones.

I don't mean to derail the topic, but while we're talking about long-lasting single bowl sessions with multiple coals, hasn't anyone else experienced harshness when adding/switching coals? I inevitably get a very harsh and nasty taste whenever I add more coals, as I clear a bit of space and suspect that the ashes fall into the bowl. This happens with both quicklites and the coconut charcoals I've used in the past. Perhaps, as others have written above, I should pack my shisha more tightly? Does this happen to anyone else?

QUOTE (Sherv @ Jun 2 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mean to derail the topic, but while we're talking about long-lasting single bowl sessions with multiple coals, hasn't anyone else experienced harshness when adding/switching coals? I inevitably get a very harsh and nasty taste whenever I add more coals, as I clear a bit of space and suspect that the ashes fall into the bowl. This happens with both quicklites and the coconut charcoals I've used in the past. Perhaps, as others have written above, I should pack my shisha more tightly? Does this happen to anyone else?

Sadly that happens to me

I also can't buy into the hype, as hard as I've tried.

Perhaps it's my climate, but I've only had one flavor of og tangiers acclimate correctly and it took six weeks to do so. I've tried three other flavors and they're still acclimating in my kitchen (going on week 4). I tried acclimating them several months ago and they never acclimated so I closed them up and now I'm trying again. They still smell awful. In fact, they stink so bad, I get sick sometimes just walking into my kitchen.

Lucid, on the other hand, is wonderful. I run a hookah lounge and I recommend it to all my customers interested in branching out.

It's embarassing that I cannot get this stuff to work for me. I consider myself far from a hookah/shisha amateur.

QUOTE (ih303 @ Jun 2 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps it's my climate, but I've only had one flavor of og tangiers acclimate correctly and it took six weeks to do so. I've tried three other flavors and they're still acclimating in my kitchen (going on week 4). I tried acclimating them several months ago and they never acclimated so I closed them up and now I'm trying again. They still smell awful. In fact, they stink so bad, I get sick sometimes just walking into my kitchen.

Lucid, on the other hand, is wonderful. I run a hookah lounge and I recommend it to all my customers interested in branching out.

It's embarassing that I cannot get this stuff to work for me. I consider myself far from a hookah/shisha amateur.

Then I think your problem might be too much heat or too little tobacco. It should take 24 hours for the tobacco to acclimate and then from there it's all packing technique and heat management. If you're using coconut coals, stop doing that. They all burn hot. Here, I cant use them without cutting them up. The case might be the same for you. Pick up some Golden Canaries or some of the easy lites or Exotica coals. I like Exoticas personally.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jun 4 2009, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ih303 @ Jun 2 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then I think your problem might be too much heat or too little tobacco. It should take 24 hours for the tobacco to acclimate and then from there it's all packing technique and heat management. If you're using coconut coals, stop doing that. They all burn hot. Here, I cant use them without cutting them up. The case might be the same for you. Pick up some Golden Canaries or some of the easy lites or Exotica coals. I like Exoticas personally.

If the smell of the tobacco makes him sick, do you really think that packing technique and heat management is going to do much?
24 hours? Haha the time it takes for the tobacco to acclimate differs alot, its just all about being lucky with the humidity/weather and so on, i have 4x250g OG tangiers that wont acclimate even though i have let it aired for weeks. happy.gif

Wow, I must be a noob.

I ordered a bunch of Tangier shishas and I gotta say I am sorry all you Tangier fans. I did not like it.

It is all a personal preference anyways. Maybe oneday someone that knows how to pack Tangier shisha would invite me to try it and I would become an addict but for now I will stick to my good ol' AF.