Tangiers, What Makes It So Good

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ May 14 2009, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 14 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I do something, I don't half-ass it.

You're assuming, Mushrat, they can make something like Tangiers without charging $80/Kg for it like the rest of the molasses tobacco market is.

nakhla is $20-$25 a kilo, who else makes a molasses tobacco? don't get me wrong here, i'm not trying to "call you out or anything, believe me, i've ordered your product a few times and i can certainly see a difference in the quality of the tobacco and the ammount of molasses, but who's charging $80?
QUOTE (beachkidcb @ May 14 2009, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like heineken, its the skunkiest crap ever and ppl think its high class cuz its imported..

i like heineken, its good. heineken and guinness are my staples, and i have 347 different bottlecaps.
satan red being my all time favorite.

Nakhla isn't molasses based, its corn syrup/glucose syrup. Different process.

Bahrani, Al Majlis are two molasses based tobaccos. They are so expenisve, they don;t import them to the United States anymore. Al Majlis was wholesaling for $120/Kg a couple of years back, with no takers.

Back when Fumari was still buying off the shelf stuff for their lounge, they had me try Al Majlis. I liked it, I thought it was good. Then they found out the price and realized nobody would pay $50 per bowl at a lounge and scrapped the idea.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ May 13 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always liked Tangiers but it was generally just part of my staples I kept around with other brands and I smoked it no more and no less. But lately, I don't know what the hell he's doing, but nothing else seems as good anymore. I find myself reaching for the Tangiers ahead of any other brand and when I do smoke another brand, it's just not as satisfying so there I go packing another bowl this time of Tangiers. Sure there's a learning curve for most people, but when you get it right, amazing is an understatement.

'Rani

/agreed

I'll be deciding what to smoke and I always tend to gravitate towards Tangiers lol my other brands usually come out when I have guests over that can't really handle the buzz

QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 16 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ May 14 2009, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 14 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I do something, I don't half-ass it.

You're assuming, Mushrat, they can make something like Tangiers without charging $80/Kg for it like the rest of the molasses tobacco market is.

nakhla is $20-$25 a kilo, who else makes a molasses tobacco? don't get me wrong here, i'm not trying to "call you out or anything, believe me, i've ordered your product a few times and i can certainly see a difference in the quality of the tobacco and the ammount of molasses, but who's charging $80?
QUOTE (beachkidcb @ May 14 2009, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like heineken, its the skunkiest crap ever and ppl think its high class cuz its imported..

i like heineken, its good. heineken and guinness are my staples, and i have 347 different bottlecaps.
satan red being my all time favorite.

Nakhla isn't molasses based, its corn syrup/glucose syrup. Different process.

Bahrani, Al Majlis are two molasses based tobaccos. They are so expenisve, they don;t import them to the United States anymore. Al Majlis was wholesaling for $120/Kg a couple of years back, with no takers.

Back when Fumari was still buying off the shelf stuff for their lounge, they had me try Al Majlis. I liked it, I thought it was good. Then they found out the price and realized nobody would pay $50 per bowl at a lounge and scrapped the idea.

So seeing the fact that it says Ingredients ... xxx xxx xxx Molasses xxx bla bla bla ... is that like a translation error or something?

Nice avatar, Sheesha1! Solid.

Mattarios: I was told by somebody that Corn Syrup and Glycerine both translate into Arabic as "White Molasses", when they translate it back, they get molasses. This would also explain why the leap from black Molasses to corn syrup; in the Arab mind, they're related.

J.D.: Come on. If I was making a half-assed tobacco, I would have been bankrupt years ago. You can't get this sort of loyalty from pushing second quality products. smile.gif

QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 18 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
J.D.: Come on. If I was making a half-assed tobacco, I would have been bankrupt years ago. You can't get this sort of loyalty from pushing second quality products. smile.gif

ahem: starbuzz....lol, j/k!! kinda tongue.gif

QUOTE (arcane @ May 14 2009, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the flavor is great and the clouds are ridiculous.

i'd rather support Eric's business than any other, just because he stands behind his product 100% and he's very proud of it. not to mention, I'm a San Diego local and I take pride in purchasing stuff made in my hometown. smile.gif

AGREED !!!!!

I just dig the Snothy way. wub.gif

I truly love Tangiers for many of the reasons already listed.

I don't get how people get such amazingly long smokes out of various-sized bowls, though...in a medium regular bowl after the coconut coals burn out, ~45-60 min, a good 2/3s of the shisha is burnt crisp. Maybe heat management is my problem...I haven't used my phunnel + glass screen in a while, either.

[quote name='Sonthert' date='May 18 2009, 04:37 AM' post='370983']
Nice avatar, Sheesha1! Solid.

Thank you. I am hooked to Tangiers only!!!!!!
That is until I get my hands on the 6 Kilos my frind is bringing back from Saudi next week.
But once that is gone, Tangiers again. wink.gif

as much as id love to try tangiers ( probably will cave soon and try it out) i have to say, the fact that im *forced* to acclimate the shisha before hand is a HUUUGE turn off and makes it impossible to be my every day smoke. i just dont have hours on end to sit it out before i smoke. when i smoke its usually on a whim and is my evening wind down i just cant start that wind down while im enjoying my evening lol.

but ill probably cave, order a bag and try it out one day when i have entirely too much time on my hands.

but i cant deny the quality your fanboys rave about so im going to trust all of you and asssume its good stuff.

QUOTE (beachkidcb @ May 14 2009, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NOT surprising at all. Ive been a bartender forever and themost popular vodkas are shit normally. Its all marketing. Like heineken, its the skunkiest crap ever and ppl think its high class cuz its imported..

Thank you! Vodka does not have to be expensive to taste good happy.gif. Best vodka for the money can be had for $15 a bottle- and no, its not smirnoff happy.gif.

QUOTE (fezmeister @ May 26 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as much as id love to try tangiers ( probably will cave soon and try it out) i have to say, the fact that im *forced* to acclimate the shisha before hand is a HUUUGE turn off and makes it impossible to be my every day smoke. i just dont have hours on end to sit it out before i smoke. when i smoke its usually on a whim and is my evening wind down i just cant start that wind down while im enjoying my evening lol.

I haven't given Tangiers a try yet but my understanding is you can acclimate it all when you receive it, and then smoke it (maybe let it acclimate shortly) whenever you want. Also the Lucid line isn't supposed to need acclimating- though some people still acclimate it for a short while if I recall correctly.

QUOTE (fezmeister @ May 27 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but ill probably cave, order a bag and try it out one day when i have entirely too much time on my hands.

but i cant deny the quality your fanboys rave about so im going to trust all of you and asssume its good stuff.

buy lucid if you don't want to hassle with OG...lucid doesn't usually require acclimation for me...i think BGB did take about 10 minutes though...not really sure. i opened the bag, it had a tobacco-y smell. it cleared out by the time i set up my hookah and was ready to pack the bowl.

QUOTE (fezmeister @ May 26 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't find acclimation that much of a problem. I just open the bag, dump it into the plasticware I'm going to keep it in and give it a stir every now and then along with a sniff to see how the flavor is coming along. The moment the smell hits what the flavor is, I close up the plasticware and I'm good to go. If I want to smoke a bowl, I open up the plasticware, give it a good stir, and let it stand while I fill the vase, then pack it right up. It's always perfect with that little effort.

'Rani

QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ May 26 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (fezmeister @ May 26 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't find acclimation that much of a problem. I just open the bag, dump it into the plasticware I'm going to keep it in and give it a stir every now and then along with a sniff to see how the flavor is coming along. The moment the smell hits what the flavor is, I close up the plasticware and I'm good to go. If I want to smoke a bowl, I open up the plasticware, give it a good stir, and let it stand while I fill the vase, then pack it right up. It's always perfect with that little effort.

'Rani

if that method truly works i may toss out the cash for a nice 250 of some tasty tangiers

Lemme throw in some coo words:

Longevity: only bowl with a phunnel I can get to go 6 hours (and I've heard of longer from the forum members, 6 is just my personal record, then I just got tired biggrin.gif)

Voluptuous smoke: thick, "resting" smoke, it'll sit and swirl much longer with less dissipation then other brands.

Dynamic Flavor: a few threads mention that many of the flavors are very "true" to the type, like Horchata, has a nice Spice too it, and is not like a crap watered down horchata drink.

Once you get it down, you only wanna smoke Tangiers biggrin.gif

QUOTE (fezmeister @ May 27 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As other people have stated, you can pretty much acclimate it once and you should be good to go.

but from the way you talk, it sounds like you might be an outside only smoker. if that's the case and since you smoke on a whim i assume you also always disassemble your hookah afterward.

If both cases are true, this might loosen you up a bit. When you first get it, put it in its place to acclimate, some kind of tupperware or gladware or something. Let it do it's initial acclimation, once it's good to go, close it up. When you're ready to smoke that day or evening or something, pack the bowl FIRST, then set it where you smoke and go get the rest of the hookah ready.

The initial acclimation will get it used to the general humidity, setting the bowl out for a bit beforehand (the longer the better) will get it used to the actual humidity at that time.

Now, what makes it so good?

The reasons I like it:

The flavors are bold. It doesnt just taste like what it's supposed to, it almost becomes it. I prefer many of his bolder flavors to begin with anyways; K-peach, Horchata, and things like that. Some of the fruitier flavors I have tried are even very bold. True to the actual fruit, not the candy.

The flavors are lasting, they last from start to finish. They are consistent. I order K-peach all the time, and horchata occasionally. They have always been the same. With SB, I had white peach, then ordered more, completely different. Not something very appealing when it's $20.

The smoke is always great. Thick and strong.

It seems that many people make a huge deal about how "Hard" it is to smoke Tangiers.
You have to acclimate it just right, you have to pack it just right, you have to poke this many holes in this pattern that are this size, you have to use these exact coals in this arangement and you have to move them this far every this many minutes.

I have never had any acclimation problems, ever. Open the damn thing up and leave it out where you smoke. When it smells right, smoke it.

I have found that the only real thing you need to know about packing it is that it needs to have as few air pockets in it as possible. I used to think you HAD to put a lot in there, not true. You just have to make sure you squish it down.

Holes are different for everyone and seem to depend on the type of coal being used, probably the different burning temperatures of the coals. People tend to use patterns for uniformity, it has no real effect, just poke the damn holes. The size usually does matter for Tangiers, but can vary. You just dont want pin/thumbtack holes really.

One thing people dont realize on tangiers is it's funky with coals. It likes a lot of low heat (i think that's it...) So basically, if you throw 4 coconaras (burn much hotter than others) on a small phunnel, it's gonna burn the shit out of it.

Its all personal prefrence. Most people really like Tangiers once they relax, and take the plunge with full confidence and succede.

Can someone explain these six hour bowls?
I can get 1:45 or maybe 2 hours, but 4-6 what are you guys doing?

When I go to pack another bowl, the top layer is burned. What do you do? keep adding coal for 4 hours?

I don't get it.

I have taken the bowl after a 2 hour session, and scraped off the top layer of burnt tobacco, and added a fresh layer..........but with a small phunnell? what are you guys doing?

Thanks.