Activated Carbon Filter Part 2

K1024

so i did some research (no links, all nht stuff...their so crafty!) and came up with some design improvements.

first off, i decided that it would be better for the activated carbon to be not under water, instead having the smoke pass by it in such a way that it had to go by it more.

so, since i have a mya, and they have a common chamber...i put the carbon in there!

instructions:

tape seal off the chamber, and put the downstem in:

then fill with carbon. use some of the filter media to keep the carbon in there...tape it up so that air can still flow, but enough tape that nothings coming out..

ill post some smoking pics later, i forgot to take them yesterday.

questions, comments, concerns?

QUOTE (Long Horn Hookah @ May 8 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice design. What is the advantage of keeping the carbon dry?

it allows more surface area for the carbon, and this method for sure forces it through the carbon

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ May 8 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and this does what?

the carbon absorbs a lot of carcinogens...still haven't done enough research, but i know this helps.

quick search brought this:

http://www.surroundair.com/carbon-air-filter.htm

theres a couple of patents involving this...but im to tired to sift through them right now.

essentially the carbon is very porous and helps trap some of the bigger molecules...I couldnt tell a difference in flavor, but i didnt empirically test it. more to come when i smoke tonight

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard that when filtering other things, such as alcohol for distillation, that the carbon is much much more effective if you prewet it first. I don't know if it's the same since this is smoke and not a liquid, but it might be something to look into.