What's Going Wrong--leak?

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ May 7 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
check where the downstem meets heart of the pipe, a crack or loose spot would cause you to get plenty of smoke and not much bubbling, thats all i got.

QUOTE (Sherwood @ May 7 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, that's a thought. Like when you're drinking through a bendy straw with a hole in one of the bends. Harder draw, more aeration, generally unsatisfactory. You could test for that by taking the entire assembled stem out of the vase, plugging up one end and trying to draw out of the other. If you get any air, there's a leak, break, or bad weld somewhere along your stem.

That is indeed a thought.
if I plugged up one end, wouldn't I get air anyway since the stem side has all sorts of additional holes for air to pass through?

By the way, turns out the whistling is my Razan! my MYA hose doesn't make that noise. Oh well. By the way, when I blow into the pipe, in addition to air coming out of the valve, as it should, it makes this ridiculous gurgling noise from the assembly, as if there's water trapped inside.

WELL! Problem entirely solved...sorta

My downstem had a massive crack in it running parallel to its length! I have no idea how that happened! Anyway I wrapped duct tape around it and now everything is back to normal. How waterproof is duct tape? Also, can someone with a MYA hookah measure their downstem in terms of the diameter of the screw threads? Mine is not a MYA but they're the only guys I know who make screw-in parts, so I want to see if I can get a replacement.

QUOTE (Hassouni @ May 7 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if I plugged up one end, wouldn't I get air anyway since the stem side has all sorts of additional holes for air to pass through?

It shouldn't, no. If you're plugging up the end that the bowl fits over, and sucking on the end that is typically submerged under water when you're smoking it, there should be no leaks. That's designed to be a sealed pipe. Any leaks there could explain your problem.

Glad you solved the whistling, though.

QUOTE (Hassouni @ May 7 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My downstem had a massive crack in it running parallel to its length!

Ah, I posted too slow. That would definitely do it. Duct tape is sorta waterproof, but you should get some plumbing thread tape from Home Depot or the like for a more permanent solution.

Or, you know, buy a new pipe smile.gif

Hooray!

Thanks for your help. Def not buying a new argila, I got mine in Beirut and I've never seen one like it--lotsa sentimental attachment! Edited by Hassouni

QUOTE (Hassouni @ May 7 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WELL! Problem entirely solved...sorta

My downstem had a massive crack in it running parallel to its length! I have no idea how that happened! Anyway I wrapped duct tape around it and now everything is back to normal. How waterproof is duct tape? Also, can someone with a MYA hookah measure their downstem in terms of the diameter of the screw threads? Mine is not a MYA but they're the only guys I know who make screw-in parts, so I want to see if I can get a replacement.

Dang... When i read that you said there wasnt many bubbles, I was gonna tell you to check to see if there was a crack/split in the downstem. Seriously... I figured that might cause a whistle, but i knew it would cause less bubbles, but still same amount of smoke. and you wouldnt be able to tell the smoke was coming out of it very well either.

i say dang cause i wanted to be the one that fixed your problem hehe! Good job though man!

The duct tape should be alright for a while. sometimes it gets funky in water, but you should be ok for now. maybe get some JB weld (the quik kind for fastness) then right after your done smoking, clean hookah well and just put a little all the way down it and it should seal off pretty well.

Good luck man!

Yeah, I just read through this thread and my first inclination was "Broken Shank, south of bell". I was going to suggst pressure testing the main shank, but I guess I don't have to. Do you use ice in the water? Where did you get the hookah? What brand is it?

QUOTE (Sonthert @ May 8 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I just read through this thread and my first inclination was "Broken Shank, south of bell". I was going to suggst pressure testing the main shank, but I guess I don't have to. Do you use ice in the water? Where did you get the hookah? What brand is it?

Got it in Lebanon, no brand. the pieces all screw apart like a MYA, but I know it's not the same dimensions as a MYA because the MYA Leb to Egy. adapter didn't fit.