Do Hookah Coals Expire?

I can't seem to figure out why I've been getting a burnt or charcoal taste in my smoke. It's pretty harsh smoke from the beginning. I'm wondering if it could be the quick light Three King Coals I'm using. On the foil package it says June 2008. I'm wondering if that's saying it's expired and why I don't enjoy smoking out of either of my hookah's now.

If that's the case then can anyone recommend different, maybe natural coals. I have no clue what works the best? If that can't be the case then any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

1. it is probably just the fact that you are using quicklights
2. they dont expire, but if you leave them in a humid area they can absorb some moisture and kinda go bad

I have 8 rolls of golden coals and one roll that is open sitting outside for about 2 years now. They have encountered all the elements my yard could throw at them. I plan to try them out sometime.

QUOTE (Voski @ May 5 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 8 rolls of golden coals and one roll that is open sitting outside for about 2 years now. They have encountered all the elements my yard could throw at them. I plan to try them out sometime.

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of that!

But I'm with everyone else: either they are not fully lit, or its coming from somewhere else (maybe too much heat and you are burning the shisha?).

I prefer not to use quicklights, but I do for both hookah and incense, and I have had a batch for...hhhmmm.... 10 years or more (its was a BIG buy, someone going out of business). Still use them to this day, with no ill effect.

I dont know about three kings but the coals my local guy sells do this sometimes.

when I would buy them out of desperation before I found the afire coals I had about a 50/50 chance per pack.

if I opened a pack and they tasted good all the coals in that pack tasted good. but if i opened a pack that didnt then none of them in it would.

the bad ones tasted like a mix of burning plastic and coal dust. plus they would give me a 3 day headache.

maybe the same thing?

Could have nothing to do with coals, and be your bowl packing. Do you pack nice and thick? if its too thin, the bowl could char up real quick and taste bad. Do you use a phunnel? what shisha? Some more info could help out. Try coco's or exoticas or golden canary coals and if you get similar results it might not be coals.

coals can absorb moisture (in fact, they are great at absorbing) and it can cause them to not light well anymore. Sometimes they can crumble as well

Thanks everyone...I haven't been getting the bad taste anymore since I bought new three king coals. It was probably moisture or something but I like the sound of "natural" rather than quick so I'm about to order some natural coals that some of you recommended.

Now I just need the perfect shisha/shisha brand that I like and I will be happy. biggrin.gif