"swine-flu" And Hookah

Regardless of the severity of the new flu, make sure you are careful with your hookah. A hookah is perfect breeding grounds for this flu; it goes from one mouth to the next, perfect transmission of the flu virus. To protect yourself: start using tips for casual guests, separate hoses by user, and most of all, clean it when you're done!

Be careful! What we do is already bad enough smile.gif . Edited by karrotx

I had swine flu last time it hit the US when I was a kid. Took me down and kept me in bed for three solid weeks and took another six weeks before I was anywhere near approaching "normal" energy levels. Even so I'm not terribly worried about it this time around. Saliva is actually a terrible transmitter from what I understand. It's the virus on your hands, etc. and then touching your face that is the real problem. So according to WHO wash your hands often and try to avoid touching your face unless you've just washed your hands. Anything else isn't much use, though history has shown that acidfying your system - drinking lots of citrus, etc., make it much more difficult for the virus to survive and almost imposible to replicate within your body so any case you get is more likely to be mild.

'Rani

Its possible what I had at the end of March, Beginning of April was Swine Flu. It started in San Diego. Took me down for 2 1/2 days. I don't care what anybody says, anything that can take me down for more than 8 hours is dangerous.

That being said, why would a tip make a difference?

Nicotine is likely to be an anti-viral agent...so if you're smoking something with nicotine in you're less at risk. Glycerine is hygroscopic to some degree which will kill viruses too. They need a damp place to hang out. Something that is drying them out will kill them.

This is all conjecture, of course.

Influenza kills 500K-600K people per year. Whats this one killed...100?

I had a moment the other day when I was looking over the 'swine flu map' and was satisfied that I was far out of range for a good long while at least. Then I realized my last two shisha packages just came from California and Texas! ohmy.gif

theres always a new disease.. one year its the bird flu, next is sars, ecoli, westnile virus, anthrax now its swine flu.. surprisingly we have managed to survive all of them. some even smoked hookah and managed to survive.. how did they do it? because its not a real risk to the average american. what is a real risk is driving to work, going swimming, or riding a bike. if you want to survive then stay at home and never leave, but then again an airplane can crash into your house or a meteor can crash through your roof. guess we are really never safe are we?

Well said Canon, add that to the recent update that brought down the number dead from 150 to like 7 and I just think it's a nice little hysteria that places like the CDC and WHO are using to get more funding. Bureaucrats need to keep us believing they need our tax dollars! Anyways /rant off.

I live in Texas and I am really not too concerned with this, I think the people at true risk are going to be children and the elderly, just like with the regular flu. I've made it through a staff infection I got from a spider bite and that was as bad as the time I had the actual flu. All in all people will be fine, it's not going to be the pandemic flu like 1918 because we have much better sanitation and a higher standard of living. I agree it's no danger to the average person in America right now. Best thing if you get sick anyways is rest, rest, and plenty of fluids. If you get it it's a great excuse for some mint shisha anyways! Speaking of which, has anyone ever thought of a eucalyptus flavored shisha? Strange I know but my grandmother was asking about that, she seems to like that flavor. Might be even healthy if it's some kind of real eucalyptus vapor in the shisha, but I have no earthly idea how it handles heat etc. Imagine getting a cold and having your hookah instead of a cough drop! I'd dig it.

-Z

QUOTE (Thermo @ Apr 30 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a moment the other day when I was looking over the 'swine flu map' and was satisfied that I was far out of range for a good long while at least. Then I realized my last two shisha packages just came from California and Texas! ohmy.gif

Can you post a link? Never knew they had a map of it. Mono is going around my campus right now so I have started using a tip now. I know it sounds weird, but I actually use a tip for myself and let everyone else smoke without one. Figure thats the easiest way to do it. I don't feel like providing a tip for everyone and tips don't bother me so ya.

I am not one of those people worried frantic about it or anything, but with everything gong around, I am going to take the precautions. I am not using a tip solely because of the swine thing, its just everything.

I bought a pack of Soex before I knew how bad it sucked and they were free with it, so they didn't "cost" anything anyway.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ May 1 2009, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Thermo @ Apr 30 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you post a link? Never knew they had a map of it...

I think this is it:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&...3.99353&z=8

QUOTE (Karot @ Apr 30 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its OT but he totally stole my name, and tried to make it X-TREME!!!

Crazy, I've been using this name everywhere since 1999. Although it's a different meaning, I wish it was "x-treme!".

If you use individual tips it will cut down on saliva passing from you to the next person. I know, I know, you're not supposed to get the tip wet, but that doesn't meant it doesn't happen.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this. Meh.

QUOTE (Zyram @ Apr 30 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking of which, has anyone ever thought of a eucalyptus flavored shisha? Strange I know but my grandmother was asking about that, she seems to like that flavor. Might be even healthy if it's some kind of real eucalyptus vapor in the shisha, but I have no earthly idea how it handles heat etc. Imagine getting a cold and having your hookah instead of a cough drop! I'd dig it.

-Z

You can smoke mint and put a drop or two of eucalyptus essential oil in the water.

I didn't ever think of adding to the water, brilliant! I can def get my grandma into hookah now _sheesha2__by_Majunka_aurore.gif She smokes WAY too many cigs so maybe I can get her to cut down. I know when I smoked cigs I felt like crap, but when I quit those and went to hookah only I felt better. Started smoking some recently though, some rough personal issues and I am planning to quit again as soon as my new shisha order arrives.

-Z

QUOTE (Zyram @ May 1 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't ever think of adding to the water, brilliant! I can def get my grandma into hookah now _sheesha2__by_Majunka_aurore.gif She smokes WAY too many cigs so maybe I can get her to cut down. I know when I smoked cigs I felt like crap, but when I quit those and went to hookah only I felt better. Started smoking some recently though, some rough personal issues and I am planning to quit again as soon as my new shisha order arrives.

-Z

Psh.. I've tried cigs before. They were nasty tasting and hurt my throat. Hookah's never really made me feel like shit the way cigs did. My friend smokes them regularly and he coughs and hacks and wheezes, and when he comes over to smoke hookah he can't take very long pulls on the hose, and usually coughs from them too. Says they're "harsh". I think the cigs have destroyed his throat and lungs.

Hookah is probably 10 times healthier than cigs, but still bad for you. Any form of taking smoke into the lungs is obviously bad.

Look its a Flu.

Wash your hands, and don't hang out with hacking coughing morons who won't stay at home and let it run its course.

One of my friends probably HAS swine flu (lol) as his friend came back from MX a few months back and was diagnosed with it, sick for two weeks, and is now fine.

Its just a flu, and until it takes over the standard # of deaths per year of the regular Ol flu, I won't worry about it.