$55 Bottled Water

Charley

Seriously, though, now that we're here, what's everyone's favorite bottled water? I'll weigh in first. While hardly a connoisseur of water, I've had a few bottles of water I can highly recommend with a nice lunch or dinner. First and foremost, badoit: Edited by Sherwood

You're paying for the crystals on it, pop them off and sell em!

QUOTE (Sherwood @ Apr 29 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously, though, now that we're here, what's everyone's favorite bottled water? I'll weigh in first. While hardly a connoisseur of water, I've had a few bottles of water I can highly recommend with a nice lunch or dinner. First and foremost, badoit:

I'm not really into the whole idea of paying for overpriced water. I'd rather spend my money on something worthwhile.

Bottled water is shit. We pay for something we get for FREE FROM OUR TAPS??????? Tell that to African nations that hardly have enough drinking water for the people. Fucking stupid. Let alone how much making the bottles and shipping them costs in pollutants.

I am a little bit hypocritical because I do love Poland Spring sparkling naturally flavored water but that's more akin to soda than water imo.

For 55 bucks I'd rather a damn good bottle of wine or better yet, 5-11 decent bottles smile.gif Call me economical.

QUOTE (clumsygrace @ Apr 29 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not really into the whole idea of paying for overpriced water. I'd rather spend my money on something worthwhile.

I'm betting you've never had a bottle of Badoit, then. More to the point, not everywhere has drinkable water. Sure, you can filter it, and I do, but you try shipping spare PUR filters to the middle of the Anatolian desert for a few months, and you might drink bottled as well. Or, conversely, try ordering a glass of tap water in a nice little bistro on the Ile Saint Louis and see where that gets you...

"Worthwhile"is a pretty individual term. What's worthwhile to me may not be worthwhile to you. I like my indulgences, and I earn them. I presume you earn yours as well? Edited by Sherwood

id rather drink gas out of a bottle than water. its fucking stupid. my mom stockpiles bottled water. she always has 2 cases in the frige and a few laying around. why cant she buy 1 bottle drink it then refill it? i get free water in my apartment, and its from the same place that deerpark comes from. the only downside to my nalgenes is they still taste like iodine after 5 years

My favorite water bottle is a 1.5L OG nalgene. I have about 5 others that lay in various places around the house so I can get at them easy. I'm in the same boat as GNU, water is free and it's damn clean. So clean that it's optimal for brewing beer right out of the tap (local home brew club tests it regularly). There's no need to keep buying bottles and throwing them away, just too wasteful.

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Apr 30 2009, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
id rather drink gas out of a bottle than water. its fucking stupid. my mom stockpiles bottled water. she always has 2 cases in the frige and a few laying around. why cant she buy 1 bottle drink it then refill it? i get free water in my apartment, and its from the same place that deerpark comes from. the only downside to my nalgenes is they still taste like iodine after 5 years

you clearly havent tasted Arizona water... =P bottled is a must, but I buy it really cheap, 10 bucks worth of water lasts me a month. Some of us are smart and even recycle the bottles.

Only time I buy bottled water is if I'm on a road trip and need something to drink while I'm in the car. I drink a lot of water, but it comes out of my kitchen tap.

Hell, I don't even filter it or anything when I use it to make beer. Only thing I do is add 1/2 Campden tablet (sodium metabisulfite) per 10 gallons to neutralize any chlorine that has been added.

bottled water is a must in some places. I was born in West Texas, and I used to get bathed in bottled water because the water out there is so bad. Also, some places I've lived had excellent water, and others it tasted like chlorine, so alot of it will depend on where you live and what type of water filtration etc your town has. Just my 2 cents.

-Z

I thought about drinking more bottled water after I found out most scientists seem to think fluoridation of the water is baaaad. But I was raised on well water without fluoride anyway so I figure a few years worth won't hurt biggrin.gif.

there's always the option to get a filtration device to filter tap water instead of buying bottled.

you guys aren't looking at the pollution aspect from the other side, it's great to recycle your bottles but that doesn't stop the pollution brought by production and shipping.

This seems to be an argument between those who feel water is fungible and those who do not.

Most of the time, water is water, and I drink what's handy. Some of the time, water is an indulgence, or a hazard, and at those times it becomes anything but fungible.

Is it really appropriate to try and convince someone that their preference for bottled water is somehow wrong? Surely, this is just a drop in the bucket of objectionable things we all do.

Sure it's a drop in the bucket I know that....but it's what the topic at hand is, so yeaaaaah I'm gonna voice my opinion lol. If we were talking about buying pets and I feel it just makes sense to adopt it would be fair game to talk about that too...

I understand treating yourself but to me it's silly to consider water "gourmet". It's water, people survived for thousands of years on water from wells and other natural sources so to me, it's amazing that we (not you we as a society) now PAY for water from other parts of the world, supposedly "purified" in special ways. Something to think about, many "purified" bottled water sources are literally from the same resevoirs we get our drinking water from...it's the same stuff....

It's not just water, the wonton consumerist views we have in civilized nations drives me nuts. Yeah I buy stuff. I'm a part of it. We all are. But sometimes I think it goes too far, as in the case of bottled water.

Instead of my personal arguments and feelings here are some random facts that lead me to take the stance I do:

- Fiji Water produces more than a million bottles a day, while more than half the people in Fiji do not have reliable drinking water.
- If the water we use at home cost what even cheap bottled water costs, our monthly water bills would run $9,000.
- 24% of the bottled water we buy is tap water repackaged by Coke and Pepsi.
- The bubbles in San Pellegrino are extracted from volcanic springs in Tuscany, then trucked north and injected into the water from the source.
- We pitch into landfills 38 billion water bottles a year—in excess of $1 billion worth of plastic.
- Worldwide, 1 billion people have no reliable source of drinking water; 3,000 children a day die from diseases caught from tainted water.

Thirty years ago, bottled water barely existed as a business in the United States. Last year, we spent more on Poland Spring, Fiji Water, Evian, Aquafina, and Dasani than we spent on iPods or movie tickets--$15 billion. It will be $16 billion this year.

In 1976, the average American drank 1.6 gallons of bottled water a year, according to Beverage Marketing Corp. Last year, we each drank 28.3 gallons of bottled water--18 half-liter bottles a month. We drink more bottled water than milk, or coffee, or beer. Only carbonated soft drinks are more popular than bottled water, at 52.9 gallons annually.

heres where the info is from http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/117/fe...html?page=0%2C1

Fair enough.

I do still highly recommend you try a bottle of badoit, if you find yourself in France or England. I'm sure it's carried in other countries, but I've not seen it on offer.

For whatever reason, we don't drink water with gas in America. We must have gaseous springs, as they're randomly occurring, but we don't drink it. If, like me, you enjoy a glass of water "with bubbles" at a meal, your choices are limited.

I guess more than anything, I am surprised at the visceral backlash. Clearly sentiment against bottled water has grown in America without my knowing.