"intellectual Property" - Piracy

QUOTE (jaytoo3 @ May 17 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ May 17 2009, 03:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i find it really funny that someone in the music business says you cant make a good album with out them and spending a crap ton. with a really bad comparison, thats like apple saying you cant make a working computer with out them. the internet truly shows that you can. maybe its just my genera i listen to but you dont need expensive editing and other crap to make an album sound good, infact i think it sounds like crap from over editing. i refuse to listen to "remastered" albums because they sound like crap even ones that were originally recorded on "crap" in location like basements and store fronts. are you going to have a cher or tpain or new green day with out it? nope by why would you want that stuff?

can you make a good album? yes, will it be to the standards of that made in a studio owned by a major label? not a chance. the fact that the quality gap actually is narrowing will probably phase out major labels and then people will realize what they've forgot.... no indie or regular artist has distribution, connections or the bankroll for advertising and support. Then the usefulness will be present, but the ability will be in the past. Everyone has their theories, that one is mine.

and if you check the psystar lawsuit that apple had, you'd see that that's exactly what they said smile.gif

It's not editing that makes an album of quality. It is quality microphones and equipment with knowledgeable mastering teams and duplicators. remastering is basically someone trying to bring an album up-to-date with sound quality which i as you do disagree with. The time is captured in the primitive nature of the recording methods. the squeak of the bass drum pedal in James Brown's 'Sex Machine' is annoying as hell, but speaks volumes about the attitude in the music.

last time i checked a computer doesnt mean a apple. also they got in trouble for violating osx' license. in addition i can still go to newegg and buy all my parts and build a better computer for 1/2 the price. as for quality you are still wrong, look up "black dots" by bad brains. it was recorded in a store front and you can hear the sound guys kid talking to jr in between tracks and it still once of the greatest albums out there.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ May 17 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jaytoo3 @ May 17 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ May 17 2009, 03:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i find it really funny that someone in the music business says you cant make a good album with out them and spending a crap ton. with a really bad comparison, thats like apple saying you cant make a working computer with out them. the internet truly shows that you can. maybe its just my genera i listen to but you dont need expensive editing and other crap to make an album sound good, infact i think it sounds like crap from over editing. i refuse to listen to "remastered" albums because they sound like crap even ones that were originally recorded on "crap" in location like basements and store fronts. are you going to have a cher or tpain or new green day with out it? nope by why would you want that stuff?

can you make a good album? yes, will it be to the standards of that made in a studio owned by a major label? not a chance. the fact that the quality gap actually is narrowing will probably phase out major labels and then people will realize what they've forgot.... no indie or regular artist has distribution, connections or the bankroll for advertising and support. Then the usefulness will be present, but the ability will be in the past. Everyone has their theories, that one is mine.

and if you check the psystar lawsuit that apple had, you'd see that that's exactly what they said smile.gif

It's not editing that makes an album of quality. It is quality microphones and equipment with knowledgeable mastering teams and duplicators. remastering is basically someone trying to bring an album up-to-date with sound quality which i as you do disagree with. The time is captured in the primitive nature of the recording methods. the squeak of the bass drum pedal in James Brown's 'Sex Machine' is annoying as hell, but speaks volumes about the attitude in the music.

last time i checked a computer doesnt mean a apple. also they got in trouble for violating osx' license. in addition i can still go to newegg and buy all my parts and build a better computer for 1/2 the price. as for quality you are still wrong, look up "black dots" by bad brains. it was recorded in a store front and you can hear the sound guys kid talking to jr in between tracks and it still once of the greatest albums out there.

Well, tell that to apple, they don't think that there should be any other computer running their OS. You chose a horrible scenario as a rebuttle, because it's an actual scenario that was ruled unlawful to enforce, so Psystar can offer insane setups that run OSX, thus proving you wrong.

Your posing an opinion of quality in that album, it doesn't make sense to go on arguing it so I'll stop on that topic. It can be a great album, but not neccesarily for it's production and sound quality, but maybe for the content. I don't know, you might love it for it's sound quality, you might love it for the latter, but as someone who works behind the scenes to bring a product, as Eric does for Tangiers, i don't cut corners. I support bringing the upmost atmosphere, content and sound quality to the consumer. Downloading music doesn't cut it IMO. To tie this into the original poster's topic, if it's so great and you want to hear more of it, is it worth it for your instant gain to circumvent paying for it? or would you purchase it to ensure that more records of the sort can be created?

want to know what else doesnt make sense? how you dont know the difference between a computer and operating system. i said that its like apple saying you cant build a COMPUTER with out them. computers existed before apple and will exist after apple and in better quality and cheaper just like music and multip million dollar albums

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ May 17 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
want to know what else doesnt make sense? how you dont know the difference between a computer and operating system. i said that its like apple saying you cant build a COMPUTER with out them. computers existed before apple and will exist after apple and in better quality and cheaper just like music and multip million dollar albums

Regardless, the referral pertains. Apple said "Hey, you can't make computers that offer my service. We have 100% of that market and wont accept less." Psystar made the computers and modified the BIOS to run their OS, so they are saying that you can't offer COMPUTERS (i have that shift key too...) without them.

Multi million dollar albums are being phased out very quickly. You don't see it, but they are. They are keeping their weakness very quiet at the moment but if things continue as they are, the big 3 will be gone. iTunes music store was a stall...

Stealing music is wrong... Edited by jaytoo3

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ May 17 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you slow or something? i could spend 1000$ on newegg and make a computer and put linux, windows, or gnu/herd on it and it has NOTHING to do with the pystar ruling.

Out of respect for the forum, i'll cease the argument. It seems as though that you can't have a constructive debate without trying to personally insult someone. Calling someone slow isn't going to cause some to understand your point any better. Good luck.

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ May 16 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mustang_steve @ May 12 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course I am aware of those laws, however I do not perform publicly iwth this music, and the music is delivered to my own ears only, or in case of guests in my car or apartment, in there only...thus are under the same usage as a normal CD. This is fair use of the product, and I respect NO legislation that tells me otherwise. They have a problem with it, they can go F themselves.

the government doesnt care if you respect it or not its still a felony to rip a cd or make a backup copy of it. could you imagine a rapist saying they dont respect the rape law so its ok?

QUOTE (mustang_steve @ May 12 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was merely looking at this from a perspective of fair revenue for those that worked towards the finished product (the music, and the delivery method of it, whether CD, DVD, record, cassette, 8-track, download from an authorized source, etc). In the end, the single largest argument I hear is "the labels are greedy, support the artist"...without that label, you'd probably never heard of the artist due to lack of promotion, lack of radio airtime, lack of TV airtime, etc. They do a LOT of work for the artist that we don't see....they also provide the up-front cash for them to get their albums out (although the terms of such is pretty predatory).

i havent listened to the radio since about 2001 and only watch history channe, food network and sports on tv. all the bands i listen to i either found out from last.fm, from friends or from a site that shows similar artists on the download page. i guess people cant fathom how non major labels work.

as for jaytoo i guess you also defend actors that make millions on shitty movies too. you know it is possible to spend under 1000$ on an album and still have it kick ass. hell you can make one for under 100$.

BTW, nice troll attempt using rape when something else could have been used, and in a more appropriate context. Actually, I'm pretty offended that anyone would equate rape with a copyright issue....so I'm not even going to make this a polished post...that kind of reply doesn't deserve it.

That said, you have some serious legal misconceptions. Ripping IS LEGAL, otherwise Apple, MS, the former company Rio/Sonicblue (died from lack of customers), Nullsoft, and many others would have been sued for making software that allows copyright infringement....oh wait, Roxio allows CD Ripping....HOLY SHIT SONY SHOULD SUE THEMSELVES.

The legal issue is bypassing DRM...and that falls under the 1988 Digital Millenium Copyright Act...which has less to do with copyrights than it has for using DRM as a tool to deny fair use rights to the consumer. If you've noticed to date, every DMCA case has been about copy protection, and not copying of non-protected works.

How is this relevant? Mostly because the majority of labels no longer use such software. If there's no protection on it, then there's no DMCA violation. One can argue about the copyright bit, however that's not something coverable under that law, as it's a piece of data that relies on external protection schemes, and is not an integral protection system on the disc.

Either way....I'm done in this thread.

I was in a band local to NY and the only way you could buy the CD off of us is if you bought it first hand off of us. People would come up to us and say "Great CD!" (((who never bought the CD))) I knew it was on the internet and I didnt care because it got us out there and if people really liked the album they would buy it but if not come to the show and support us that way. So where I am getting at MUSICIANS make more money and get more fans this way.

Oh and they also make money off the merchandise like Tshirts/stickers and what not anything but CD's... The legality of piracy is stupid. It helps out in the long run. Edited by newjacksm

QUOTE (newjacksm @ May 19 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in a band local to NY and the only way you could buy the CD off of us is if you bought it first hand off of us. People would come up to us and say "Great CD!" (((who never bought the CD))) I knew it was on the internet and I didnt care because it got us out there and if people really liked the album they would buy it but if not come to the show and support us that way. So where I am getting at MUSICIANS make more money and get more fans this way.

Oh and they also make money off the merchandise like Tshirts/stickers and what not anything but CD's... The legality of piracy is stupid. It helps out in the long run.

In the long run, when they check their books, they'll realize that they operate at a loss and won't be able to sustain that activity. It helps out no one but the consumer. They don't make a decent return off of selling shirts and stickers because they don't have the funds to order enough to see the warehouse discount. if they are loaded and can operate at that loss, good for them, but after 5-6 years, they are done.

It's illegal, the artist or owner of that right should have sole discresion on how there music is distributed. Without it, they have no control. if you don't think this is important, i don't know what to say.