Slightly Home Made Hookah

sirkeeper

hey everyone, I'm new here, this is going to be the first thread i start. so here we go.

I bought my first hookah two weeks ago, and with in a week of use, the cheaply made stem had rusted at the base (where the hose/purge valve connect) so since at the time i didn't have the money to get a better hookah, i thumbed through the various how-to's for making your own, and came up with this idea.

I went to the local home improvement store and purchased a black rubber stopper that would fit the vase.

I then preceded to take apart the entire stem, and removed the hose port, and the purge valve from the base of the stem.

(in my hookah, the stem is a tube with a decorative piece around it, which was easy to unscrew the tube from that decorative piece)

I drilled three holes into the rubber stopper, one for the stem itself, which i got lucky with, the stem and the downstem fit snuggly into so that i didn't have to use any epoxy or adhesive. i also drilled holes straight through the rubber stopper for the hose port and the purge valve (just a little smaller than the size of the bottom of the hose port and purge valve so they fit air tight)

after piecing it all together, and packing the bowl, it smoked wonderfully.

hope this is of use to someone.

{hmm i don't seem to have the ability to edit my own post -shrugs-}

also after looking around at the various posts about LED bases, i decided to give it a cheap whirl. In the pictures below you can see it glow, that is due to me placing one of those sticky LED press lights inside a two inch roll of tape, turning it on, then placing the hookah on top of it. The effect is really nice glow in my opinion. i will probably end up making some sort of table since i keep seeing them on the forum.

QUOTE (SimplexCoda @ Apr 25 2009, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nicely done. I was thinking of doing almost exactly the same thing, but making my own stem and stuff, but using a vase and a rubber stopper as the heart.

thanks , that was my initial idea, and i was going to use stainless tubing, but i was unable to find anything localy, so i decided to get creative with what i had, and it worked out nicely. Edited by sirkeeper

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
this looks really cool. when i first joined i had a strong desire to make a hookah out of random stuff i could find around my house. congrats and welcome!

• 1 month later...