As Many Of You May Know About My Issues With Tang

alright.

Well the tang is starting to smell like tropical punch again, lets see if it holds up or if it goes back to yuck.

Tomorrow it is going to be 90 here according to weather.com so we will see ... in the mean time im thinking about picking up a thermometer for dew point.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got 3 Tangs here today, and upon opening them they smelt like what they're supposed to be. Watermelon smelt sweet, Orange Soda smelt heavily like an orange soda, and Sour smelt like.. is it supposed to smell like Tootsie Rolls? 'Cause that's what it reminded me of.

5-10 minutes later the smell has sorta died down, though. I don't know if they're in shock yet.

Orange Soda still smells heavenly. Smells like those orange cream ice cream bars. Oooooh baby. I wanna eat it! laugh.gif

Watermelon smells like.. I dunno.. it smells sweet, but.. not like Watermelons.

Sour still smells like Tootsie Rolls. Heh. I still dunno if that's what it's supposed to smell like. It's a pleasantly sweet smell, not a bad one.

Just got notice from FedEx that my super Tangiers order is waiting for me what I get home. Can't wait.

Horchata
Orange Soda
Guava
Pear
Static Starlight
Kashmir Peach

I am unlikely to acclimate them all at once, but I will record as much data as I can as I do each one.

Currently acclimating Kashmir Peach (and this is gonna be a test of will)

Opened at 5:20 PM est
87 Def F
41% humidity

Acclimating in a S&S seal and lock container (I must get more of these, seems perfect)

Smelled awesome in the pouch (floral and spice over tones - almost incense like, with a yummy peach smell lurking in there). Dumped it into the bowl and wrang as many drops of the juices as I could out of the plastic (A surprising amount). Stirred with a fork, spreading the tobacco out as evenly and thinly as I could.

Still smells awesome. Moved to the basement (my smoking area), where the humidity is probably a little higher.

I expect the scent to permeate a large portion of the basement before long.

This might be the worst acclimation to endure. Every time I catch a whiff of the stuff, I want to grab it and SMOKE IT!

QUOTE (evilded777 @ Apr 28 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Scoop @ Apr 28 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if it smells awesome...you can smoke it.

Just to be on the safe side, I do like to let it acclimate a little. Probably won't be more than a few hours, and I will smoke it tomorrow.

if humidity changes, that leaves it up to chance to be smokable. id smoke it while i could heh

yeah, if it stays smelling delicious after 20 mins or so, you're just torturing yourself.

Even though the weather changes a lot here, it's almost always pretty humid. but here:

UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: From NNE at 6 mph
Humidity: 68%
Pressure: 30.18 in.
Dew Point: 55°F
Visibility: 8.0 miles

Ok so this is like ... day 8? I don't even remember anymore, but half of it smells like vanilla, and half smells somewhat like tropical punch/Hawaiian punch.

I make sure to stir it really really well and i still have half smelling like one thing, and the other smelling like another.

This is the best it has smelt yet though and the info is as follows:

68.9 °F / 20.5 °C
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 47 °F / 8 °C

Oh and what is considered high fluctuation in dew point? tomorrow the difference from the am to pm is only like 5-6

but on wednesday the morning is supposed to be 43 and night time is gonna be somewhere around 22.

so what exactly is considered a high fluctuation? the difference of about 20? 30 ?

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Apr 27 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
alright.

Well the tang is starting to smell like tropical punch again, lets see if it holds up or if it goes back to yuck.

Tomorrow it is going to be 90 here according to weather.com so we will see ... in the mean time im thinking about picking up a thermometer for dew point.

cheap cool thermometer

their email special showed up in my inbox today

I broke down and opened the Static Starlight.

Not at all sure what that is SUPPOSED to smell like, but it sure as hell don't smell bad!

Opened at 9:40 PM EST
79 def F
39% humidity

Aroma: in the pouch... ummm, Champagne? Ambrosia? Not at all sure. Had a little bite to it. Dumped into container, squeezed out all the juices I could. Forked it around. Aroma mellowed a bit, I wanna say white grape or champagne grape (but what the hell do I know?). Still a very complex bouquet.

Sealed the container since I was on the way to bed and did not want to leave it out overnight. Whiffed this morning: still smells awesome.

Smoked the KPeach tonight. Knocked my socks off.

Data on the other flavors I opened today

Hochata

4:00 PM est
70 deg f
33% hum

Aroma: nutty, creamy... in the container: cinnamon, earthy, nutty creamy;
This is gonna be good.

Pear

4:10 PM
69.8 deg f
33% hum

Aroma: pear, maybe a hint of "soy" when first opened the bag. It was gone quickly. Seemed "gooier" than others. More juice in the bag then some. Smells like a juicy, yummy pear

Orange Soda

4:14 pm

69.4 deg f
33% hum

Aroma: orange soda! then it was more orange than soda, but evened out quickly in the container and settled somewhere in between

Guava

4:30 pm

69.6 deg f
33% hum

Aroma: guava, incomparable. Lots and lots of juice wrung out of the bag. The guava aroma competed with the other three, and was damn near close to drowning the others out. But man did my kitchen smell awesome for a while with all 4 of these open on the counter.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Apr 29 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You suck man, heh. Seems like you have no acclimation issues at all!

I do not know why I would be special. It makes me scratch my head, and wonder why other people have trouble. But for now, I am just gonna enjoy it... and if my experience helps someone, great.

Upset that tonite is T'ai Chi class, and there's NO time to hookah today.

today my trop punch smells like a mix of plastic and punch again.

I think imma just toss it, i hate to do it but ... i don't know what to think anymore.

In the future i may try gettin a 250g b/c this tropical punch was a sample so you never know what coulda happened.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Apr 30 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think imma just toss it, i hate to do it but ... i don't know what to think anymore.

In the future i may try gettin a 250g b/c this tropical punch was a sample so you never know what coulda happened.

why throw it away? you can just leave it in some tupperware for a while and see what happens.

I'm with Scoop, stick it in some tupperware and store it away.

I don't understand how this stuff can be so finicky... but I'm gonna keep an eye on my temps and humidity when the next batches of lucid mystery flavors come in.

QUOTE (Scoop @ Apr 30 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Apr 30 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why throw it away? you can just leave it in some tupperware for a while and see what happens.

Agreed, unless you MUST throw it away I say hang onto it. I got some OG tangiers root beer LAST summer. Never got it to acclimate right. I was going through my box last month and found it. FINALLY acclimated the closest I've ever smelled it.