As Many Of You May Know About My Issues With Tang

I am giving it another go. I have gotten K-peach, K-cherry, and melon blend to all smoke fine in the past, but all the rest of the flavors never smelt right after acclimating (especially blueberry) and they never tasted right.

After I figured it out more or less, there was no tickle, no harsh smoke, no thin smoke, everything seemed fine, but the flavor was just so weird, bbq, soy sauce, you know the typical smells/taste you get when acclimation is off sometimes it just tasted like nothing at all, just pure tobacco. Other than the few flavors i named above the other 7-8 flavors i bought never smelt even remotely close to what they should be. Believe it or not you Tangiers lovers, it would not acclimate right for me.

So I got some samples from HJ from my last order from him and i popped open the bag of tropical punch i got, and it actually smelt pretty damn good right out of the bag, so I said you know what, everyone and everything deserves a second chance, so I am giving a flavor i had no luck with in the past, another go.

Now that I think about it, i don't know if it was tropical punch or tropical revenge i bought in the past eh, anyways

Wish me luck,

I think Imma need it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just smoked it, clouds were medium, no tickle, and great flavor, so far so good i'll be trying the k-peach again and watermelon.

Fair enough scoop, but in all honesty, acc had been an issue for me in the past.

Future orders with different flavors will be the real test, I think my packing was fine all along once i narrowed it down from the start.

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Apr 20 2009, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
let like the coals and let them sit on the bowl a few minutes without taking a hit. I'm not sure if it is the preheating or what but I've had my best Tang sessions that way.

Agreed, I let my coals sit there for a min or two then take a hit, full flavor, full smoke, and my friends are amazed lol

I feel you Matt, I have a problem with some flavors acclimating right. As far as I'm aware it's just where you live, the climates they ship through, things like that. Weird sometimes I get perfectly acclimated flavors and sometimes they never quite get there.

QUOTE (fineout @ Apr 20 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i feel like anything that is finicky with changing climate should have no place in new england...you could think its january in may or july in december.

I would tend to agree with this; but so far, had no issues with my Tangiers. Crossed fingers, knock on wood, etc.

yeah, maybe I just had real bad luck in the past, my session last night went really well. Other than the fact that the clouds weren't beastly, but I was being real careful with the heat, I think if I added another half coal it would have been perfect.

I'll be trying those other flavors in the next couple days.

On a side note: Does anyone know why if you pack tang in an Egyptian bowl the juices drip down like nobody's business but when you pack say ... nakhla mizo in an Egyptian not one drop of juice drips out of the bowl?

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Apr 20 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, maybe I just had real bad luck in the past, my session last night went really well. Other than the fact that the clouds weren't beastly, but I was being real careful with the heat, I think if I added another half coal it would have been perfect.

I'll be trying those other flavors in the next couple days.

On a side note: Does anyone know why if you pack tang in an Egyptian bowl the juices drip down like nobody's business but when you pack say ... nakhla mizo in an Egyptian not one drop of juice drips out of the bowl?

Glad that's working out for you. As far as Nakhla Mizo vs Tangiers: I only have Mizo Peach so I don't know how representative that it is of the rest of the line; but its NO WHERE near as juciy as Tangiers. Its just not. Sure, its not as dry and sticky as regular Nakhla, but its consistency is more like Al Waha than Tangiers. Its just not wet enough to drip that much! Of course, that's my limited experience talking.

the mizo stuff i had recently was as dry as the regular stuff. mizo peach and grape had literally no juice. smoked ok, burned out quick though.

matt, i believe you when you say acclimation had been an issue. we took white grape to miami, when we opened it up, the smell went from grape to soy sauce, and it took 5 days of airing it out to get it to start smelling right.

yeah so far so good with acc with k-peach, and tropical punch.

Did you push off all of the juices that stick to the bag for the mizo?

i find if you dont take the juices off of that shitty bag they use on the inside of the box, the mizo will be dry and yield low duration, but if you press it together and squeeze it all out, it makes mizo very wet, my peach, grape, and cherry are all pretty juicy, juicy enough to get a 2 hour session out of a 15g egyptian bowl and to me that is definitely duration!

the bags were oily, but it was sticky feeling oil. i tried to get as much as i could. the grape lasted about 45mins in a small phunnel before it started getting gross.

yeah there is definitely something wrong there man, I can get 2 hours out of mizo in a medium to small egyptian as i stated before.

All of the mizo i have gotten (about 8-9 250g's) had globs upon globs of sticky juice that was all over the bag, i just squeezed it and got loads of juice. I would definitely try buying another bag and giving it another go if the only thing you didnt like was the duration. If you didn't care for the flavor ... well then ... don't buy it again lol.

Did you only try grape? The peach is yummy as well as the cherry, smells funny, but tastes awesome, but you have to like rose, if you don't like rose, don't buy it.

edit: I think nak smokes way better out of egyptian bowls, rather than a phunnel.

i had grape, mint and peach. peach smells exactly like regular. mint is ok, has a weird aftertaste i wasn't too fond of. grape was decent, held me over till i got tangiers white grape.

rose is something i cant smoke, and cherry is scary.

haha, i guess we are just two different beasts scoop.

i find the better tang smokes for me, the more i appreciate the "old school traditional" taste of nak.

the mint needs to be acclimated, i don't know if you did but, it tastes much better for me after acclimating.

BTW guys his name is John not Matt.

I only use my phunnel for smoking Tang. I can get close to 2hrs out of my medium egyptian bowls as well and I get denser smoke than my phunnel.

Mizo Grape has a weird after taste.

Tang White Grape is Amazing you should definitely give it a go if you like grape flavoured mo3aseel.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Apr 20 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JD you are nuts if you don't like nak strawberry. Actually I take that back, it is kind of a weird strawberry, its like strawberry jam ... i love it :-)

I use it as a mixer mainly

I think I screwed mine up when I added honey and glycerine to the tub. I should just add it to the bowl, not the tub. It became flavorless.

that's weird how some people report flavor loss, in order to lose flavor you need to put like 20 tsp in, is that what you did? lol when i first experimented i put up to 10 tsp per tub and still had tons of flavor. I now use anywhere from 3-6 tsp depending on how wet it is from the start for all the original nakhla, the mizo doesn't need anything added.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Apr 20 2009, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's weird how some people report flavor loss, in order to lose flavor you need to put like 20 tsp in, is that what you did? lol when i first experimented i put up to 10 tsp per tub and still had tons of flavor. I now use anywhere from 3-6 tsp depending on how wet it is from the start for all the original nakhla, the mizo doesn't need anything added.

I don't think there was much flavor to begin with. It came really, really, REALLY dry. The Nak cherry I got with it came wet like Tangiers, which was nice. But the strawberry was dry and flavorless.

I don't think I would call any of the kashmir flavors good for those new to Tangiers flavors. They're good, but they're so intense that if you don't know what you're looking for, the bowl can be terrible, and you'd never even notice over the kick to the junk you just received from the nicotine.

Blueberry IMO is one of the most temperamental flavors he makes. I can't even always get it to smoke suitably. When it's right though man, it's like a freshly baked blueberry muffin, and one of my absolute favorite flavors.