"old" New Hookah Lovers

I'm glad I found your forum, and I'm especially grateful for the "reviews" forum. I discovered hookah thanks to my teenager's friend bringing her hookah over while I was trying to quit cigs. Now I'm hooked (and she's thrilled). I have no clue how old most of you are but I figure there probably aren't many like me, 41 year old females new to hookah. wink.gif

BTW, I was going to post in that thread about DejaVu shisha, but since I'm new I figured I'd be taunted with slams saying I'm a rep. (I'm not...I just discovered the stuff by accident and love the chocolate-strawberry flavor!)

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and see how many others are here in my age range...AND find out if my kid's friend was wrong when she showed me how to set up my hookah! I think she's a noob and does some things wrong...especially after reading the posts here. Edited by SilverK

Welcome to the forum!

There are other members over 40 floating around here, but most are younger...I'm 22 myself

Get some pics and description of your setup, we'd love to help you out.

What type of pipe do you own?

QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Apr 16 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the forum!

There are other members over 40 floating around here, but most are younger...I'm 22 myself

R1...I'm rockin' a "Hypnosis Junior Hookah" for the time being, with your basic bowl and hose included in the kit/box. It works fine I figure, since I'm able to produce the big clouds and more importantly killer flavor and buzz with the different shishas I've tried. Started with Fusion, then read up on here and tried a few others. Being in Arizona I stumbled on DejaVu, tried it mostly because it smelled amazing, and fell in love with the chocolate-strawberry. Also found a few that are just plain GROSS (Fusion flavors).

The thing I'm wondering is this: I was shown to load the bowl by putting foil down first, then poking holes and loading shisha, then putting foil on top, poking holes in THAT and then putting coals on top of that foil. But I don't see anyone here giving a "how to" that includes that first layer of foil. Seems without it the bowl would get nasty and the shisha would get sucked in and make a big clogging mess. So what is the best/right way with regard to loading shisha on top of foil or not putting any foil on the bottom of the bowl? Is that a noob booboo? Edited by SilverK

Usually the "normal" technique for packing a bowl is to just load it, without foil in the bowl, with your fingers, a fork, etc. Once it is pretty much even with the edges of the bowlc cover it with foil then poke holes in the foil. Any design is pretty much fine, I usually do 3 circles of holes, but just play around with it. The only reason I could see to place foil at the bottom of the bowl would be if the holes were abnormally large or something like that. Most shisha is wet and sticky enough that you don't need to worry about much pulling through. If some does it will come out of the shank with a rinse of water, or just fall through to the base. I would think you should be fine just using one piece of foil, that is what most/all of us do here.
And welcome, always good to see new people enjoying the tradition, culture, etc. You seem very open minded, which is great.

QUOTE (SilverK @ Apr 16 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Apr 16 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the forum!

R1...I'm rockin' a "Hypnosis Junior Hookah" for the time being, with your basic bowl and hose included in the kit/box. It works fine I figure, since I'm able to produce the big clouds and more importantly killer flavor and buzz with the different shishas I've tried. Started with Fusion, then read up on here and tried a few others. Being in Arizona I stumbled on DejaVu, tried it mostly because it smelled amazing, and fell in love with the chocolate-strawberry. Also found a few that are just plain GROSS (Fusion flavors).

The thing I'm wondering is this: I was shown to load the bowl by putting foil down first, then poking holes and loading shisha, then putting foil on top, poking holes in THAT and then putting coals on top of that foil. But I don't see anyone here giving a "how to" that includes that first layer of foil. Seems without it the bowl would get nasty and the shisha would get sucked in and make a big clogging mess. So what is the best/right way with regard to loading shisha on top of foil or not putting any foil on the bottom of the bowl? Is that a noob booboo?

First of all, welcome to the Forum!

Ok, I've never heard of anybody using that technique and the reason most of us don't worry about the shisha making a nasty mess in our bowls is because we use Phunnel Bowls. These keep all of the juices nice and contained without dripping down the stem causing a mess that will have to be washed out.

With a regular bowl, most of the time you'll get a black/red mess dripping down and into the stem, this won't affect smoke adversely but will have to be cleaned out (Hot water usually rinses it out in no time). If you're worried about the shisha clogging the holes and causing a problem on the draw, just don't pack it tight and it will work pretty well.

Hope this helps you out! smile.gif

QUOTE (ColibriDon @ Apr 16 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all, welcome to the Forum!

Ok, I've never heard of anybody using that technique and the reason most of us don't worry about the shisha making a nasty mess in our bowls is because we use Phunnel Bowls. These keep all of the juices nice and contained without dripping down the stem causing a mess that will have to be washed out.

With a regular bowl, most of the time you'll get a black/red mess dripping down and into the stem, this won't affect smoke adversely but will have to be cleaned out (Hot water usually rinses it out in no time). If you're worried about the shisha clogging the holes and causing a problem on the draw, just don't pack it tight and it will work pretty well.

Hope this helps you out! smile.gif

I think she's more or less just saying that's how it was shown to her.

As to if that's right or not well... not really. Sounds like someone just doesn't like to get juice on their fingers during clean-up haha. Having the first layer of foil won't really hurt much either though, although it may slightly reduce the length of the bowl because it'll conduct the heat around bottom of the shisha a bit more.

Welcome to the forums, you'll find some good information here behind all the raving opinions and fanboyism. laugh.gif

QUOTE (SilverK @ Apr 16 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad I found your forum, and I'm especially grateful for the "reviews" forum. I discovered hookah thanks to my teenager's friend bringing her hookah over while I was trying to quit cigs. Now I'm hooked (and she's thrilled). I have no clue how old most of you are but I figure there probably aren't many like me, 41 year old females new to hookah. wink.gif

BTW, I was going to post in that thread about DejaVu shisha, but since I'm new I figured I'd be taunted with slams saying I'm a rep. (I'm not...I just discovered the stuff by accident and love the chocolate-strawberry flavor!)

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and see how many others are here in my age range...AND find out if my kid's friend was wrong when she showed me how to set up my hookah! I think she's a noob and does some things wrong...especially after reading the posts here.

welcome. Im a married 41 year old male. No kids. and i actually own a hookah bar and run this cat herd. smile.gif

You would probably be pleasantly suprised at the number of 40+ women come into my place on "girls night out" or with their hudbands/Significan Others, and try hookah for the first time. I've had a fair numbe rof them actually BUY hookahs from me. I Myself have only been smoking hookah for about 5 years so I started late as well.

Welcome to the forum, thank youor daughter for us, and don't pay too much attention that we are surrounded by 18 to 20 somethings. wink.gif

Welcome to the forum, if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask we'll answer them generously and hopefully quickly! My first hookah was a junior it's definitely a good hookah to learn with what you are doing. If you stay on the forum and become apart of the community I am sure within a month you will want a phunnel bowl a KM/MZ and or MYA Hookah, a KM,Razan/Nammor hose and Tangiers shisha...

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Apr 16 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the forum, if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask we'll answer them generously and hopefully quickly! My first hookah was a junior it's definitely a good hookah to learn with what you are doing. If you stay on the forum and become apart of the community I am sure within a month you will want a phunnel bowl a KM/MZ and or MYA Hookah, a KM,Razan/Nammor hose and Tangiers shisha...

Phhht, shouldn't say noob...so then I guess calling my kiddo poontang ain't kosher either? tongue.gif She doesn't mind...why should you?

You're right Jack...I'm already scoping out a phunnel, and trying to figure out why they seem so RARE. Haven't figured that one out yet, but I can tell they're highly preferred to the kraptacular bowl I've got. I dunno...I like it. So far. And yeah, I'll probably be getting a KM or MZ. So far the KM seems better-regarded. But the jury's out still. It's something I'll be researching here!

And I doubt I'll be jonesing for Tangiers, after the reading I've done, but I DO appreciate all the info that the Skeletor-Avatar vendor puts here on the forum (thank you...can't remember your name right now, sorry).

And yes, I'm open-minded. To an extent wink.gif

And you play Quake? You ever try Urban Terror? Quake 3 mod. we run a private game on a closed server and Team speak if you ever care to join us. The only thing we frown on is Sobriety.

Phunnels are so rare because 1 man is responsible for the entire production of them, and it can sometimes take Months to get them in. When they do get in they tend to go REAL fast.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Apr 16 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And you play Quake? You ever try Urban Terror? Quake 3 mod. we run a private game on a closed server and Team speak if you ever care to join us. The only thing we frown on is Sobriety.

Phunnels are so rare because 1 man is responsible for the entire production of them, and it can sometimes take Months to get them in. When they do get in they tend to go REAL fast.

Mmm, no, don't play Quake or other games. Did I pick an avatar that's a game? My bad. It just looks something like my tat.

Your earlier post about the women that come out and smoke is interesting. I didn't know, but then my girlfriends my age keep saying they're gonna come smoke on mine. I guess it's no surprise I'd like hookah. My kiddo knew I'd want one as soon as I tried it. I think I was played... tongue.gif

Thanks for the explanation on phunnels. Makes sense now! So the picture of a broken phunnel WAS a real tragedy! Dang. Maybe I'm weird, but I LIKE the way the regular bowl works. I've read up on the phunnel and it doesn't sound like my bag.

And yeah, I figured the two-foil layout wasn't the norm, which is why I asked. But it DOES make it cleaner. I'll give it a try without that layer and see how it smokes. Maybe someone else will want to try it "my" way and see what they think! blush.gif Edited by SilverK

I'm SilverK's kid, the one you should be thanking for your newest addition. We're currently testing smoking without the bottom layer of foil. We have some icy water in the bottom thar, and so far it's great. I love big, puffy clouds, and not having the first layer of foil seems to be the best way to get them. The flavour is strong, as well. It hits softer, and it started faster. So I'm kind of disappointed in my friend for introducing me to hookah with too much foil. However, I'm thankful for this forum. I first made fun of my mom for joining a forum, and called her a troll. Anyone I know that's on forums is usually a troll. But since she's been teaching me the ways of the thing I introduced her too, my snide comments have subsided...

So, thanks a bunch.

Welcome. I also live in Arizona. Glendale/Peoria valley and i have also tried Deja vu. I am very pleased with the brand however i have only tried 2 flavors and Razzle dazzle has way to much of a floral taste by it self so i just mix it with some lemon and it is really good.

QUOTE (HsK BATES @ Apr 16 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome. I also live in Arizona. Glendale/Peoria valley and i have also tried Deja vu. I am very pleased with the brand however i have only tried 2 flavors and Razzle dazzle has way to much of a floral taste by it self so i just mix it with some lemon and it is really good.

Hm, haven't tried that one because frankly it smelled gross! ohmy.gif

I'm hoping that a DejaVu review thread will be created because I've tried four and loved three of them. The chocolate strawberry is better than any banana split I've ever eaten; and their Passion Fruit is INCREDIBLE; the cantaloupe is as good as Fusion's melon; but the Ocean Mist took a couple tries before it tasted right. It smelled great but it was menthol-like the first time. Second time it was better. According to the seller, Ocean Mist is a favorite of "everyone" but I disagree.

Mushrat...how about a DejaVu Review Thread? wink.gif

QUOTE (mushrat @ Apr 16 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the forum, thank youor daughter for us, and don't pay too much attention that we are surrounded by 18 to 20 somethings. wink.gif

Hey, those 18-20 somethings that aren't banned in the first week aren't all that bad. Except Cotsi. Avoid Cotsi like the plague.

So many things went through my mind while reading this thread... I'll leave them there though. Many things that go on in that thing are not to be let loose among the public.

Welcome to the forum! Both of you!! ZombieDoll, I am going to call you kiddo from now on, sorry. blame your mother...

Do the two of you smoke together often? I think that would be pretty fun to smoke with my mom... maybe... My mother was about silvers age when she had me so.... yeah huge generation gap.

It's always fun with new members. especially the slightly older ones that may have more money than some of us. This place has demons that make you spend lots of moneys on bowls, hookahs, hoses, shisha, coals, and other stuff. Kiddo will be jealous!

I think the Phunnel bowl you were referring to was mine. That was not an ordinary Phunnel bowl, it was a "Mini Phunnel". It was a special, one-time, thing that probably wont happen again so i was a little upset.

Rules yes, read them. I don't think you will have a problem though, but just in case. I know them all and i still read them sometimes.

Stick around, learn, contribute, all of the above.

I've had other people set up their hookahs using the bottom foil method. There's no real benefit other than it makes cleaning up go faster, but then again there wasn't a harder pull. It's pretty much saving foil to saving time.

Welcome to the forum. I'm on the backside of 40 sad.gif There's rocks, mountains and glaciers younger than me!
This is a great group of folks here. I learn a lot from them. Thanks to many members on this forum the hookah is alive and well and even as old as the tradition is there have been improvements.
Southnert is one of the members that has been around longest and the inventor of the phunnel bowl as well as Tangiers shisha. How cool is that? wink.gif
So you'll see some things here first that become very popular in the hookah world outside of the forum... only we know who came up with it. smile.gif
As you get to playing with this stuff you'll probably go outside the lines and come up with your own ideas. Just be sure to share them wink.gif
Again, welcome to the forum, the captain has turned off the no smoking sign but please keep your seatbelt on and enjoy the wild ride ohmy.gif

Don't let Scalli be too modest. He has brought his fair share of sweet inventions to the hookah world himself, namely the Scalli mod (see?), his new herbal shisha which is apparently the dog's bollocks, and the new coal burner he is cooking up (ba-dum tish!). You'll find a lot of helpful, interesting, and innovative people here on Hookah Forum. Welcome to the circus.

QUOTE (Hojo @ Apr 16 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mushrat @ Apr 16 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, those 18-20 somethings that aren't banned in the first week aren't all that bad. Except Cotsi. Avoid Cotsi like the plague.

WHY HELLO THERE...LMAO