So,what Ingredients Make Up Your Quick Lite Charcoal

I've been smoking for 8 years and only use quick lighting charcoal, the "Good Stuff"(Natural coals) are too much for me to handle the mess and all. My biggest pet peeve about smoking hookah is the charcoals, and I only imagined what went into them until today I came accross this factory in China that tells all :Visit My Website
"Charcoal,coke,iron oxide,iron concentrate,metal powder, DRIED SEWAGE SLUDGE,steelwork dust,etc"
Sounds sweet

That site basically just lists things that could be used to make charcoal pieces, it doesn't say that any brands that we throw around on this site actually use the stuff.

You should also be aware that it mentions those machines are for personal home use, so it probably doesn't reflect what real manufacturers are using. But yes Hobbs Natual> QL(except for john's ql's which are coconut still and exceptionally well made).

Ya, I use John's natural QLs. I was going to switch to cocos because I heard they last longer and don't ash as bad, but then I realized cocos aren't QL. I really am glad John made some natural QLs though, I really never liked the 3K discs that much.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Apr 11 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets not forget the chemicals that make them light. Saltpeter among them. Essentially many of the basic ingredients of Gunpowder. Breathe deep folks.

This kind of stuff should burn off pretty quickly though- just don't put a lighter to the coal and stick it straight on and start inhaling! I always give my coals a full minute and a half or two anyway to get them red hot all over.

That being said, this thread has me thinking its time to figure out how to get some natural coals going (I got flat top stove, no coils sad.gif).

I was thinking that using charcoal screens on a glass top stove might be able to safely light coals. putting the coals on the screen and the screen on the glass. I don't know how well the screen would conduct the heat but it would be worth a shot I guess.

Actually that description is saying what it will make bricks out of. Its not saying that charcoal is actually made of that. It may be, but that isn't the point of that machine. It makes rectangular do-dads out of a variety of things, including sewage sludge.

I now remember, most of the world used dried camel or cattle dung in their campfires,I wouldn't be above using that instead of charcoal. It has lots of straw in it mostly.I live on a farm village in Israel and will try it. I hate charcoal!We have donkeys,horses and lots of dogs and cats, but they would fit into the catagory of human waste so I'll try the donkey and horse and let you know. Wow, it could be the answer and save lots of money too! Maybe aromatic.

QUOTE (Vladimir @ Apr 12 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That being said, this thread has me thinking its time to figure out how to get some natural coals going (I got flat top stove, no coils sad.gif).

I bought myself one of these for $20 at my local hardware store... worth every penny and it gets natural coals red hot in just a minute or two.
Propane torch

As for the ingredients in quick-lites: that sparking and sizzling (as mentioned by someone above) is from saltpeter or Potassium Nitrate. That stuff can make you sterile by the way.