Starting Coals In A Toaster

This may sound stupid, but the other day I was thinking about how I would design the ultimate coal starter. It would heat both sides simultaneously and shut off at a set amount of time once the coals were finished. Then it occurred to me, such a product already exists! A toaster!

Now, before I go setting my toaster on fire, has anyone tried or experimented with this?

put a piece of bread on a coil burner. if you do this the toast will burn very very quickly. now put some toast in the toaster on max and compare the results. it would take alot longer for the toast to burn on a toaster then a coil burner.

in short, the toaster isnt hot enough to light a coal, and if it somehow managed to light one it would take entirely too long to light it all the way. the heat and the airflow in a toaster wouldnt be good enough for coal lighting.

now, on that note, i think im going to make me some toast

I cant see this being a good idea if I was going to use anything other than a stove/lighter I think I would try a george forman grill or something but that would prob be a epic fail also.

But... when you light a coal on a coil burner, you have to flip it at some point in order to light both sides. Sure, the toaster might not be as hot, but since it's lighting both sides simultaneously, it seems it might balance out. Not to mention the heat is contained in a closed space in a toaster as opposed to the open space around the coil. Wouldn't this too contribute to a faster heating time?

QUOTE (preddy @ Apr 9 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it really that hard to wait by the stove for five minutes and flip the coals until both sides are lit?

Dude, I'm not trying to come up with new ideas for lighting coals because the current method is too hard. Sheesh.

lol, i was just kidding. in my opinion worst case scenario is you some how break your toaster. the best case scenario is you found a harder way to light coals. why mess with something that works perfectly fine and isn't that hard?

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but unless you were going to suspend the coal somehow you might want to avoid spring that sends the toast back up after its done - last thing you want is hot coals flying through your house.

I'm not too worried about that. Since coals are much shorter than a piece of bread, even if the spring were to attempt to eject the coal, I don't think it would ever make it out.

QUOTE (ih303 @ Apr 9 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not too worried about that. Since coals are much shorter than a piece of bread, even if the spring were to attempt to eject the coal, I don't think it would ever make it out.

I would be a little worried about that coal coming out. Now if you were to take the heating elements out and make them in their own container, you may be able to get that to work...

Now, before I go setting my toaster on fire, has anyone tried or experimented with this?
[/quote]

OK how are you planning to fish the charcoal out of the toaster? NOT TONGS, right? If you have never experienced trying to dislodge toast from a toaster with a fork - like when you were 6 - I would suggest doing some research first. Start with Simpsons, season 8, episode 14 - Homer and the toaster.

QUOTE (Stuie @ Apr 9 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i am just waiting for Scalli to chime in and upload the Microwave Video again!

I would like to see this, sounds interesting lol.

I dare someone to put John's instant light CH coals in a toaster and see what happens. Those bitches flame!

Then again, the Ghost Busters put slime in a toaster and it worked out ok, so coals should be ok too.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Apr 9 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Stuie @ Apr 9 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i am just waiting for Scalli to chime in and upload the Microwave Video again!

I would like to see this, sounds interesting lol.

I dare someone to put John's instant light CH coals in a toaster and see what happens. Those bitches flame!

Then again, the Ghost Busters put slime in a toaster and it worked out ok, so coals should be ok too.

If the ghostbusters smoked hookah they would definitely use a toaster.

I can't see putting coals in a toaster ending in a good way at all, the coals would heat up the internal temps of the toaster beyond that of which it was designed for. Potentially resulting in electrical meltdown, and dire consequences.

QUOTE (maestroelite @ Apr 9 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but unless you were going to suspend the coal somehow you might want to avoid spring that sends the toast back up after its done - last thing you want is hot coals flying through your house.

I lol'ed

I was just thinking of this the other day believe it or not

In theory it should work.
I would take apart the toster and reassemble it so the coals are closer together and remove the ejector thing.
Try to design it like an oven. Can you light coals in the oven?

If you do try it, do it outside and have a fire extinguisher in hand.

I'd probably recommend not doing this since electric current flows through those wires and you'll likely be removing your coals using METAL tongs. Not sure why nobody mentioned this but you can definitely be electrocuted putting a fork inside a toaster so I'm not sure why tongs would be any different.