Human's Becoming Stupid?

I read an interesting article the other day in a local paper. It was written by someone who was ripping(not literally) of the warning labels on certain products etc.

Some of the warnings mentioned, were such as found on a chain saw " Do not attempt to stop moving chain with bare hands" and the warning on various cups used for serving hot drinks " warning: may contain hot substance".
Now is it because of the law suits, that companies are being cautions and don't want to get sued, or are is it a global scam that is slowly making the people of this world ignorant towards their own safety. OR is it just that that people are becoming stupid and can't think for themselves anymore, that companies have to put these warning labels on.

I mean if you buy a hot cup of coffee you must know that you can burn your mouth if you take a sip just like that?!
Sorry but this in all seems odd to me as people should;d have their common sense for things like this...

**By saying "people" might be becoming stupid, I don't mean to generalize and obviously realize, that not everyone is like this**

Your thoughts??

-H&S

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just companies covering their asses so that useless fools can't sue them for millions because super-glue sticks, knives are sharp, and coffee is hot. If anything, I'm thinking that it's a sign that our justice system is horribly fucked that people can get away suing over stupid things like that.

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Apr 8 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's just companies covering their asses so that useless fools can't sue them for millions because super-glue sticks, knives are sharp, and coffee is hot. If anything, I'm thinking that it's a sign that our justice system is horribly fucked that people can get away suing over stupid things like that.

Yeah, but it is just really annoying that looking at it, it seems that people are loosing their common sense (which they still have enough of to sue the said company or place 774_smiley_getting_kicked_in_the_balls.gif ), so I suppose it is then the justice system, which is actually also shocking as people should not be able to do this sort of stuff. Then again, one has to wonder where you draw the line as to if there really was supposed to be a warning or if people were just being stupid.

-H&S

I heard that in the UK in some places children can't run on the playground or play tag. I also heard that in London you can't have a potted plant over 3 feet tall on your balcony for fear it will fall and hurt somebody.

I blame modern medicine. Seriously

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Apr 8 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, ever turn on a tv or look through the magazine isle in a store? most of the labels are to stop liability or put on because someone sued over something retarded like spilling coffee on their crotch.

yup

My favourites...

"For external use only" On a curling iron.
"Remember, objects in the mirror are actually behind you." on a mirror that mounts to a bicycle helmet.

A bit on the same road...

How many times have you run across a "stick man" warning label, and had to sit there trying to figure out just what stick-man-damaging event you need to avoid?

One of my favorite labels I've seen lately was on a MRE. It said to prop the heating bag "on rock or something". It literally said something on there

its some korn song and in the video some scientist are presenting on humans getting more stupid then some chick with heathing breasts comes in and flips the chart to show it going up and shows that human are smarter because they take the wad of cash over a banana then she throws cash as people and they cheer

It is not necessarily that we are getting stupider, but rather we are losing common seance. The average person today knows more than the "Educated" person of 400 years ago. However the person from 400 years ago would probably have enough common seance to know that a cup of coffee is hot.

It's just people covering their asses. Of course we know coffee is hot and curling irons are for external use only (Although what "internal" things need curling is beyond me...but that's probably not what they mean *shudders*). Companies are tired of losing their money to desperate morons who can do nothing in life but exploit a judicial system for undeserved rewards.

The fact that these judges/juries give them anything is what annoys me. "It's coffee, it's hot, you're an idiot. GTFO."

QUOTE (erufiku @ Apr 8 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please, please... Not people in general, just North Americans and the Brits.

dont forget the sweeds with ipred, the french with the 3 strikes your out, australia with their new firewall and new zeland with their if 3 people say you are violating copyrights they disconnect you.

QUOTE (Charley @ Apr 9 2009, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is not necessarily that we are getting stupider, but rather we are losing common seance. The average person today knows more than the "Educated" person of 400 years ago. However the person from 400 years ago would probably have enough common seance to know that a cup of coffee is hot.

Yeah the thing is that maybe we are loosing our common sense, but as I stated before, we somehow have enough to still sue the company who's product inflicted our injury. People are, as some have now said , exploiting the justice system, and it should not be allowed!

-H&S

Yes, they are.....and it pisses me off to no end.

The problem is without the weight of responsibility on one's shoulders, people will stop thinking for themselves, and then they become stupid (your brain....use it or lose it).

I see this at my past job all the time.....do you really need a warning on a machine that uses microwave radiation, when you have been trained in use of it, and nobody without training can enter? (the entry badge checks your training records...no current training, access denied...even the CEO can't enter....glass window tour only).

Survival of the fittest is a sound concept....when you remove it, those that would have been weeded out remain, and guess what....the stupid (and thus more likely to fall from this) tend to reproduce more often in a subconscious attempt to preserve their lineage...the logic being one of them will make it. Well in today's world, that means all of them make it...thus our entire populace is more stupid as a result.

This leads to shit like "Is that chicken sandwich real chicken?" ....No, it's actually Human....you know Canadians are made of white meat, right? /rolleyes

The same can be said for people that can't see in the conditions they are driving in, then run over people....then they get off the hook....I say screw that, they knew they couldn't see, and continued to operate that machinery despite that....they are 100% responsible for the mishap....enjoy the bus.

Either way....just expect to see more stupid warning labels, and more stupid behavior.

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Apr 8 2009, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (erufiku @ Apr 8 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please, please... Not people in general, just North Americans and the Brits.

dont forget the sweeds with ipred, the french with the 3 strikes your out, australia with their new firewall and new zeland with their if 3 people say you are violating copyrights they disconnect you.

Well at least they know that hot coffee is obviously hot.