Is Too Much Glycerine In Shisha Bad?

I notice a lot of people saying to add 1/2 a teaspoon of glycerine to a bowl of shisha, but why only that much? Why not add it till the shisha is drippin in the stuff, then pack it in the bowl? Is too much glycerine bad? Will someone get sick from it?

QUOTE (chinamon @ Mar 27 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
more glycerin = more smoke
however....
too much glycerin = no flavour

Ah.. okay.

I put just enough glycerine in my tub of Nak cherry to get it wet, but not dripping. Seems to smoke quite nicely and has good flavor too. Using Jap canary coals, which seem to work perfectly for nak 'cause nak doesn't like getting burnt. Cocos always burn the crap outta it if not used carefully.

Edit: Holy shit, I got epic clouds going here with 3 canarys. You should see this shit. laugh.gif Edited by JDHarding

Where the hell do you find glycerine at??? I have looked at several different places and all I can find is just regular glycerine and I read on here that you are supposed to use vegetable glycerine, which I cannot find anywhere. Any help??

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Mar 27 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where the hell do you find glycerine at??? I have looked at several different places and all I can find is just regular glycerine and I read on here that you are supposed to use vegetable glycerine, which I cannot find anywhere. Any help??

apparently Michaels sells the vegetable glycerin that is used for baking.

for me to much glycerin= weakened flavor and headaches

I got a bottle of glycerine off of amazon.com.

It's NOW Vegetable Glycerine.. 100% Pure.. big 16 oz bottle of it that'll last me a long frikkin time. Does NOT taste soapy. Just put some on my finger and it actually tastes kinda sweet, which is weird. This is possibly the BEST glycerine to use.

Huh.. on the bottle it says it can be used as a sweetener in food. Cool. laugh.gif

But yeah, get THIS stuff. Don't get anything else. It's worth whatever price you pay for it. Edited by JDHarding

QUOTE (JDHarding @ Mar 27 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just put some on my finger and it actually tastes kinda sweet, which is weird.

why would that be weird? glycerin is used as a sweetener.

CODE
[u]In foods and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectant, solvent and sweetener,[/u] and may help preserve foods. It is also used as filler in commercially prepared low-fat foods (e.g., cookies), and as a thickening agent in liqueurs. Glycerol also serves as a way, along with water, to preserve certain types of leaves. [u]Glycerol is also used as a sugar substitute.[/u] In this regard, it has approximately 27 calories per teaspoon and is 60% as sweet as sucrose. Although it has about the same food energy as table sugar, it does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. As a food additive, glycerol is also known as E number E422.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Mar 27 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (chinamon @ Mar 27 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JDHarding @ Mar 27 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should see this shit.

im not in to the whole fecal thing. im chinese, not japanese. lol.

oh no he ditin't

Yeah.. poor Japanese..

Plus, I thought they were into vomitting, not shit? I think shit is German.

QUOTE (chinamon @ Mar 27 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JDHarding @ Mar 27 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah.. poor Japanese..

ive never seen german scat videos. they were all japanese people.
the japanese have always been in to weird shit. no pun intended.

Wow... this forum is beginning to sound disturbingly like /b/

QUOTE (erufiku @ Mar 27 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (chinamon @ Mar 27 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (JDHarding @ Mar 27 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah.. poor Japanese..

ive never seen german scat videos. they were all japanese people.
the japanese have always been in to weird shit. no pun intended.

Wow... this forum is beginning to sound disturbingly like /b/

Rule number 1....

When I pack a bowl, I always add three drops of glycerin. If I add 4 or more, I'll get cloud for about 5 minutes, and then it will taste like the bowl has been completely burned. It will tickle the back of my throat, too.

I do notice the shisha tasting kind of burnt while smoking, but that usually occurs when I use too much heat. Glycerine seems to make the shisha more heat sensitive. I get around this by using either 2-3 halves of cocos or 2-3 canarys. The canarys seem to heat it up just right, though when they're right off the burner they're pretty hot and I get the burnt taste then. But my Nakhlas almost require glycerine in them 'cause they're so dry. The strawberry was super dry when I got it. The cherry was a little wetter than usual, and tasted worlds better than the strawberry. Maybe it's just an old batch.

There are a couple of brands of hookah tobacco and a specific herbal brand that has too much glycerin. Clouds are excellent but I don't like the taste of cooking oil in my shisha.

Too much glycerine makes the flavor weaker, if you are an end user. Lets suppose you were a manufacturer, too much glycerine would increase the flavor flux (making the flavor die too quickly) and the excess of glycerine would make the tobacco very difficult to manage in terms of packing and heat management,

Vegetable glycerine doesn't matter. Just use glycerine. Its alomst all vegetable glycerine anyways.

I would think that glycerin would tend to take on the flavor, after sitting for a while. Since it is one of those mostly tasteles, odorless kinda ingredients...

I might not be correct, but I think that it will.

//edit that's what I get for posting before reading the whole thing, and seeing that Eric had already chimed in with his intimate knowledge. Edited by evilded777