Children And Hookah Smoking

fcbayern

Never hide anything from your kids, either it will create a mysticism about it enticing them more.... or just create trust issues.

I suggest always educating your children and never shelter them from real life because reality is never spoon-fed. The best you can do with your kids is inform them and teach them what to do in situations and hope they will heed you. A stupid kid who doesn't have a clue what life is about because their parents kept anything negative from them is bound to follow the crowd and do whatever gets them immediate satisfaction.

So informing your kids about hookah just gives them a better ability to understand the decisions they will make in the future, while you maybe give him a taste while he's older to satisfy his curiosity. (something strong to deter any future cravings)

- my thoughts =)

I think it is important to distinguish the middle ground between hiding it and smoking mid day around them. Just because you don't smoke around them isn't automatically hiding it. The idea I suggested means it isn't hidden, nor is it part of their every day lives.

QUOTE (fcbayern @ Mar 12 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I have 2 small boys (4yrs and 1yr). The other day I was smoking and my older son says "Dad I want to smoke hookah with you". I explained that it was for grown ups and that he could not smoke it. I felt kinda weird telling him that. He's mentioned things about people smokin ciggs b4 and I've always said "yuck, Smoking ciggarettes is gross".

Let me also say that everyone in our family (except myself and my wife) smokes ciggs. I have always condoned ciggarette smoking. I put hookah smoking in a different category, as I think most you would as well.

I wanted to get the oppinion of the forum on a few aspects:

#1 Is it being hypocritical to condone cigarrete smoking and still smoke hookah?
#2 How should I handle explaining to my son that "what Daddy smoke is Different from what Granpa smokes" ( or should I even bother)

#3 Should I just not smoke until the boys are sleeping (hidding it wont help IMO)

Any other comments are appreciated. Let me also say I appreciate the input of those members who have children AS WELL AS those who do not..

CHEERS

Nice topic man. Ciggs are NASTY. I have always hated them and hated the after-taste, the smell on your clothes/hands, disgusting, period. You should tell your child the causes of smoking and what can happen, the difference between a hookah and a cigg, and let him figure it out in due time. No, you shouldnt let him smoke with you at this time lol. Tell him when he turns 18 youll be waiting and youll let him smoke with you. Tell him youll take him to the hookah bar for his 18th birthday. That should drop the topic. Either in that time, he will either want to or wont want to due to his experiences in life. I smoked my first couple of cigs at 9 years old. I ended up throwing up what looked like Duriots Cool Ranch chips. Sorry for the detail. You should tell him ciggs are terrible, and give him your point of view on them, and your point of view on a hookah. At this age your child looks up to the father and mother, especially the father if its a son and not a daughter. If you have a close bond with your kid, tell him the truth. Hiding it is just showing you have something to hide, and having that sort of attitude will only give him ideas of hiding stuff when hes older. (drugs, whatever he gets into later years, etc) and not tell you about it. You dont want that, you want to have your kid tell you everything. So you gotta be open to conversation man, and be cool with it. Hookahs though are indeed for grown ups haha.

I am about to be a father and this probably won't be something I am worried about for a little while. I have smoked around my god-daughter and god-son. They just play with the smoke likes it's bubbles. Till one day my friends said their daughter went up to the hookah (not setup to smoke) and pretended to take a pull and said "Look Mommy, I'm Stuie." Seriously it was actually kinda funny. I don't smoke around them much. If we are watching them I just put them to bed then smoke.

Cause my wife is worried about second hand smoke. I am developing a hookah table project for the garage... sucks to smoke out there, but my wife and kids come first, then my vices.

As too what I am going to say about smoking too my daughter and future kids, I haven't really figured it out. But that's why I love this thread.

Several members have mentioned their upbringing in hookah-smoking families, and how they condemned smoking cigarettes, and as adults they have never smoked a cigarette.
I personally don't find it hypocritical to smoke hookah's and not cigarettes, as hookah helps promote a more relaxed lifestyle and cigarettes do not. We all have to choose our vices wink.gif

But I do think it will be detrimental to your kids development if they grow up watching you smoke a hookah outside, but not having you reinforce the negatives of cigarettes.
I think it would be important to explain to them the negatives of cigarette smoking once and awhile. And simply stating you hate cigarettes in pacing conversation while your kids are around Hookah.gif Edited by Grand Nagus Zek

QUOTE (smoke eater @ Mar 12 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The anti-tobac lobby got a foot in the door with cigs, now they are trying to equate all tobacco with disease and death, which is wrong.

Can I ask what studies you've read that say only certain kinds of tobacco smoking are life-threatening? I know (most) commercial cigarettes have lots of extra crap in them, but to say that hookah smoking can't potentially kill you? Tobacco itself contains most of the carcinogens you're bringing into your body, regardless of how you smoke it. Edited by moatilliatta

QUOTE (moatilliatta @ Apr 25 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The anti-tobac lobby got a foot in the door with cigs, now they are trying to equate all tobacco with disease and death, which is wrong.

Can I ask what studies you've read that say only certain kinds of tobacco smoking are life-threatening? I know (most) commercial cigarettes have lots of extra crap in them, but to say that hookah smoking can't potentially kill you? Tobacco itself contains most of the carcinogens you're bringing into your body, regardless of how you smoke it.

Putting things other than air in your lungs not good. But what they have done is vilified cigarettes so intesnly and then they realized all they have to do is put statistics and information out there equating everything to cigarettes. Take chew for example, one of the most common warnings has NOTHING to do with chew, but rather equates it to cigarettes saying "This product is not a safe alternative to cigarettes." Now is that actually a warning? No, instead what it is doing is playing on everyone's fears about cigarettes- founded or not. That process is wrong, its nothing more than using fear to control people.

QUOTE (Vladimir @ Apr 26 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can I ask what studies you've read that say only certain kinds of tobacco smoking are life-threatening? I know (most) commercial cigarettes have lots of extra crap in them, but to say that hookah smoking can't potentially kill you? Tobacco itself contains most of the carcinogens you're bringing into your body, regardless of how you smoke it.

Putting things other than air in your lungs not good. But what they have done is vilified cigarettes so intesnly and then they realized all they have to do is put statistics and information out there equating everything to cigarettes. Take chew for example, one of the most common warnings has NOTHING to do with chew, but rather equates it to cigarettes saying "This product is not a safe alternative to cigarettes." Now is that actually a warning? No, instead what it is doing is playing on everyone's fears about cigarettes- founded or not. That process is wrong, its nothing more than using fear to control people.

exactly, they publish a single article saying that you inhale 100 times more smoke with one hookah session than you do with one cigarette. however that study is so beyond flawed......and yet every news article cites it, instead of doing some actual research.

about smoking around children...I would, but then again i would want an open relationship with my kids. also i dont like the idea of having to hide the things i enjoy. im not a teenager anymore, and have my own house, so why should i have to hide the things i enjoy? of course they wouldnt be allowed to smoke until they were old enough, but then again who didnt have a sip of wine once when they were little? my mom let me taste her wine once, and to this day i refuse to drink wine because it tastes awful.

QUOTE (K1024 @ Apr 26 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly, they publish a single article saying that you inhale 100 times more smoke with one hookah session than you do with one cigarette. however that study is so beyond flawed......and yet every news article cites it, instead of doing some actual research.

I get what you're saying, and I know that fear is a big part of what sells in news... But you're missing my point, I'm taking issue with what I bolded above. Different ways of using tobacco can have different effects, but they all are indeed linked with disease and death. There isn't any 'safe' tobacco product.

What's the research you'd like to see them presenting? That was my original question, I'm just curious to see what studies are out there that hold scientific weight.

QUOTE (moatilliatta @ Apr 26 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get what you're saying, and I know that fear is a big part of what sells in news... But you're missing my point, I'm taking issue with what I bolded above. Different ways of using tobacco can have different effects, but they all are indeed linked with disease and death. There isn't any 'safe' tobacco product.

What's the research you'd like to see them presenting? That was my original question, I'm just curious to see what studies are out there that hold scientific weight.

heres the best 2 i have.

http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/5/1/19

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/6/2/798/

and i am in no way saying that hookah isnt bad for you....of course its bad for you...

QUOTE (K1024 @ Apr 27 2009, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (moatilliatta @ Apr 26 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heres the best 2 i have.

http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/5/1/19

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/6/2/798/

and i am in no way saying that hookah isnt bad for you....of course its bad for you...

Thanks! I assume everybody knows the risks involved, it was just that post I quoted was a little alarming.

I guess I could contribute to the thread topic and not keep derailing it, haha... If I had kids, I wouldn't smoke at home, period. I might still at bars / lounges / friends, but I wouldn't do it at home while kids lived there.

Good reading guys thanx for the linx.. I still plan to smoke ONLY outside and not in the house.. I dont want my kids taking in any smoke. at least until they are of legal age wink.gif