Does The Water Level In The Base Matter?

Does the water level in the base have an effect on the smoke? I've been traveling around in Asia (Malaysia, Singapore) and notice they put the water level up really high, maybe only 1 1/2 inches from the top of the base. It usually smoked just fine.

I was wondering this because the water level was different than what I am used to doing. Also, I really like thick smoke. Does the water level effect the density of the smoke? Recently, I've had problems with getting the smoke thick. The taste is good but the smoke isn't quite right. Is this merely because the heat? I think it may be getting too harsh too fast.

I'm using a stand big egyptian bowl with three kings quicklite coals and with a full sized hookah. I break up the coals in halves and usually use three halves to start it up. Should I only use two halves?

Thanks for any help!

If you don't have enough water it will defiantly effect the thickness of your smoke, i know people say about an inch and half over, but i ussualy do like 2 inches. I try and put as much water as i can get in there, and what i do is i put the stem on there and take a drag from it w/o the hose being on it to see if any water comes up. As long as water does not get in your mouth your set.

hmmm... I used to reduce the air space in the vase a lot; but since coming here I have gone over to the "1-1/12 inch over the end of the stem" way. I changed so much about how I set-up, and learned about heat management, so its hard for me to say what has really effected my smoke the most.

But I do like the draw with only that much of the stem submerged.

Check this:

The temperature of any gas is inversely related to its volume. This means when gases get bigger, they get cooler. This is why longer stems and hoses and bigger bases give cooler smoke, more room to expand to. However, water still plays a role in cooling the smoke both directly and indirectly. The more water, the more resitance to your pull, this means you work harder and accelerate the air more, the faster moving air expands quicker and cools more effectively. This means you should strive for a balance, too much water and the effective expansion area in the base is comprimised. Too little and you risk slowing down the air flow, and miss out on slightly better filtration.

I have a QT and always fill the base with water to about 1/2" above the bottom of the stem. I get good smoke but it can always be better. Does anyone have any further information on this?