Anime Movies

joytron

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Mar 8 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking of frustrating anime endings, I'm suprised we all forgot Evangelion...

Most frustrating ending ever!

I bought the last of the Fullmetal Alchemist box set for like 5 bucks but I'm frustrated because I want the majority of the season which comes before it and wont pay full price lol. The double edged sword that is Gamestop's DVD section. Great place to buy used anime btw...

And IV are you talking the Fullmetal movie or the Bebop movie? The Fullmetal movie was pretty awesome. And I own the Bebop movie, so I guess that's pretty good too smile.gif

Everyone keeps saying that Last Exile is SO amazing but I couldn't make it past the 3rd episode...maybe it picks up at some point?

I was talking about the FMA movie.....And I do admit that the first 3-4 episodes of Last exile are dull. But it seriously picks up after that. After they get that letter to the Duke's ship it really picks up.

QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Mar 8 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked it. Especially the End of Evangelion (full ending). It actually made perfect sense after I watched it a few times. Not for the faint of heart though (that'd apply to NGE in general).

By the way there are 4 new movies being released, as well as a live action. So stay tuned for an alternate ending... I know I'll avoid the live action like a plague, mainly cause it'll be done from top to bottom by Westerners, so expect multi-million dollar explosions, nudity, and the US saving the world (of course).
On the other hand, I would go see it if Keanu Reeves played Shinji. I mean that would be like looking at a really bad accident: you just can't look away no matter how grotesque it it.

oh yah i totally forgot outlaw star!! that one is really fun too. and I didn't even think to mention cowboy bebop bc mostly everyone I know (people who dont watch any other anime at all) have seen and liked it.

actually, I just thought of 2 other movies, sort of. they are not anime per se (well, not "anime" at all to be technical), but they made a 2 part live action deathnote movie (the english voice actors that do the show also do the movie). they are not too bad, except i hate the fact that they made Rem a dude instead of a girl. I miss her "Light Yagammmmmi....!" and they also changed parts of the story so they could fit it all into 2 movies. its nowhere near as good as the show, but still fun to watch!

oh and while we are on the subject, how come anime snobs hate english voice dubs so much? i dont speak japanese, so hearing it in english is much better, to me anyways. i feel like i'm sacrificing watching the awesome artwork and animation to read the damn subtitles!!! wacko.gif

QUOTE (erufiku @ Mar 9 2009, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Mar 8 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked it. Especially the End of Evangelion (full ending). It actually made perfect sense after I watched it a few times. Not for the faint of heart though (that'd apply to NGE in general).

By the way there are 4 new movies being released, as well as a live action. So stay tuned for an alternate ending... I know I'll avoid the live action like a plague, mainly cause it'll be done from top to bottom by Westerners, so expect multi-million dollar explosions, nudity, and the US saving the world (of course).
On the other hand, I would go see it if Keanu Reeves played Shinji. I mean that would be like looking at a really bad accident: you just can't look away no matter how grotesque it it.

It's not that I didn't like it, it was just frustrating. Very much not in tune with the overall pace and balance of the series imo. It's like all the psychological elements were pushed to the forefront and the rest was left to the dogs and it would have been nice to have some of the more tangible (or percievably so) elements of the series wrapped up tighter.

Live Evangelion movie? Yeah, I'm one of those Rei Ayanami freaks who would pay just to see a hot live action version of her get nekkid, scorn me if you will.

But I'm sure a westernization would fuck the whole idea of the series up.

And yeah on the Last Exile, great to know I stopped watching just when it apparently picks up rolleyes.gif

Link to Weta Workshop's Concept art for the live Evangelion movie(s), released a couple years ago.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=1901

Apparently the owners of the property are still raising moneys to make the film but it's similar to LOTR in that it isn't being done for the money but to be done right and do the property justice. YAY! They're looking at making it a trilogy so as not to loose content cramming it into a single film. DOUBLE YAY!

But nobody knows when the fuck it's slated for production...

Anyway, the Eva's look badass and I hope hope hope they use a similar outfit to the ones pictured for the ladies mellow.gif

QUOTE (Synesthesia @ Mar 9 2009, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh and while we are on the subject, how come anime snobs hate english voice dubs so much? i dont speak japanese, so hearing it in english is much better, to me anyways. i feel like i'm sacrificing watching the awesome artwork and animation to read the damn subtitles!!! wacko.gif

i enjoy all my series in english, except for a few.

i think it just depends on how you watched it first, we accidently dl'ed full metal in japanese, and watched a few episodes like that. after watching it in jap, the english voices just sounded wierd and off.

I generally can't stand English dubs just because they... kinda don't fit in there. I don't speak Japanese it's just that I've never really come across a good dub. For reference: DBZ.

Oh and I got another kickass series btw. It's a mecha-series but still good. It's called Code Geass: Lelouch of the rebellion (Hangyaku no Lelouch). You'll find it here: www.boxtorrents.com. They have most anime fansub torrents, except for the licenced ones like DBZ etc. Anyways I strongly reccomend watching Code Geass. I still don't like mecha-series, but that show is pure awesome.

Princess Mononoke is definately one of my favorites. You should watch Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki movies - like My Neighbor Totoro, or Spirited Away (preferably English subtitled, none of that Disney crap). Record of Lodoss War is a classic, so is the Slayers series. Uhm, there's Rurouni Kenshin if you haven't seen that. Mushishi was very interesting. A lot of CLAMP stuff is fantasy-ish (like Magic Knight Rayearth), but that depends on if you like shoujo or not. Ah! (or Oh!) My Goddess is a good too.

Mushishi was good yeah, beautiful artwork. And kind of refreshing that it was so episodical. Too short however tho. Anyone seen Porco Rosso? Haven't gotten around to it yet you see. Any thoughts on it?

QUOTE (Ebzen @ Mar 10 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and I got another kickass series btw. It's a giant ninja robot-series but still good. It's called Code Geass: Lelouch of the rebellion (Hangyaku no Lelouch). You'll find it here: www.boxtorrents.com. They have most anime fansub torrents, except for the licenced ones like DBZ etc. Anyways I strongly reccomend watching Code Geass. I still don't like giant ninja robot-series, but that show is pure awesome.

This is how it reads to me and I sir, am offended mellow.gif

smile.gif

QUOTE (Ebzen @ Mar 10 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone seen Porco Rosso? Haven't gotten around to it yet you see. Any thoughts on it?

I remember liking it my high school Japanese class, but then again I liked anything Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki. We watched all of them :3 My Neighbor Totoro is the one with the cat bus right?

QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Mar 10 2009, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ebzen @ Mar 10 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and I got another kickass series btw. It's a giant ninja robot-series but still good. It's called Code Geass: Lelouch of the rebellion (Hangyaku no Lelouch). You'll find it here: www.boxtorrents.com. They have most anime fansub torrents, except for the licenced ones like DBZ etc. Anyways I strongly reccomend watching Code Geass. I still don't like giant ninja robot-series, but that show is pure awesome.

This is how it reads to me and I sir, am offended mellow.gif

smile.gif

Oh my damn watch it.....so much suspense.

QUOTE (StrawberryNerd @ Mar 11 2009, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ebzen @ Mar 10 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone seen Porco Rosso? Haven't gotten around to it yet you see. Any thoughts on it?

I remember liking it my high school Japanese class, but then again I liked anything Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki. We watched all of them :3 My Neighbor Totoro is the one with the cat bus right?

yes and yes smile.gif

OK I find it absolutely blasphemous that nobody has mentioned Ninja Scroll yet!

Ninja Scroll is well, it is what it is. I love it but I think it's more like the upper echelon of lower quality anime flicks as opposed to others that have been mentioned.

The electric string guy always tripped me out though.

QUOTE (giant ninja robot @ Mar 12 2009, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ninja Scroll is well, it is what it is. I love it but I think it's more like the upper echelon of lower quality anime flicks as opposed to others that have been mentioned.

The electric string guy always tripped me out though.

lol, my boyfriend tried to get me to watch ninja scroll like right when i was just starting to watch anime (i think after i watched slayers, and that was the only anime i had really been exposed to). i made him turn it off. i think because of some boobs or something. i was like "ew! im not watching anime boobs! gross!" hahahahah

perhaps ill give it another look now that ive seen like 8 hundred million anime series (and some anime boobs along the way)

• 1 month later...
Hands down best anime ever is Wolf's Rain, which is a BONES STUDIO one as well (same as Bebop). Desert Punk and Scrapped Princess (DP is Funimation, Scrapped Princess is BONES) are both good excellent series not frequently mentioned. Desert Punk is a dirty hilarious one, Scrapped Princess has a really good story (not the most entertaining one out there, but after the series you just think "wow"- save for a few episodes toward the end that are like a speed bump in the excellence).

Some other good ones that may or may not have been mentioned include Ghost in the Shell seasons 1 and 2, Samurai 7, I really enjoy and own Steamboy (movie) and Afro Samurai is pretty good as well. Tide Line Blue is entertaining but limited (but only 13 episodes so not much to lose). Nausica is a great one that was mentioned, not the biggest fan of Akira but it was also one of the first I saw.

On the other hand I haven't really seen much anime I didn't like, I am a sucker for a good story and most anime- even if stupid- has a good/deep/enthralling storyline. I am not a Gundam fan, and there was some movie called "Land Before Time" or something to that effect (yes sounded like the dinosaur one) that was just stupid. Karas was dumb too but only saw half of it.

QUOTE (Synesthesia @ Mar 7 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I havent seen THAT many anime movies, but the ones that I really liked were Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Perfect Blue, and Howl's Moving Castle (and any other movies I've seen are mostly accompanied by a full series). However, I've watched loads of anime SERIES, and one I absolutely love and don't see mentioned much is Ergo Proxy - I highly reccommend. Also, Moonphase, xxxHolic, Deathnote, Trigun, Shakugen no Shana, Black Blood Brothers, Fruits Basket, Elfen Lied, Blood+, Basilisk (and loads more but I can't think right now). Those are all shorter animes, but if you have some time, The Slayers and Kyo Karah Maoh are two awesome (but looong) animes. Yah, I'm an anime nerd lol.....
(I'm watching Fullmetal Alchemist now smile.gif )

Oh my god, Perfect blue was CRAZY and awesome, but mostly just CRAZY

One of my old favorites as far as series go is Slayers, it's a comical fantasy series with serious moments. The first series had some pretty low-budget animation, but Slayers Next really upped the quality. Next also has one of the best endings I've ever seen for a series, hands down. Slayers Try was just kind of "meh", and the animation took a downturn, but it's not bad. The new Slayers series (Revolution and Evolution-R) pick up where they left off and reference a lot of the old stuff; they're really just fanservice for people who liked the old stuff 10 years ago.

The novels (yes, novels - it was based on a series of books) are pretty good too, but it's effectively a different continuity. The TV series use a lot of the plot threads from the novels but go in very different directions.

Basically start with the concept of several 20th level characters blowing crap up. They start out huge at the beginning and stay that way.

English dubs as of the past few years have gotten really good, but I still prefer Slayers in Japanese as that's how I first heard it. I tend to watch a decent amount of recent stuff dubbed, though. My cousin is actually a voice actor in LA, but he hasn't really got much but bit parts in dubs, he prefers doing western animation and video games. If you've played Warriors Orochi or Dynasty Warriors 6, he's Guan Yu; if you're familiar with the webcomic Looking for Group he's Richard in the animated stuff they've put out.

Anything Miyazaki
Howls Moving castle,Spirited away, Mononoke, Totoro, Castle in the sky, nausicca,

Akira and Steam boy

Spriggan

Series:
Evangelion( even though it was frustrating it was kick ass)
Escaflowne
Lain
Disgaea
Gasaraki
Excel saga
FLCL Edited by ZAGO

QUOTE (K1024 @ Mar 8 2009, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Synesthesia @ Mar 7 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (K1024 @ Mar 8 2009, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah fuck how could i forget full metal? that show is awesome.

I'm really liking it quite alot! I'd always catch bits and pieces on Adult Swim and decided to finally watch it from the beginning. Al is soooooo cute!!!!!!!

its one of the few that i really really want them to make more...and i think they are, though i dont know that it will stick to the original plot.

i want more bebop, but i also think its about perfect where it is.

I have all 51 episodes on my comp in the original Japanese.
and I do believe funimation bought the production rights to it (like they do to all good anime then turn it into kidified cartoons.)

Funimation isn't nearly as bad as they used to be about that. It could be much worse - look what 4Kids did with One Piece. I don't care for One Piece myself, but they really boned that series with their edits.