Anime Movies

joytron

Just watched Princess Mononoke a few nights ago (per GNRs advice), and was blown away?

any other good anime i should look into. More fantasy/ancient type stories like Journey to the West. Gundam Wing and waht not never really apealed to me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of series, except for Hellsing (regular, not OVA version). As far as full feature movie go, I recommend Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Nausicaa, Cowboy Bebob, Spirited Away Paprika, Ghost in The Shell.

Akira is the greatest anime movie of all time, watch any and everything by Miyazaki. and by Journey to the West do you mean the Dragonball Franchise? I've never heard anyone call them Journey to the West before, but I do know that they were based off of that ancient text. Just wondering if there is some other anime that more closely follows the actual text.

yeah i have also seen spirited away and loved that one too, thats more the type of movie i am looking for. By Journey to The West, I mean the ancient buddhist story of the monkey that travels to retrieve the sacred texts.

some good recs. i will have to put one Netflix

Glad you liked it Joy smile.gif

QUOTE (MeHT @ Mar 7 2009, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not a fan of series, except for Hellsing (regular, not OVA version). As far as full feature movie go, I recommend Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Nausicaa, Cowboy Bebob, Spirited Away Paprika, Ghost in The Shell.

Naussica of the Valley of Wind is awesome (early Miyazaki), Cowboy Bebop is great and my fav series is Samurai Champloo which is by the Bebop guys. Paprika tripped me the hell out. Ghost in the Shell wasn't as goopd as I hoped it would be. Vampire Hunter D was pretty sweet too but def action oriented and not super imaginative.

QUOTE (Hobbs @ Mar 7 2009, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't watch a ton of Anime but I enjoyed Afro Samurai, there's a pretty good movie out now as well as the series.

I'm tellin ya dude, check out Samurai Champloo, Afro is good too but if you like hip hop Samurai stuff def check out the Champloo.

QUOTE (Hojo @ Mar 7 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My experiences are limited, but I really liked the movie Akira. Also, as far as TV anime goes, you can't go wrong with Cowboy Bebop.

The first movie to be directed by the Akira dude since that came out a few years ago and was called Steamboy, a worthy pick. Very different, very European for an Anime.

QUOTE (An1m @ Mar 7 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Akira is the greatest anime movie of all time

Disagree rolleyes.gif , great but not the best. And before you ask I can't pick a favorite for an example...but Princess Mononoke comes to mind. Too many genres to choose a BEST imo.

It's been so long since I've regularly watched any good anime flicks I'll have to look at a database to jog my memory or something for more suggestions.

watching the cowboy bebop movie again because of this thread.

cowboy bebop is probably my favorite series overall, though not my favorite movie. My favorite move is macross plus, something i suggest for everyone.

a couple other good animes: witch hunter robin, jin roh, akira

myasakis stuff is good, but not amazing.

I havent seen THAT many anime movies, but the ones that I really liked were Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Perfect Blue, and Howl's Moving Castle (and any other movies I've seen are mostly accompanied by a full series). However, I've watched loads of anime SERIES, and one I absolutely love and don't see mentioned much is Ergo Proxy - I highly reccommend. Also, Moonphase, xxxHolic, Deathnote, Trigun, Shakugen no Shana, Black Blood Brothers, Fruits Basket, Elfen Lied, Blood+, Basilisk (and loads more but I can't think right now). Those are all shorter animes, but if you have some time, The Slayers and Kyo Karah Maoh are two awesome (but looong) animes. Yah, I'm an anime nerd lol.....
(I'm watching Fullmetal Alchemist now smile.gif )

QUOTE (K1024 @ Mar 8 2009, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah fuck how could i forget full metal? that show is awesome.

I'm really liking it quite alot! I'd always catch bits and pieces on Adult Swim and decided to finally watch it from the beginning. Al is soooooo cute!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Synesthesia @ Mar 7 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm really liking it quite alot! I'd always catch bits and pieces on Adult Swim and decided to finally watch it from the beginning. Al is soooooo cute!!!!!!!

its one of the few that i really really want them to make more...and i think they are, though i dont know that it will stick to the original plot.

i want more bebop, but i also think its about perfect where it is.

trigun is another thats really good, as well as outlaw star

trigun is kinda like old west movies...but differenty. its got a good story and good characters...

outlaw star is probably not for you (futury space combat) but i thought i would mention it, probably my #2 series after bebop.

QUOTE (K1024 @ Mar 8 2009, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Synesthesia @ Mar 7 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its one of the few that i really really want them to make more...and i think they are, though i dont know that it will stick to the original plot.

i want more bebop, but i also think its about perfect where it is.

Have you seen the movie to it?

Adding my 2 cents here. Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid is prolly one of the funniest series I have ever watched. Also a series called Yakitate Japan is incredibly good. The story is basically about this little kid who wants to be the inventor of "the Japanese bread", and enters bread baking competitions etc. Yeeeah it does sound a bit off, but that's one hell of a show. Also, the ending theme for the 2nd season is one of the catchiest tunes ever made.

Trying to come up with more movies, but only really watch series so. tongue.gif If you liked Princess Monoke then maybe Samurai Deeper Kyo? Or then Samurai Champloo is a damn good series. Now, if they could only make a proper anime out of the Lone Wolf and Cub series...

Oh yes one more thing: Stay the hell away from a show called Berserk. Yes, it's good, but the anime cuts the story short and the ending will have you either crying or ripping apart furniture out of sheer frustration.

Speaking of frustrating anime endings, I'm suprised we all forgot Evangelion...

Most frustrating ending ever!

I bought the last of the Fullmetal Alchemist box set for like 5 bucks but I'm frustrated because I want the majority of the season which comes before it and wont pay full price lol. The double edged sword that is Gamestop's DVD section. Great place to buy used anime btw...

And IV are you talking the Fullmetal movie or the Bebop movie? The Fullmetal movie was pretty awesome. And I own the Bebop movie, so I guess that's pretty good too smile.gif

Everyone keeps saying that Last Exile is SO amazing but I couldn't make it past the 3rd episode...maybe it picks up at some point?

Evangelion ending -> some of the weirdest stuff ever. Has anybody heard something about the Evangelion remake they were planning to make? When it comes to movies, I liked Ghost in the Shell a lot, don't know if I can't call it my favorite. As to anime series, there are too many to mention :x. No seems to mention older series though, like Rurouni Kenshin, Sailormoon (yeah, I know it's incredibly weird for a guy to like it) and Ranma 1/2 (maybe I'm the only anime nerd around xD).