Does Anyone Get Sick From Shisha?

Lately I've been getting sick at different times of the day, different days of the week and honestly I can't figure out if it's something I'm eating, something I'm around or possibly....something I am smoking?!
So just curious, does anyone gets sick (like nauseous) from smoking a certain brand or flavor of shisha?
I know I don't have any allergies. I've also tried a variety of flavors (for So.Dak. at least) from a previous job at a hookah lounge. I must admit though I was limited to Layalina and Starbuzz shisha, and none of those have bothered me at all.

Just throwing it out there.
I'm tired of being sick, maybe this will help.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (clumsygrace @ Mar 2 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sometimes get a little queasy when smoking. I haven't been able to figure out what makes it happen though. I'd like to find out so I can avoid it.

Yeah. It can't be a 'head rush' from smoking too fast either. My boyfriend smokes with me and he usually smokes 4x faster than I do. I usually get a pull here and there.

I got really sick once... but I think it was a combination of a few factors (didn't get enough sleep, ate junk food that day, didn't exercise for a few days).
I always air the room I'll be smoking in before I actually smoke, even if it's -30*c outside. Also, I end up drinking about 2-4cups of water during a 40 minute session. Eat something with complex carbs about 30-60min before smoking... I find that it's kinda gross if you're stuffed and smoke.

nope..i've had a couple of bad buzzes, but not sick as in the flu or something. nakhla gave me a terrible buzz and pretty much had my lying on my couch for a few hours.

From what I've gathered from a few classes I had to take once (don't ask) cigarette smoking affects women more than men.. therefore it's plausible to think that nicotine from the shisha could be affecting your more potently.

Anyhow, I can't say I get sick.. I get a couple headaches now and then. I only got sick 1 time off of my 1st Tangiers and I got hella sick... trying to forget that event really.

QUOTE (erufiku @ Mar 2 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got really sick once... but I think it was a combination of a few factors (didn't get enough sleep, ate junk food that day, didn't exercise for a few days).
I always air the room I'll be smoking in before I actually smoke, even if it's -30*c outside. Also, I end up drinking about 2-4cups of water during a 40 minute session. Eat something with complex carbs about 30-60min before smoking... I find that it's kinda gross if you're stuffed and smoke.

Thanx! I'll be sure to try that!

If it is indeed the hookah that's doing it I find that the best way to avoid the queezy feelings you can get from smoking is to eat fresh fruit while you're smoking. Also kinda lends to the experience as a whole, flavor mixing n'at.

QUOTE (AKammenzind @ Mar 3 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is indeed the hookah that's doing it I find that the best way to avoid the queezy feelings you can get from smoking is to eat fresh fruit while you're smoking. Also kinda lends to the experience as a whole, flavor mixing n'at.

Ah! This thought actually scares me. The first time I ended up getting really sick my bf and I were eating fresh pineapple with our shisha. I got SUPER sick that time.

just got sick for the first time last night while smoking AF Grape. the fact that I was drunk could have played a role in this, but my friend was sober and he said he felt bad too. It was weird.

I find that staying fully hydrated is key to avoiding unpleasantness during sessions. When I'm dehydrated, I tend to feel a bit nauseous when I smoke.

Of course, it could simply be due to the fact that your boyfriend is so much sweeter than you! wink.gif

QUOTE (echotc @ Mar 3 2009, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just got sick for the first time last night while smoking AF Grape. the fact that I was drunk could have played a role in this, but my friend was sober and he said he felt bad too. It was weird.

yep from dehydration or an empty stomach, that is assuming you fully light your coals everytime.

which is why you got sick echotc, if you drink booze you will get dehydrated, then you smoke and it gets you sick.

my GF used to get queasy and sick feeling from smoking, I'm sure it's the nicotine, she does alright on washed tobacco's, try the washed tobacco's and see if you still get sick. I'm really looking forward to Scalli's herbal shisha, it'd be great to be able to smoke with my GF =). Some people have allergic reactions to Nicotine, you may be one of them, so try the washed and let us know how that goes. You can find a list of washed and unwashed somewhere on here, I know there was a post where many are listed.

-Z

1) Smoke on a full (non-empty at least) stomach.

2) Drink a glass of water before, during, and after smoking.

3) If you can, eat while smoking.

4) Avoid caffeine.

5) Let the coals fully burn and get red before smoking.

6) Use less water in the base, this makes it easier to pull.'

7) I find that my body reacts better to cold smoke, so add ice to the base and cool the stem.

Try that, lemme know.

Last week, I was playing cards with a couple of friends, and we had my narguilé burning the whole time, some 4 hours or something. We smoked Banana, Apple and Mint, all Nakhla. There was almost always one of us (four) puffing. In the end, I got somewhat sick and had to take a friend of mine home that got really sick somehow. The other two ones smoke cigarettes - they didn't feel anything. I'm also somewhat used to smoking shisha. This was probably our longest session, and quite intense on the smoking (it was cold). I kept wondering if it wasn't something like a nicotine excess of some sort.

Well, for one thing I'm know for a FACT I'm not prego. It just can't happen.
It also cannot be the nicotine, I used to be a cigarette smoker for about 4 years or so and recently gave that up. I know (or people have said) that when smoking shisha you actually get more nicotine than a pack of cigarettes, I'm skeptical on that and doubt it but who knows.

And I don't think my boyfriend is THAT sweet!

Oh and I've tried the washed shishas, I haven't really noticed anything much though. :/ Edited by ihcake

Well the other week me and. My gf only had a 250g thing of AF mint and so over about 3 days we smoke that and the last few bowls just made us feel like we wanted to throw up. Haven't really been able to smoke Mint since and it was one of my favorite flavors.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been smoking shisha for the past 5 years and have never had a problem until I smoked Layalina Peach. It makes me ungodly sick. It gives me the worst buzz ever which is followed by me throwing up everything in my stomach sad.gif Not fun. I know now that Layalina brand does not mix well with me. Everything else I have smoked though has been just fine. smile.gif

Only time I get sick from it is when I take too much too quickly, it really really makes my head pound and its weird because it is not made better by paracetamol or anything.