Glass Hookah Stem

hey everyone, just an update, im working hard on working all the kinks out of the prodotype. I attempted to make 3 new stems today and lost them all. No a big deal, i learned a lot of little tricks that should make it easier in the future. I'm working very hard to get these out to you guys as fast as possible, i still have to make sure they are 100% before i can sell any. I'll post pictures of new ones as soon as i get them out.

color isn't going to happen right away, but silver fume is possible. i also do have some size limitations, on how big i can make these. I have size problems with the actual tool i use to make them, and in the kiln which is needed to cool the piece down and remove all the stress properly. I cant say a exact size of how big i can make them off the top of my head, probally somewhere around a bit under 2 feet for the stem, and heart of the hookah, and the downstem can be fit to any length chosen.

thanks for all the interest and please feel free to email or send me a private message

thanks jake

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Feb 22 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Jake I may be able to help you with tooling. Lemme see a pic or drawing or ? and some specs. I'd be glad to help you out.

Scalli is behind most break throughs in the hookah world these days so deff listen to him.
this looks so sick. you are so lucky you found this forum because you just found your self a market of hundreds of hookah lovers who will spend like crazy on their hookahs. :-) and were lucky to have you here.

whenever you get a working product down i would LOVE one of these! that is absolutely gorgeous and i would be proud to own a handmade glass hookah. So hit me up when they are finished, and i'll keep an eye on this thread

QUOTE (poncho @ Feb 23 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tooling how so? send me a pm, please. Im working up some drawings.

QUOTE (Scalliwag @ Feb 23 2009, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Jake I may be able to help you with tooling. Lemme see a pic or drawing or ? and some specs. I'd be glad to help you out.

Sorry Ponch I did not check back on the thread. Morbid curiousity made me check back and see where you were at on this.
As far as tooling I don't know much about the tools of your trade but a lot of times if there is something for shaping or to make a hole size and you send me a description and some specs I may be able to knock it out. I'm very envious of glassblowers skills but not enough to attempt to learn the trade.
The only idea I can think of that would help out here is that instead of using a solid stopper in the hole for a clearing valve you could use a clear silicone stopper with a hole in it and a clear plastic check valve pushed into it.
That way it would function like we're used to but blend in better with the glass. Kinda stealthy if you look at the attached pics.
Unfortunately I am extremely limited in my knowledge of glassblowing and zero first hand knowledge. You don't appear to need any help in that department though. I'm willing to help you with what I can though. I think you will be a helluva asset to the community and I want to see you succeed. I know everybody was talking about you at Hookahstock and everybody wants one of your stems that was there.

scalli - thanks for all your kind words, i might take you up on some of that stuff you were talking about, seems interesting, and i'm sure willing to make one specific to some of your fittings, just to play around with..

update: -- so things are coming along with these, i have rethought them a little bit in terms of cleaning and functionality, and either this week or early next week i'll be able to make this second prodotype. I'm going to make it super easy to clean, ship, and pack. I'm really excited about this new idea, i think you all will be. I'm going to ulitilize scientific glass ground fittings, for some essential seams that are a real pain to do. So thats good news. I'm currently finishing my midterm projects up (art school) so once i get these done i have a week off, i hope to have one before this Friday tested, and photos up so everyone can see.

thanks

jake

i can make it any day, i just need the measurement of the diameter of your downstem, MM would be best, i have a big Mya, so that dowstem seems to be standard for the Mya's, so i know that size, and i know the really small cheat asian sizes, but if theres another size i need it, then i can get it down and shipped out probally in one day.

QUOTE (Nikon1323 @ Mar 2 2009, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice man sounds tight....is there any update on the glass diffusers? no biggie just wonderen

Beautiful and exciting man,

No Joke, just the other day I was contemplating finding a glass artist and seeing if he or she could make a fully glass hookah, and now look who pops into the forum :-D
I am very interested in the whole sha-bang, base, stem, pan, bowl etc. Will you be providing the correct size grommets for it as well? Anyways looks amazing and I really like the idea of the built in diffuser, awesome idea. Good luck in finishing your proto-type number 2. Cya

-Evo

Wow that would be amazing to own. I want one really bad. I don't know much about glass blowing but would it be possible to do a marbelized-type color thing? Also, if we were to get just a stem, could you give us any estimate of a price? I'd like to know roughly how much money to start saving up. Just for a basic, all clear glass, stem, standard size (whatever that means, lol...just what you have pictured) Let us know! We're anticipating!

will_evo - i will keep you updated as to when i get these into production, i didn't think about providing the grommets, i'll take that into consideration, i'm making them so your standard sized accessories will fit on them (ie. hoses, gromments, bowl, bases, tray)
that way you dont have to buy all new parts just to smoke this hookah. yea the diffuser is key, makes the smoke so much thicker

FSU -- I cant talk prices until i go into production of them, i want to have some stock before i sell any that way i will keep the quality and the price equal, and yes i think it could have a marbelized coloring pattern

narguilezerio -- the glass i'm using for these starts off as a tube with a 4.8MM (about 1/4 of an inch) thick wall to it. The glass is resistance to physical shock, and shock from heat. It is the same glass that glass pipes are made of( i've heard stories of cops trying to break glass pipes on the ground and then the pipe just bounces off the concrete and doenst break). It is also the same glass that is used in labatory applications for chemical proccess and constant heating and cooling down. The glass is called borosilicate, if you want to do some more research on it, its pretty cool stuff, so no i dont think you have to worry about it breaking on you

I'm assuming this is done on a lathe right? Are you using 38 mil? I can't tell from the picture.

Very nice work, I really like this concept.

Some simple diffuser holes would be great too. Much better than removing the plastic ones to clean them.

Awesome. I was going to suggest a similar thing as scalliwag did, for the purge valve. Maybe a glass piece that fits in with a grommet and a small ball bearing or bb sealed inside.

Also, would there be any way to make the down stem detachable and interchangeable? Methinks that it would be very useful to replace the downstem in the event of an accident. My girlfriend does glass blowing and from what I know about it, would it be possible to just use a borisilicate rod of some standard size as the downstem, and make it detachable, that way they could just be switched out if broken.

Edit: I'd definitely buy one if you could make that happen Edited by An1m

already in the works, this next prodotype will have a detachable dowstem. The next prodo type which i hope to finish this week, is going to be a 3 part hookah, the stem, the heart, and the downstem will all be detachable, and come apart so for easy cleaning. its going to be sweet, i hope to get it to it by the end of this week

QUOTE (An1m @ Mar 2 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome. I was going to suggest a similar thing as scalliwag did, for the purge valve. Maybe a glass piece that fits in with a grommet and a small ball bearing or bb sealed inside.

Also, would there be any way to make the down stem detachable and interchangeable? Methinks that it would be very useful to replace the downstem in the event of an accident. My girlfriend does glass blowing and from what I know about it, would it be possible to just use a borisilicate rod of some standard size as the downstem, and make it detachable, that way they could just be switched out if broken.

Edit: I'd definitely buy one if you could make that happen

I've set aside $100 for anything going to this cause. I'd absolutely love a royal blue base with a marbelized red/clear stem, it'll be my patriotic hookah, since I already have one that's space age (stargate), one in lebanese colors, syrian colors, ireland, and spain...an american one would complete my set :-D....for now. I'm so excited. I'll be contacting you soon for an attachable glass diffuser once I can get my measurements. Good work man, I think you've struck it big!