Zomg How Do I Poke Holes In The Foil?

As far as patterns perhaps.

But I find the size of the holes depending on the shisha is important.  You wouldn't do push pin size holes with Tangiers that works well with Starbuzz, Fusion, etc.

I was gonna flame you but actually you're right about the pattern... I really don't see any difference as long as they're uniformly spread. That being said the size of the holes does matter.

QUOTE (click @ Feb 19 2009, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as patterns perhaps.

But I find the size of the holes depending on the shisha is important. You wouldn't do push pin size holes with Tangiers that works well with Starbuzz, Fusion, etc.

I actually believe mush uses small small holes with his Tangiers.

Goes to show you any way can work for any given person.

In all seriousness though, when talking about heat management there are so many factors to consider... the bowl type/size, the number of holes, size of holes, number/style/brand of coals, etc. If you can keep any one of those variables stables, in this case the hole pattern, it's a good starting point for beginners to work from. But by no means are they set rules that everyone has to stick by.

actually for me it does matter.

when i am packing a bowl of tangiers i have this little cup thing i use that has the exact amount.
i scoop up just the right amount and turn it over onto some foil.
then i arrange the pieces of tobacco in order from thickest to thinnest (if you know what tangiers looks like you'll kinda understand)
by this i mean the stem like pieces are the thickest. then the wider leafy cut, then the thinner leafy cut.
length does not matter too much, if there are really long pieces i cut them down.
Then when i have them all in order i begin to place them in the bowl.
the thinner pieces go towards the center of the phunnel and then gradually get thicker as you go out.

my reasoning behind this is because the thicker pieces will not cook as fast as the thin ones and i put my coals towards the outer edge of the bowl.

now, if i just stabbed holes all over the thinner pieces could get too much heat to them and burn (not good).
I make 2 rings 1/8th of an inch apart around the outside edge, the first being as close to the edge as possible, with a toothpick.
then 1/8th of an inch inside the second toothpick ring i make another ring with a pushpin or safety pin.
then i come in 1/4 of an inch and make another ring of pin holes.
then the last ring is another 1/4 of an inch in.
all the holes are about 1/8th of an inch apart.

now you all know how crazy i am....

This is intense!

QUOTE (EternalSoil @ Feb 19 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually for me it does matter.

when i am packing a bowl of tangiers i have this little cup thing i use that has the exact amount.
i scoop up just the right amount and turn it over onto some foil.
then i arrange the pieces of tobacco in order from thickest to thinnest (if you know what tangiers looks like you'll kinda understand)
by this i mean the stem like pieces are the thickest. then the wider leafy cut, then the thinner leafy cut.
length does not matter too much, if there are really long pieces i cut them down.
Then when i have them all in order i begin to place them in the bowl.
the thinner pieces go towards the center of the phunnel and then gradually get thicker as you go out.

my reasoning behind this is because the thicker pieces will not cook as fast as the thin ones and i put my coals towards the outer edge of the bowl.

now, if i just stabbed holes all over the thinner pieces could get too much heat to them and burn (not good).
I make 2 rings 1/8th of an inch apart around the outside edge, the first being as close to the edge as possible, with a toothpick.
then 1/8th of an inch inside the second toothpick ring i make another ring with a pushpin or safety pin.
then i come in 1/4 of an inch and make another ring of pin holes.
then the last ring is another 1/4 of an inch in.
all the holes are about 1/8th of an inch apart.

now you all know how crazy i am....

i'm always experimenting with different hole patterns and it seems as though paying attn to a certain pattern has become a ritual when i set up, however when i go to other family members houses i see them stab huge holes in randomly with those thick pokers that are attached to many tongs, some not even sharpened. they end up getting great smoke anyways. i don't get it sometimes.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Feb 19 2009, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually believe mush uses small small holes with his Tangiers.

Goes to show you any way can work for any given person.

Le sigh.  I fail or Mush wins, I dunno.  I think heat management is most important, above pattern and size.

QUOTE (HookahJohn @ Feb 19 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm always experimenting with different hole patterns and it seems as though paying attn to a certain pattern has become a ritual when i set up, however when i go to other family members houses i see them stab huge holes in randomly with those thick pokers that are attached to many tongs, some not even sharpened. they end up getting great smoke anyways. i don't get it sometimes.

ive always used that huge poker attached to my tongs and i always get a perfect session

I just use a sewing needle to poke holes. Hole pattern only depends on bowl being used. I'll do 2 or 3 rings with a funnel, and 4 or so rings with a regular egyptian. 'Nuff said.

Hole poking just seems to depend on how long you wanna sit there poking holes.. you wanna make a Hello Kitty hole design? Go for it.. Circles evenly spaced out using a ruler? That's fine.. The pattern just doesn't matter.

i used to poke whatever would let me poke it.

that rule pretty much still applies.

QUOTE (chinamon @ Feb 19 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (HookahJohn @ Feb 19 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ive always used that huge poker attached to my tongs and i always get a perfect session

Siged.