Has Anyone Seen Or Heard Of Anyone Getting A Disease From Hookah?

QUOTE (willa44 @ Feb 17 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've all seen and heard about people getting sick from cigarettes and dying. Why haven't we heard the same about hookah?

From which Anti Smoking Propaganda Group?

There was a hepatitis outbreak in Tempe, AZ awhile ago. They tracked it back to a hookah lounge that wasn't using washable tips or something.

I realize that's not what you're talking about... but that's what I know of smile.gif

Hookah does cure cancer, as per my professional opinion*. I won't believe otherwise until someone can prove me wrong.

* I consider myself a professional hookah smoker, I'm pretty sure 90% of the people on these boards can share that claim

QUOTE (Hippo_Master @ Feb 17 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because no one has gotten a disease and died yet?

How do you know hookah doesn't cure cancer?

Hahaha..

Since none of us chain smoke hookah like people chain smoke cigs, I think we're better off. I've never heard of cancer from a hookah, though. But any of those anti-tobacco sites will claim it's possible. But they don't have any actual stories of hookah smokers getting cancer.

Personally, my theory is that it's only possible to get cancer through tobacco smoke by burning it, or lighting it on fire. Burning tobacco releases tar into the smoke, and tar mingles with the chemicals and such and then sticks to the insides of your mouth, esophogus, and lungs. It's easier for that to cause cancer from prolonged exposure. Hookah smoke, as long as you're using a foil screen, won't stick to your insides because it's not being burned the same. It's being cooked, or "steamed". Which is why it's not usually harsh, unlike cigs, unless you use too much heat and start to burn the shisha, then it's harsh like cigs.

I've only gotten either colds or stomach viruses from smoking hookah with friends who were or are about to be sick. But individual personal mouth pieces would solve this problem.

And since hookah smoke is mostly heated glycerin, and that glycerin gets very hydrated on it's way through the water, you smoke a mixture that is comprised of mostly glycol/water, with a bit of tobacco thrown in (for taste).

You know, i don't think it's even been proven that Tobacco smoking causes cancer. Cig smoking and Chew and stuff, of course, but those products have nasty chemicals. Edited by Hippo_Master

QUOTE (Hippo_Master @ Feb 17 2009, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And since hookah smoke is mostly heated glycerin, and that glycerin gets very hydrated on it's way through the water, you smoke a mixture that is comprised of mostly glycol/water, with a bit of tobacco thrown in (for taste).

Don't forget the chemicals from the tobacco that causes that nice buzz. laugh.gif

QUOTE (JDHarding @ Feb 17 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahaha..

Since none of us chain smoke hookah like people chain smoke cigs, I think we're better off. I've never heard of cancer from a hookah, though. But any of those anti-tobacco sites will claim it's possible. But they don't have any actual stories of hookah smokers getting cancer.

Personally, my theory is that it's only possible to get cancer through tobacco smoke by burning it, or lighting it on fire. Burning tobacco releases tar into the smoke, and tar mingles with the chemicals and such and then sticks to the insides of your mouth, esophogus, and lungs. It's easier for that to cause cancer from prolonged exposure. Hookah smoke, as long as you're using a foil screen, won't stick to your insides because it's not being burned the same. It's being cooked, or "steamed". Which is why it's not usually harsh, unlike cigs, unless you use too much heat and start to burn the shisha, then it's harsh like cigs.

I've only gotten either colds or stomach viruses from smoking hookah with friends who were or are about to be sick. But individual personal mouth pieces would solve this problem.

How is sitting and smoking on a bowl for 3-4 hours any different than chain smoking? You know why you never hear of hookah smokers getting cancer ? Because it is such a small percentage of tobacco users, on top of the fact that people who smoke hookah, also use other tobacco products.

Smoking anything is bad for you, telling yourself that is 'better' for you is just flat out lying to yourself. Comparing hookah to smoking cigarettes, and saying that it is better is only deluding yourself to make yourself feel like you aren't harming yourself.

I'll be the first to say, i notice a distinct difference of the effects of cigarettes compared to hookah on my body. But that doesn't make it good for me.

Do you enjoy smoking hookah ? Ok, so smoke it. That's the end of it.

Since everything more or less gives you cancer... And about hookah and cigs, hookah is certainly better than cigs, i dont think i need to go into that, its not even smoked the same way at all, cigs being burned while shisha is cooked/roasted and so on... There may be some other unkown fact about hookah that makes it more dangerous in other ways but i dont believe so, damn, cant there be any serious research done about this...

QUOTE (Hippo_Master @ Feb 17 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure if you used your hookah hose in some odd sex romp with a hooker (who may or may not have some various nasty diseases) and then proceeded to smoke from said hose the following day, you may or may not contract AIDS, Herpes, or various nasty other forms of STD.

Post of the day

I really wish we could get some independent tobacco researcher type guy on here and convince him/his colleagues to have someone who actually knows how to set a hookah up, do that and runs some actual tests. I'm so tired of there not being any convincing evidence either way. If it's bad, it's bad. I enjoy so I'll continue regardless, but if not then I'd like to rub in it to a few people that have been giving me $hit for awhile.

QUOTE (Stuie @ Feb 17 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've all seen and heard about people getting sick from cigarettes and dying. Why haven't we heard the same about hookah?

Post of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

In all seriousness though I had cancer last year, not lung or anything. I remember waking up from surgery, and I asked the Dr if I can smoke when I get home. I weas craving my hookah bad!

He looked at me werid and said "other than the fact that its a disgusting habit, and it will shorten your life. I dont see why not.

True Story.

QUOTE (shesha1 @ Feb 17 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all seriousness though I had cancer last year, not lung or anything. I remember waking up from surgery, and I asked the Dr if I can smoke when I get home. I weas craving my hookah bad!

He looked at me werid and said "other than the fact that its a disgusting habit, and it will shorten your life. I dont see why not.

True Story.

You woke up from surgery and could talk? I woke up and I was just scared of laying in bed watching The Price is Right. sad.gif
And those god damned Christmas shows that are all clay... UGH! Edited by Hippo_Master

QUOTE (Hippo_Master @ Feb 17 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (shesha1 @ Feb 17 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True Story.

You woke up from surgery and could talk? I woke up and I was just scared of laying in bed watching The Price is Right. sad.gif

It was a out patient cancer surgery you know? (Thank God) I learned I don't want to die in a hospital, I want to die at home. Mind you Im only 32, but I learned that I hate hospitals

You smokie, you die.
You drink, you die.
You eat too much, you die.
You eat too little, you die.
You don't eat the right stuff, you die.

Can't people just live and enjoy their lives without spending their lives trying to make them as long and as boring as possible? smile.gif