Scalliwag's Cherokee Herbal Shisha

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the diatribe goes, honestly, I think it makes sense.

My friends have just started harassing me about making my own shisha and just reading that makes me think about different ways of getting flavor out of the fruit/other flavoring items. I have no idea how you do it, but just seeing that thought process helps me visualize this stuff a little better.

As far as the natural/organic ingredients, I'm all for that. If I end up making a batch (Which I almost definitely will not...at least until classes are over haha), I would go for the same approach.

...It's late, I'm tired, and not making much sense. tongue.gif Anyway, like to see how quickly you turned this stuff around Scalli. Can't wait until I see some results from the reviews. I hope it all works out.

I have to hurry up to head to work but I had to post this. Stuie gave me a tub of JM Coffee. The shit is good but strong. I took some herb from an unflavored batch (had the main liquids though) mixed some JM Coffee into that and it was great without the big bang theory kicking my ass smile.gif So I tried some with an old tub of Al-Waha that that Steve guy was selling here forever. It is way out of date now. It revived the flavor and put out more smoke than it ever did. smile.gif
I'm wondering if there would be an interest in something to kickstart stuff peeps have laying around that either does not smoke worth a piss or is too strong? Gotta run ohmy.gif

QUOTE (soldier92 @ Feb 24 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, if you made a rootbeer flavor and got it right I would by out your whole stock.

I'm won't get to really play with it until after the preorder and Hookahstock is over but the extract I started making is flipping nice. If you ever had home made rootbeer it is something else. My uncle bought it from someone that made it that lived near him when I was a kid. Every rootbeer I have ever had since does not compare.
The extract is coming from ingredients used to make home made versions. Hell if I can get it to taste half as good as it smells it will be really good.

Thanks scalli. can't wait to get it.
now i know tang has an orange soda but if you made an orange soda that i could actually enjoy smoking (i love tang just noir gets annoying sometimes) that would be awesome.

I'm smoking my sample, RIGHT NOW. Here's a quick rundown of my experience so far. I will post a full review after I have finished the rest.

Setup: MNH Mini Glass phunnel, 3 Golden Canary coals, 2 rings of holes in the foil.

Heat management: Easy as pie. I just threw the coals on their and have been smoking for 20 minutes now, without a bit of harshness, it can take heat really well, I was expecting to have to play with the heat to get clouds but it can take quite a bit without burning.

Smoke: You've all watched the videos, he was not jerking your chain. This stuff billows smoke, as thick as what I get with Al Fakher, perfect for some great smoke rings.

Flavor: Good, not the strongest flavor I've had but it definately tastes good. I can taste the rasberry and the peppermint but only smell the vanilla. My only problem here is that I can taste the herb that it is made with which distracts from the flavor a little, not a big deal, and it's not a bad taste but it is present. Overall this blows other herbal brands out of the water in terms of flavor, definately impressed with what he has done here.

Smell: Oh man, I could smell it through the packaging that it was sent in, smelled so good that I had to fire it up the moment I got home.

Cut: I normally don't pay attention to this but it is worth noting. This stuff is strange, it's kind of like dirt, little clumps. It holds the moisture really well, the stuff is wet but it doesn't get all over your hands like scalli said. I would say it is about as wet as Starbuzz, maybe a little drier, but Scalli said the samples were wetter because they were mailed.

Overall this shisha is definately a success. Scalliwag has accomplished something that nobody else that I know of has yet done in the hookah industry, a tasty, smoky, herbal shisha. I am extremely impressed that he could get a good smoking product with minimal trial and error. Good job Scalli, I'll be buying some when it goes on sale for sure.

Lastly I would like to thank Scalliwag for the sample. I've honestly never met a place on the internet where people were willing to share with each other so readily. I think that Scalli is doing great things for our favorite hobby and hope that he will continue to do so, and enjoy doing it, thank you very much Scalli, you show I type of kindness that is rare today.

I'm glad that turned out okay Soldier. I really thought I might have messed it up with that last minute idea of wettening it more. It sucks I did not have what I have now to send. Much stronger flavor and the vanilla tastes better.
Vanilla is a royal pain in the ass. Getting it strong is hard to do without using gobs more than anything else in it.
I've really taken that as a personal challenge though and the Madagascar vanilla bean is pissing Ms. Scalli off. She saw how much I paid for it sad.gif I've made an extraction, refining, concentration method that she thought was a still. ohmy.gif
Speaking of which effing copper costs piss me off.

I also think the wetting agent may have affected the flavor. If you get it too hot or get some on the foil you can taste an herby taste, otherwise you shouldn't.

QUOTE (soldier92 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh, I didn't quite finish the bowl so I will do a second round of 2 coals to see if that gets rid of the herb taste, thanks for the tip.

Did you check and see if any was stuck to the foil? I keep mine about 1/4" from the top. You may have a tendency like me to test the limits and put more and more heat to see just how insane the clouds can get until you scorch it.
Just like with tobacco (to me at least) if you scorch it and even back off the flavor diminishes after that.
If you scorch the herb you will taste it and it may not get back to good without taking of the foil and stirring and repacking or possibly reloading.
Christian can tell you how I messed up a good bowl we had going because the coals looked like they were burned down too much. It was still smoking good... until I dropped another coal on it sad.gif

Alright, this is going onto my new order. Done deal. I think I'll try one of each flavor.

Also, Scalli, MNH says it will ship on the 3rd? Is that correct? Because if it is, I'll have to be creative with shipping to make sure it gets to where I am so I can smoke it ASAP (Going back home for Spring Break week after next).

Thanks. smile.gif

*Edit* Also, 250 posts! Woo! Edited by ColibriDon

QUOTE (ColibriDon @ Feb 26 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, this is going onto my new order. Done deal. I think I'll try one of each flavor.

Also, Scalli, MNH says it will ship on the 3rd? Is that correct? Because if it is, I'll have to be creative with shipping to make sure it gets to where I am so I can smoke it ASAP (Going back home for Spring Break week after next).

Thanks. smile.gif

*Edit* Also, 250 posts! Woo!

DOH! Something must have got crossed if that's what is says. He stops taking orders on March 3rd and gives me the orders on what to send. My dumbass probably confused this. But there is no way for him to ship until he gets it.
My intent was to get it to him by that weekend and let him get it out to the customers the start of the next week.
I was really running on empty when we went into the planning so I hope I did not get him in a bind.
I will get a list of orders and get those filled and shipped to him in time to meet that deadline, but get him to change it to what we can meet. I'm afraid there could be a big run on it the last day or so of the deadline and I want to be able to fill all orders. I have know idea what to expect and this is a bit new to me as well.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Feb 26 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any way to get a sample? Planning on ordering a bunch and want to see what flavor I like best before dropping a bunch of money on it.

I think I will put all that over to Tarik on future samples. I will send him extra to send to vendors and maybe he will put samples in with some of his orders for a bit. At least there are only three to choose from for now. As I make new ones I can send samples to Tarik to distribute as he sees fit. I *think* it is always cool to get something extra in an order and I know you guys are no different. So ordering say a phunnel bowl, and some coconaras and finding a sample of the latest flavor can make for good PR.
I really had a change of heart for the Vanilla-Raspberry- Peppermint since the new vanilla is in it. It is right up there with JD Black label now.
I want to wait on the rootbeer for right now and concentrate on the production system. That and I gotta buy more stuff.

Oh man, I was thinking the shisha would be sent out on the 3rd... I'm anxious to smoke the vanilla/rasp/pepermint and JD black label.

I think the samples in future orders through mnhookah is a good idea, gives people who arn't on this forum a chance to try the herbal shisha.

So im smoking the Van Rasper Mint right now and its very different. The clouds are amazing and this stuff is literally unburnable, though it requires a little heat heat management is a cinch. THe shisha is more of a consistency of Hookah Freak; very fine and moist instead of juicy. I have two cocos on my mini but pushed in further on the bowl than i would with AF or SB. My package bursted on route so i lost a bit of juice, so i might be a bit short on the flavor. THe mint is amazing pretty similiar to an af mint but a little milder. I am not getting much raspberry and not really any vanilla flavor but the flavor is getting stronger as a i smoke. I am def. tasting some of the herbal products which is kinda gets in the way of the flavor, but its pretty mild and not bad in itself. There is a very mild buzz thats relaxing like nicotine but w/o the nausea that i sometimes get from too much. Once again i cant believe the size of the clouds. im outside and there as a little breeze but the clouds are still mind blowing. I am really glad to be fortunate enough to try this shisha, it is very different. Many thanks to scalliwag for including me in on this, will have to try the new recipe.

if you like mint, trying something different, and hands down the largest clouds be sure to try this stuff out.

Set up:
Mya Bambino
Mini Phunnel
2 Cocos
Razan hose

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!

This may be a stupid question but what if the herbs are illegal for an example here in sweden? Im pretty sure that they arent, considering that they are legal in the states but...
Ofc i understand that you cannot tell the ingridients smile.gif But could you tell us what you think about it, if you believe they could be illegal? (sorry if this already has been pointed out).
One other thing, are you still going to make a thread for the logo? Would be very interesting.

Also i must confess my love for this forum, never seen one where everybody are as polite, helping, giving etc as here wub.gif And with all this stuff, mini phunnels, scalliwag potentially revolutionizing shisha, this is the birthplace of alot of hookah stuff/inventions in general, damn! Hookah.gif

QUOTE (Matt-641 @ Feb 27 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh man, I was thinking the shisha would be sent out on the 3rd... I'm anxious to smoke the vanilla/rasp/pepermint and JD black label.

I think the samples in future orders through mnhookah is a good idea, gives people who arn't on this forum a chance to try the herbal shisha.

crap. I just got to looking at the calendar and a early shipment is almost impossible. Work today and Hookahstock tomorrow puts it to Monday which is 3/2. Lemme see what we can do.

QUOTE (drabin @ Feb 27 2009, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
got it today. will do a review asap. smells fabulous

cool

QUOTE (indian_villager @ Feb 27 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Getting the camcorder from home this weekend. You all will be finally be able to bask in the glory of the village.

YAY! the IV Debut Review!

QUOTE (joytron @ Feb 27 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So im smoking the Van Rasper Mint right now and its very different. The clouds are amazing and this stuff is literally unburnable, though it requires a little heat heat management is a cinch. THe shisha is more of a consistency of Hookah Freak; very fine and moist instead of juicy. I have two cocos on my mini but pushed in further on the bowl than i would with AF or SB. My package bursted on route so i lost a bit of juice, so i might be a bit short on the flavor. THe mint is amazing pretty similiar to an af mint but a little milder. I am not getting much raspberry and not really any vanilla flavor but the flavor is getting stronger as a i smoke. I am def. tasting some of the herbal products which is kinda gets in the way of the flavor, but its pretty mild and not bad in itself. There is a very mild buzz thats relaxing like nicotine but w/o the nausea that i sometimes get from too much. Once again i cant believe the size of the clouds. im outside and there as a little breeze but the clouds are still mind blowing. I am really glad to be fortunate enough to try this shisha, it is very different. Many thanks to scalliwag for including me in on this, will have to try the new recipe.

if you like mint, trying something different, and hands down the largest clouds be sure to try this stuff out.

Set up:
Mya Bambino
Mini Phunnel
2 Cocos
Razan hose

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!

Dang, sorry it broke open. Glad ya liked it. At least I know those that like this batch will really like the next.

QUOTE (Kapten Kanel @ Feb 27 2009, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This may be a stupid question but what if the herbs are illegal for an example here in sweden? Im pretty sure that they arent, considering that they are legal in the states but...
Ofc i understand that you cannot tell the ingridients smile.gif But could you tell us what you think about it, if you believe they could be illegal? (sorry if this already has been pointed out).
One other thing, are you still going to make a thread for the logo? Would be very interesting.

Also i must confess my love for this forum, never seen one where everybody are as polite, helping, giving etc as here wub.gif And with all this stuff, mini phunnels, scalliwag potentially revolutionizing shisha, this is the birthplace of alot of hookah stuff/inventions in general, damn! Hookah.gif

I would not thing there are any herbs legal here and illegal elsewhere, What are in it really have no reason to be. There are no seeds of any sort to grow a plant from which I guess seeds of any kind could be regulated.
Yes once the name is decided we move to the logo. I know Stuie is chompin at the bit for that one wink.gif

As far as forum comments I agree. What I also notice is that most people that get into and stick with hookahs are either eccentric, creative, adventurous or some combination of all. I've had the honor of meeting many of these people and they are all interesting. Far above the majority of people I meet. Intelligent and thoughtful people that like to socialize with ebough willpower to work through challenges that the hookah life brings our way. After all it does require a bit more effort than lighting a cigarette to ever get to lighting your own first bowl.
I just like people that think like that. I appreciate peeps that have drive and don't give up easy.
At least that is my evaluation of our members and I think it's fairly accurate.