Hookah And Acid Reflux?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone suffers from acid reflux/heart burn and have any information if there is any correlation with hookah and acid relfux/heart burn? I just got an endoscopy done because I had one of the worst days of my life the other day with acid reflux to the point I got esophagitus. Doctor told me to lay off the hookah for a bit but I dont understand why because smoke doesnt have anything to do with my esophagus.

Anyone have any expierence? I'm gonna listin to him it's my health, but to be honest I already feel better I never had acid reflux this bad to the point I got esophagitus.

Your esophagus is pretty long dude...

When dissecting bodies, you can see the result of wear and tear on the cervix esophagus because of acid reflux. Every one of those donated bodies were smokers. I can't directly answer your question, but I hope the picture helps on how long your esophagus is.

I have really bad acid reflux. Hookah definitely causes it to flare up. Before every session, I take a Pepcid Complete (the Costco version) and a prescription Ranitidine 300mg (generic Zantac), and it doesn't flare up.

Very interesting. I don't smoke my hookah more than once or twice a week because, unfortunately, I just don't have the time. But last weekend I smoked at a friends house and started getting heartburn. I figured it was because I hadn't eaten much yet but your post brings up an interesting point. I get heartburn if I drink too much of anything except water, eat too close to bedtime, and many times for absolutely no reason at all.

oh god...heartburn please don't mess up my hookah fun...I've given up enough because of you already.... sad.gif

Well the night i got uncontrollable heartburn I had 2 slices of delicious pizza with a lot of garlic powder on it that night I wasn't the same. Couple nights after though I smoked hookah and puked everywhere..

Just an interesting thought. I am going to keep hookah on the low for at least a couple days till the weekend.

Every now and then I'll get heartburn when I smoke my Hookah, but I do get it other times too. It's hard to tell a direct correlation, but I would imagine it could have something to do with the nicotine, which I've heard gives short boosts to your metabolism. That may cause your stomach to produce more acid etc, I'm not sure. Just a possibility there, but I've noticed that it does sometimes give me heartburn, happens most if I smoke on an empty stomach or drink soda (acidic drinks). Like Zinite sometimes I'll take one of those acid reducing pills (Ranitidine) before I smoke and I'm fine then.

-Z

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Feb 11 2009, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone suffers from acid reflux/heart burn and have any information if there is any correlation with hookah and acid relfux/heart burn? I just got an endoscopy done because I had one of the worst days of my life the other day with acid reflux to the point I got esophagitus. Doctor told me to lay off the hookah for a bit but I dont understand why because smoke doesnt have anything to do with my esophagus.

Anyone have any expierence? I'm gonna listin to him it's my health, but to be honest I already feel better I never had acid reflux this bad to the point I got esophagitus.

What Causes It?
The basic cause of heartburn is an underactive lower esophageal sphincter, or LES, that doesn't tighten as it should. Two excesses often contribute to this problem: too much food in the stomach (overeating) or too much pressure on the stomach (frequently from obesity or pregnancy). Certain foods commonly relax the LES, including tomatoes, citrus fruits, garlic, onions, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, caffeinated products, and peppermint. Dishes high in fats and oils (animal or vegetable) often lead to heartburn, as do certain medications. Stress increases acid production and can cause heartburn. And smoking, which relaxes the LES and stimulates stomach acid, is a major contributor.

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/guide/...eartburn-basics

Stress increases acid production and can cause heartburn. And smoking, which relaxes the LES and stimulates stomach acid, is a major contributor.

hmmm...so when I'm stressed I have more stomach acid but when I smoke to relax, I get even more acid... dry.gif

doesn't seem fair to me

Pipe tobacco nicotine has a pHs ~4.7-4.9 therefore it can be quite acid. PPIs don't function well over long period of very acid food consumption.

I have to say I do have problems with acid reflux but Tobacco never accentuates it.

Try taking some Xantrax or something similar and see if it helps.