87 members have voted

1. 1. are you in a frat?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please explain the whole frat thing? I never really got the point of it. You all pledge into these "clubs" where one can hang out with other members of said club and laugh at people from other clubs? And what's up with the naming? Do you just have to have any old random 3 letters from the greek alphabet or are there some significance to it? I really do wonder, not just bad forum /sarcasm here.

Oh and I'm not a member of any fraternity btw, tho I do have a little brother if that counts? I'll refrain from voting for now.

im not in one, but to help answer your question. the whole thing is about brotherhood, tradition, and commeradery. and killer parties. you have to be a person who is all for those things in order to want to join. its a love it or hate it thing.

QUOTE (Ebzen @ Feb 9 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could someone please explain the whole frat thing? I never really got the point of it. You all pledge into these "clubs" where one can hang out with other members of said club and laugh at people from other clubs? And what's up with the naming? Do you just have to have any old random 3 letters from the greek alphabet or are there some significance to it? I really do wonder, not just bad forum /sarcasm here.

Oh and I'm not a member of any fraternity btw, tho I do have a little brother if that counts? I'll refrain from voting for now.

The point of fraternities is to share a common bond with a group of like minded individuals. Most fraternities will have a philanthropy that they donate their time and money to in order to help make the world a little bit better. When you pay your dues, you're not paying for friends. You pay for insurance (liability/property/injury), you pay for events that you put on, you pay for shirts you get, etc. Sure, we laugh at other clubs, but its no different than two different cliques of friends making fun of each other. Most of it is done in jest.

When it comes to naming, fraternities/sororities tend to have 2 or 3 greek letters as their name. I've seen a couple with 4, and I've even seen groups with russian letters... its all a matter of preference, really. Most times the letters have a "secret" meaning. It could be as simple as the founder's initials, it could be something more complex...it could even be that those letters just sound good together. If you have an bad interaction on campus with a person who's wearing letters (fight, assault, theft, other crime), make notice of their letters and report it to your office of student life. Chances are, they'll get reprimanded publically, but in the long run, it will help weed out the "stereotypical" frat boy persona...

QUOTE (GNUWorldOrder @ Feb 9 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well the poll seems the be the opposite of what id think from the chat

Because people in fraternities are proud of that and want to talk about it. People who aren't (me) could not possibly care less. There aren't a whole lot of non-Greeks that are passionate about not being Greek.