Putting Crushed Ice Inside The Stem?

Just wondering if anybody has ever tried it to "cool" down their smoke?

my stem is about 15 - 17 inches long with a wide down stem.

so putting crushed ice shouldnt be a problem putting it inside. but, i might need a screen to keep it from falling through the bottom into the base.

and would the pulls be a lot harder?

i'm pretty sure it should make a difference with temperature rather than just the base being filled with ice?

is this a possibility that might work? Edited by FPSee

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Feb 6 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh I guess, I would just recommend putting it all in the vase. But why cold? Why everyone so obsessed with cold? I use warm water in my vases and always still get cool smoke, the warmer the water the more flavor you will taste.

i guess people who like cool smoke, like that cold feeling that goes through your mouth into your lungs, and back out. and lingers there for a bit

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Feb 6 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then just put a dab of mint in the bowl and mix it with whatever flavor you are having and you will get that feeling.

Or smoke straight mint, with frosted stem/hoses, with ice in the base, and the whole thing sitting in a big bucket of snow. I've done that... it was very cold. And kinda cool too. Don't think I'd do it again though

@OP Give it a shot, it'll probably choke your pull down a little... but if you want cold smoke why not I guess? Best bet is to get your set-up wet, then frost the whole hookah (disassembled, otherwise it might freeze together) then toss some crushed ice in the base with your water and smoke. Frosted hoses are good, but will get really stiff, esp. washables in my experience.

um... it sounds good at first but then think about it...

you're going through the trouble to get the ice in there and putting a screen on the bottom to keep it from falling out.

its ice. It will start melting right away, in a few minutes you probably wont be able to pull at all. then when its all gone it will jsut be more water in the base.

better off just putting it in the base. to save a lot of time.

if you like the idea of a cooler stem get a hookah with an ice bucket.

depending on the hookah maybe a chiller would do the trick, i put ice in my base sometimes but as mattarios said about the warm water ive tried that as well and i get bettter taste, with ice in the base it seems to lose alittle less favor from what ive experienced, thats just me though

As all have said, it is just easier putting ice in your base and if you are looking for it to be really cold then just leave your base in the freezer 5 minutes before you want to smoke.
This will make it nice and cold so just do it like that

-H&S

i like this idea and i disagree with people saying it will clog your tube. just make a diffuser screen and tape it on there real good and try it out.

now one thing though, fill the vase very minimally because there will be more water in the vase as the ice melts, and you dont want to get water in your hose or cause a hard draw do you?

QUOTE (K1024 @ Feb 7 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i like this idea and i disagree with people saying it will clog your tube. just make a diffuser screen and tape it on there real good and try it out.

now one thing though, fill the vase very minimally because there will be more water in the vase as the ice melts, and you dont want to get water in your hose or cause a hard draw do you?

Yeah, it might work, but it is just less hassle and easier to put ice in the vase and even your vase in the freezer...

-H&S

QUOTE (K1024 @ Feb 7 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
right but this would give the smoke much more contact with cold, even more so than the actual bubbling through water.

Yeah suppose you have a point there...

The only thing will be judging the water level correctly, so that you have enough water to smoke, when the ice is still melted and that there wont be to much water, when the ice is melted..

-H&S

QUOTE (K1024 @ Feb 7 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah that'd be a real pain in the ass...

if you start with the water level at the absolute minimum there might be a chance, depending on height of hookah.

True, that's probably the best way....or otherwise just empty some water out half way through...

-H&S

lol i just had a great idea

if the water level is to high unscrew the purge valve, insert a very small tube, syphen out the extra water. itd work so much better than actually changing it! Edited by K1024

QUOTE (K1024 @ Feb 7 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol i just had a great idea

if the water level is to high unscrew the purge valve, insert a very small tube, syphen out the extra water. itd work so much better than actually changing it!

Not a bad idea at all!! If you could find a tube small enough then it could actually work damn well!!

-H&S

If you want to try for a cooler smoke put ice in the base and stick your stem in the freezer for about 10-15min. I have done that and you get really cool smoke but I personally just put cold water in the base.