Jm Hookah Tobacco Review

mushrat

Post your reviews below for JM. This is for reviews only. Questions and comments should be posted in seperate threads. Non-review posts or parts of posts deemed not part of the review will be edited out by Mods. For ease of using the search engine, each review should start with: JM (flavour)

JM's Hookah Kahlua

Hookah: Mya QT
Bowl: Tangiers Small Phunnel
Screen/Foil: Reynolds HD
Hose: AF Healthy Hose
Coals: Coconara
Base Liquid: Water

Appearance: Short Cut, Very Dark, Moist and only a slight red tint.
Nicotine: 0.5%
Base: Molasses & Glycerin
Smell: Like Coffee
Taste: Like sweet coffee
Smoke: Great Clouds
Buzz: Mild
Duration: 1.5 Hours

Purchased From: thehookah.com

Overall: 8/10 This is the premium line from the people that produce Baja. I bought Kahlua in both to compare the lines. JM has less red dye and tastes like sweet coffee, instead of sweet burned coffee like Baja. Great Clouds, Mild Buzz, Nice Taste. Definetly better than the Baja version, and worth the extra couple of bucks.

• 1 month later...
JM Raspberry

This stuff was finely chopped. Not as fine as Al Amir but small pieces. Too much juice, if there can be such a thing. This stuff was swimming in liquid.

Smelled like raspberry candy with a floral overtone.

Since it is unwashed I let it acclimate before smoking it.

Tasted like ok raspberry candy but had this awful chalky taste/feel and a taste I couldn't identify that lingers in the back of your throat. After half an hour or so the flavor diminished rapidly leaving that same chalky sensation and taste even stronger. Me and my friends quit after that happened.

I think they were aiming for an unwashed competition to StarBuzz, but they failed I'm afraid.

• 4 weeks later...
JM's CHOCOLATE

Hookah:
Mya QT
Bowl: Vortex
Screen/Foil: Reynolds
Hose: Nammor Hose
Coals: 2 Coconara
Base Liquid: Water and Ice

Appearance: Finely chopped. Almost like oatmeal if you can believe it.
Nicotine: 0.5%
Base: Molasses & Glycerin
Smell: Like a chocolate factory
Taste: Like a melted hershey bar
Smoke: Great Clouds
Buzz: Mild
Duration: 1.5 Hours

Purchased From: thehookah.com

Overall: 10/10 This stuff is off the hook!! I swear the best Chocolate flavor I have ever had in my life. Takes a little bit to heat up but after it's just awesome. I highly reccomend mixing it with some Fantasia candy cane! Seriously one of the best smokes I have ever had. Edited by adrock5150

• 2 months later...
JM Cherry

Setup: KM original Tri-metal, CH coals, tap water in base. I tried two bowls - one the small phunnel, and a standard Egyptian.

Appearance: Really small cut with not a stem in sight. Looked almost like coffee grounds. Moist but not what I would call really wet. No real amount of dye that I could detect. It seemed like any dye might have come with the flavoring because it was very light.
Smell: Really strong in the tin before opening the bag, like a cherry candy.
Smoke: A wnole lot of clouds.
Buzz: Nothing buzzes me anymore, so none at all despite it being 0.5% nicotine.
Duration: 40 minutes on one CH coal on the Egyptian, an hour on the phunnel with two CH coals.
Flavor: Considering that the smell was very strong, I was surprised that the flavor wasn't terribly strong. This is definitely a different kind of tobacco which is exactly what I would expect from what is essentially a pipe and cigar company. The main thing I noticed was that it's very, very smooth. I couldn't get any harshness out of it even when I cranked up the heat with a windcover over the Egyptian bowl early into the smoke.

Overall: This is more of what I call grown up tobacco. It's not candy flavored and the flavoring smooths out the tobacco flavor so you get just a hint of it. That's not a bad thing - simply JM's style and I would definitely keep it around for those times I'm not so much in the mood for more candy-ish flavors. I think pipe smokers would love this stuff especially. It's amazingly smooth which is one of the things that really impressed me about it.

'Rani

• 1 month later...

[/b]Brand/Flavor:
JM's Hookah Rum and Cola

Methodology:

-Al Fakher Solid 36" filled with ice water, small Tangiers phunnel bowl, 3 Coco Naras
-2 people with 38 hits/person over 35-40 minutes

First Impressions:
Very finely chopped, very juicy and dyed a deep red, as seems to be typical of JM's. Smells like a strongly mixed rum and coke.

Post Mortem:
Thoroughly cooked in the top 60% of the bowl, still a decent amount of moisture at the bottom.

Pros:
-Both smells and tastes like a real "Cuba Libré", at least at first
-Big clouds

Cons:
-Taste dies off relatively quickly, leaving just bitterness

Andrew's Thoughts:
JM's Hookah Rum & Cola both surprised and disappointed me. On the one hand, it came remarkably close to an actual "rum and coke" flavor: it had a distinct herbal cola flavor, backed up by a tangy, rum-like cinnamon/vanilla. At first, I thoroughly enjoyed smoking it, as it produced thick, white clouds and a strong flavor. Unfortunately, as the bowl progressed that alcoholic tang that had at first been an interesting finish began to dominate, and soon all I could taste was this weird bitterness that tasted neither of rum nor cola. By the tenth round there was no real sweetness left, and by the time we stopped it was nigh unsmokeable. JM's Rum and Cola could have been so damn good, but in the end it was just unpleasant.

Eric's Thoughts:
In my opinion, this is probably one of the more difficult flavors to pull off. I mean, there are complex flavors and then there are complex flavors, this is the latter of the two. And while JM's gave it a valiant effort, I can't help but feel that they fell a wee bit short of the mark. The cola flavor was quite herbal and quite good, much like the Romman Cola that we've smoked in the past, it was the rum part that got a bit dicey. The smell was quite accurate to a captains and coke but the taste comes off as a bit chemical. And while one could argue that this makes it taste "alcoholic", I personally wouldn't give them any points for it. But while the experience at the start was above average, as the bowl wore on the flavor became more and more chemical, and eventually became too much to bear. And keeping in mind we were smoking this out of a phunnel, and the bowl was only about halfway done when we called it, there's a distinct possibility that the flavor would get nastier faster for those of you smoking it out of an egyptian or some such bowl. All in all, a valiant effort, but not quite right.

Peanut Gallery:
(Caroline)
Rum and Coke is alright. They actually nailed the rum flavor, which is kind of impressive—it tastes exactly like having a rum and coke. However, the flavor gets to be a bit much after a while, and I personally do not enjoy smoking it very often. I would much rather drink my rum than smoke it.

Conclusion:
Interesting to try, especially since it's so accurate at the beginning, but it's lack of endurance means we will not likely be buying this again.

B-

• 2 months later...
JM's S'mores _sheesha2__by_Majunka_aurore.gif

Setup:
23" Mya Odyssey
Egyptian bowl
Nammor hose
Foil
Ice and H2O in the base
Belgian QL coal (1 broken into thirds)

Cut: Very fine. I haven't come across a brand yet that is this fine, but then again, my experience is sort of limited. A very nice side note is that the stems are extremely cut up if they are in there, and there isn't a single one that I can find of any real size. good2.gif
Smell: Exactly like a s'more. It's a really pleasant smell, and not overpowering. good2.gif
Smoke: This is what really sets it apart from other shishas that I have smoked before. After only four draws, I'm experiencing white out conditions, no joke! It's nice and mellow, not thick and overpowering. good2.gif
Taste: During the first couple of draws, the taste is really minor. You can sort of taste the beginnings, but it's not quite there. However, after about five minutes, the taste really explodes. There is a distinct chocolate and marshmallow taste during the inhale, and during the exhale you can taste the graham cracker. It's not overpowering, and a little on the mellow side, but I like that trait. good2.gif
Buzz: Nice and relaxing. It doesn't throw you into the back of your seat, and this is a trait that I really enjoy. good2.gif
Duration: Since I'm only smoking off of one coal, the duration is no longer than 45 minutes. However, the shisha is still in good enough condition to smoke for at least an hour and fifteen minutes or longer on two coals. good2.gif

Overall: I'm extremely impressed with the quality of this shisha. I was a little anxious to try JM's, but after this experience I will definitely try more of their flavors. If you enjoy a nice mellow smoke with a different taste, this is definitely a shisha that I recommend.

Score: 9.5/10 (could use a little more flavoring)

• 3 months later...
[color="#FF8C00"][size=5]JM's Tangerine[/size][/color]
[color="#FF8C00"][size=5]
[/size][/color]
[size=2][color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]Setup:
KM 32" Double pear
Tangier's Small Phunnel bowl
KM Leather hose
HD Foil
Ice cold tap water
3 x CoCoBrico coconut coals[/size][/font][/color][/size]
[size=2][color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][/color][/size]
Cut: Very fine, I never smoked an American brand before, Im used to Al Fakher. I thought it was that herbal shit when I first saw the cut! Very wet but manageable.
Smell: Now, this stuff smells GREAT, like a real Tangerine/Orange. It has that acidic citrus peel smell to it, very pleasant. The smell is strong, it stunk up the room quite well. My friends also loved the smell. I also convinced a friend who dont smoke at all to smoke this by the smell alone!
Smoke: It takes a while to fire up, I would say 3-5 mins before you get those puffy white clouds that we all want. The smoke is thick white clouds, not dense and heavy like Al Fakher.
Taste: Like it smells! Like a tangerine, if your from the UK then its like eating a Terry's Chocolate Orange without the choco taste, just the orange after taste. Its very nice and relaxing this flavour.
Buzz: None, but my friend got light headed as his not a smoker.
Overall: I would deffo add 2 cans of Tangerine with every order I make from the US, I only bought one tin to sample it, but damn, this stuff is sexy.

Score: I would give it a 9/10. 0.5 deductions for: 1)Taste: I would like the taste to be a little more sweeter and maybe a bit more stronger. 2) Smoke: I want the smoke to start more quickly, also more thicker. [/size][/font][/color][/size]

[color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][size=2][color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]
[font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=6][color="#000080"]JM' Blueberry[/color][/size][/font][/font]
[color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][size=2][color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][/color][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[/size][/font][/color][/size][/size][/font][/color]Setup:
KM 32" Double pear
Tangier's Small Phunnel bowl
KM Leather hose
HD Foil
Ice cold tap water
2 x Bamboocha bamboo coals[/size][/font][/color][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[/size][/font][/color][/size]
Cut: Very fine, I never smoked an American brand before, Im used to Al Fakher. I thought it was that herbal shit when I first saw the cut! Very wet but manageable.
Smell: I didnt think much of the smell, when I first smelt it I was like Blah... The smell is kindda weak, not much to smell but you do get a hint of blueberry.
Smoke: It takes a while to fire up, I would say 3-5 mins before you get those puffy white clouds that we all want. The smoke is thick white clouds, not dense and heavy like Al Fakher.
Taste: The taste is very mellow, there deffo is a blueberry taste on the exhale though the nose, but very mellow indeed. If you want big crazy full on flavours then this is not for you!
Buzz: None.
Overall: I think this is maybe too mellow for me in order for a repeat order of this Shisha, but I will enjoy the rest of the tin for chill our sessions, mainly when im on my own, it will be good for a movie, listening to music or just a nice chill out smoke :)

Score: I would give this a 7/10 - Far to mellow for me, if the flavour was more stronger and in your face it would be good! Maybe a tad bit sweater along side with more blueberry flavour would be good. I was thinking giving it a 6.5 but thats harsh because its not too bad, it just lacks flavour...[/size][/font][/color][/size][/size][/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[color="#ff8c00"]JM' Tangerine[/color]

Setup:
KM 36" Signature
Egyptian Bowl
KM Standard
HD Foil
Cold tap water
1 Exotica cut into 3 parts

Cut: Very fine cut, the same as any other JM.

Smell: The smell was what pulled me in to buy it, it was amazing. I bought it and made a few people smell it, even my parents and everyone figured out that it was Tangerine.

Smoke: Started quick and got a pretty good hit off the first puff. The smoke was pretty good and thick which impressed me.

Taste: The taste is amazing just as the smell is, it's similar to orange but with a more unique taste and a stronger punch.

Buzz: None.

Overall: Wasn't a big JM fan, in fact this was my first time trying JM and it did not disappoint. The flavor was incredible, one of my new favorite flavors.

Score: I have nothing bad to say, I am very impressed and this flavor gets a 10/10.

• 2 months later...
[size="4"][color="#0000ff"]JM's Wild Berry Mint[/color][/size]

Setup:

Mya Mozza
Standard Mya Bowl
HD foil
2 Coco's
Nammor Hose
Cool water in the base

[size="3"][color="#00ff00"]Pro's:
[size="2"]
[color="#000000"]Very fine cut, virtually no stems
Great flavor at first
Big clouds throughout the bowl
Very smooth smoking

[size="3"][color="#ff0000"]Con's:
[size="2"][color="#000000"]Flavor fades by the midpoint of the bowl's life
Expensive

[size="3"]Overall:

[size="2"]In my area imported Shisha like Nak and Tangiers is not available in stores so this is a good alternative while I wait for my internet orders to come in. However, I think that it is a bit overpriced. While the quality is good, it is not quite up to the standards of the previously mentioned brands. Taking everything into consideration I give it a 7.5/10. [/size]
[/size]

[/color][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size]

• 2 months later...
[size="3"][b]JM's Hookah [color="#8b0000"]Dr. Cola[/color][/b][/size]

[b]Hookah:[/b] Mya Saray Razo
[b]Bowl:[/b] Tangiers Small Phunnel
[b]Screen/Foil:[/b] Reynolds Heavy Duty
[b]Hose:[/b] Nammor
[b]Coals:[/b] Coconara
[b]Base Liquid:[/b] Water

[b]Appearance:[/b] Short Cut, Very Dark, Moist and only a slight red tint.
[b]Nicotine:[/b] 0.5%
[b]Base: [/b]Molasses & Glycerin
[b]Smell: [/b]Candyish, hint of almond
[b]Taste: [/b]Cola with Almond and a little spice
[b]Smoke:[/b] Great Clouds
[b]Buzz: [/b]Mild
[b]Duration:[/b] 1.5 Hours

[b]Purchased From:[/b] HookahJohn.com

[b]Overall:[/b] 7/10 With a Name like Dr. Cola, I was hoping for Dr Pepper tasting shisha. It tastes like a Cola with almond and maybe a hint of ginger or some other spice. It's not the greatest thing but it's not completely horrible but it's definitely not something I would buy again.

• 2 months later...
JMs pink lemonade

appearance- short cut, red dye normal JM cut
nicotine- .05
smell- exactly like pink lemonade
- taste- pretty much like pink lemonade
smoke- average to great clouds somewhere in there
buzz- none
longevity- smoked about one round of coals and decided to go to bed so could have went much longer

over all 8.5/10, while it was good i got this feeling of super sour in the back of my throat that made the smoke experience kind of weird, i have no idea if it was just me or what but it wasnt a bad smoke at all, it actually reminded me of drinking pink lemonade that had a little too much syrup in it from the fountain not enough water.

• 5 months later...
[size="2"][size="2"][b][color="#1C2837"]JM's Hookah [/color][color="#4B0082"]Wild Berry Mint[/color][/b][/size]

[b]Hookah:[/b][color="#1C2837"] 35" Egyptian[/color][/size]
[size="2"] [b]Bowl:[/b][color="#1C2837"] Saphire Power Bowl[/color]
[b]Screen/Foil:[/b][color="#1C2837"] Alufoil heavy-duty precut shisha foils[/color]
[b]Hose:[/b][color="#1C2837"] Nammor knock-off[/color]
[b]Coals:[/b][color="#1C2837"] Zoghal Ghaleb natural lemon wood lump coals, 3 small pieces[/color]
[b]Base Liquid:[/b][color="#1C2837"] Water[/color]

[b]Appearance:[/b][color="#1C2837"] Fine cut, moist, no visible stems, same consistency as Tangiers but dyed red. [/color]
[b]Nicotine:[/b][color="#1C2837"] 0.5% (according to label)[/color]
[color="#1C2837"][color="#000000"][b]Buzz: [/b][color="#1C2837"]almost none. [/color][/color][/color][/size]
[size="2"][b] Base: [/b][color="#1C2837"]Molasses & Glycerine[/color]
[b]Smell: [/b][color="#1C2837"]Forest fruits smell, some mixture of blackcurrant and berries. Reminiscent of blackcurrant/cherry throat sweets, but little sign of mint. Appealing.[/color]
[b]Taste: [/b][color="#1C2837"]Pleasant, in line with the smell. Slightly more evidence of mint in the taste, no menthol.[/color]
[b]Smoke:[/b][color="#1C2837"] Decent clouds, greyish smoke. [/color]
[b]Duration:[/b][color="#1C2837"] 1 hour[/color]
[b]Purchased From:[/b][color="#1C2837"] Trade with rj_skillz[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"][b]Good points:[/b] Smell (8/10), taste (7/10), cut (8/10), smoke (8/10), packaging (9/10) [/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"][b]Bad points: [/b]duration (4/10), price (6/10), value (2/10), buzz (2/10), heat sensitivity (4/10)[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"]
[/color][/size][size="2"] [b]Overall:[/b][color="#1C2837"] [b]5.8/10 - this is marketed as a 'premium' shisha and is priced to compete with Tangiers. The cut is nice; the smell is appealing and the initial flavour is quite good. [/b][/color][/size][color="#1C2837"][size="2"][b]However, the flavour is volatile in response to heat, becomes harsh quickly and did not subjectively merit a second round of coals. A post-mortem showed that I'd cooked the whole 25g bowl in an hour; the same bowl with Nakhla is good for 2-3 hours, or 4-5 hours with Tang Lucid. [/b][/size][/color][color="#1C2837"][size="2"][b]On balance, it was as good as the average hour-long smoke in the average shisha cafe; I'd rate it on par with AF, for instance. However, I can get better clouds, flavour and duration from Nakhla or Tangiers; I doubt that I'll buy JM's Hookah again. [/b][/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"][b]
[/b][/size][/color]
[/b][/size][/color]
[/b][/size][/color]
[/b][/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"][b]
[/b][/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"][b]
[/b][/color][/size]

Edited by magick777

• 6 months later...
[size=3][b][color=#1C2837]JM's Hookah [/color][color=#ffd700]Melon Medley[/color][/b][/size]

[b]Hookah:[/b][color=#1C2837] 35" Egyptian[/color]
[b]Bowl:[/b][color=#1C2837] Saphire Funnet (30-40g load)[/color]
[b]Screen/Foil:[/b][color=#1C2837] Alufoil heavy-duty precut shisha foils[/color]
[b]Hose:[/b][color=#1C2837] Nammor knock-off[/color]
[b]Coals:[/b][color=#1C2837] Abo Alabed, Syrian olive wood finger coals, 3 small pieces[/color]
[b]Base Liquid:[/b][color=#1C2837] Water[/color]

[b]Appearance:[/b][color=#1C2837] Fine cut, moist, no visible stems, similar consistency as Tangiers but dyed red. [/color]
[b]Nicotine:[/b][color=#1C2837] 0.5% (according to label)[/color]
[color=#1C2837][color=#000000][b]Buzz: [/b][color=#1C2837]absolutely none. [/color][/color][/color]
[b]Base: [/b][color=#1C2837]Molasses & Glycerine[/color]
[b]Smell: [/b]Initial melon smell from the tin, giving way to a less pleasant "musty" smell on opening the bag. Not offputting, though.
[b]Taste: [/b]Passable melon flavour; pleasant; true to flavour but very mild.
[b]Smoke:[/b][color=#1C2837] Slow to start, good clouds after about 15 minutes, somehow less than satisfying.[/color]
[b]Duration:[/b][color=#1C2837] 45 mins and I got bored.[/color]
[b]Purchased From:[/b][color=#1C2837] Trade with rj_skillz[/color]
[color=#1C2837][b]Good points:[/b] Smell (6/10), taste (8/10), cut (7/10), smoke (6/10), packaging (9/10) [/color]
[color=#1C2837][b]Bad points: [/b]duration (4/10), price (6/10), value (2/10), buzz (0/10), heat sensitivity (5/10)[/color]

[b]Overall:[/b][color=#1C2837] [b]5.3/10 Maybe I'm being unfair, as it was a reasonably true melon flavour and smell, but my opinion of JMs has not improved since the last review. Given the problems I had last time I packed a large phunnel as tight as it would go and managed to avoid scorching, at the expense of a slow start with minimal smoke. Eventually achieved tolerable clouds of boring melony blandness, no buzz, no real advance on the flavour with more heat, I got bored even before the first coals were done. [/b][/color][b]Objectively, it's not utter shit; one would identify the flavour as being melon, it smokes, I've had worse, but it's not a patch on Nakhla Sweet Melon and I've chosen to waste about 30g of the stuff over wasting three more coals. You get the picture. Those who like AF might get on with it; it's comparable.[/b]