Domestic Violence Isn't A Joking Matter. Nor Is Sexual Assault.

it's much easier to convey one's tone verbally than in type.

Can we please remember that we're typing and no-one can hear our thoughts? So what one percieves as a joke another sees as offensive.

QUOTE (MeHT @ Feb 4 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a ton of stuff people may find offensive that's being joked about in the shoutbox. What's up with selective political correctness?..

if you see people do that you should report it. us mods arent everywhere and we do miss things.

Rrright...
If I'm offended by something in the shoutbox, I'll at most just inform the offender that he pushed the line, I won't run to the mods crying. What happened to freedom of speech?

Mentioning something illegal is one thing, joking about something that someone finds offensive is another.

Rape is illegal. So is slapping around your gf.

And are you still unde rthe mistaken idea that this forum has freedom of speach? Its a private forum and you either follow the rules or you don't get to post, simple as that. Anyone who doesn't like the rules can show their displeasure with their feet.

A lot of things being joked aobut is illegal. Just turn up Comedy Central some time.

It's just that singling out this topic as a "taboo" subject seems I don't know... somehow hypocritical.

Well...soem people are more easily offended than others. I'm actually very hard to offend.

Since I have been asked to Administrate this forum by the owners, they have approved my judgement in whats allowed and what's not. I think certain things are universally offensive, or should be. The two things this thread is about for instance. Having had friends and family abused and sexually assaulted before, I think I can say with a certain amount of authority that neither subject is funny. Note They aren't banned from discussion, merely banned from making jokes about or using in a joking manner, or did you miss that fine distinction?

are you guys really arguing the fact that we cannot joke about rape, or domestic abuse? im sure if you guys are really adamant about joking about that shit then you can find forums out there that specialize on those subjects. just dont do it here.

QUOTE (JDHarding @ Feb 4 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one seems to understand what hypocritical actually means.

It would be hypocritical if the mods were joking about rape and abuse, but cracked down on anyone else that spoke of it. That's hypocritical.

Thank you for helping my point. smile.gif